ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

The Rockets Diaspora Fallen on Hard Times So Far This Season
Tags:  aaron brooks, basketball, battier, bucks, chuck hayes, courtney lee, daryl morey, detroit pistons, hasheem thabeet, houston, houston rockets, injury, kings, kyle lowry, league, lost, marcus camby, nba, nene, new york knicks, pau gasol, roster, shane battier, suns Tags
Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Given the turnover in roster, some of us have been keeping an eye on the former Rockets rotation guys from the last couple of years who went elsewhere in the league. It seems that a unusually high number of them are not doing so hot. Of course, it's not like these guys were superstars, but they were starters or significant part of some slightly over .500 teams and it seems many of them tend to do worse than they were with Houston. For example:

1. Dragic and Scola are on the 7-11 Suns (13th place in the West). Scola lost his starting job several games back. They also had some recent bad losses (particularly the 40-pt loss to the Pistons).

2. Marcus Camby hasn't gotten any meaningful minutes for the Knicks.

3. Sam Dalembert only averages 17 mpg, and just got a DNP-CD for the Bucks.

4. Kyle Lowry's team is 4-13 (14th in the East) and he's had injury issues after a great first few games.

5. Chuck Hayes and Aaron Brooks are stuck on the 4-12 (15th place in the West) Kings.

6. Jordan "Bad Rookie" Hill is re-united with Mike D'Antoni and just got a DNP-CD.

7. Courtney Lee is doing OK, but can't find his 3pt shot.

8. Even momentary Rocket Pau Gasol and could-have-been Rocket Nene are suffering.

Kevin Martin is just about the only one doing well (unless you count guys who were gone from multiple years ago, Battier and Landry). Fellow Dust Bowl exile Hasheem Thabeet is doing better than he was (which is not saying much, really).

So... the curse of Daryl Morey?

Sponsored Link
DudeWah is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
DudeWah
Contributing Member
DudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26035
Budinger is injured atm but he'll probably do well in Minnesota

Grigori is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Grigori
Grigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGrigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
So... the curse of Daryl Morey?
Battier is like "My championship ring pisses all over your curse."

arjun is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
arjun
arjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finearjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finearjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2006
Member: #17957
good thing they are all ex rockets lol

arjun is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
arjun
arjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finearjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finearjun is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2006
Member: #17957
you forgot that tmac and terrence williams are over in china

WNBA is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
WNBA
WNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodWNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5973
Battier, got a ring.

stylus8088 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
stylus8088
stylus8088 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32485
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun View Post
you forgot that tmac and terrence williams are over in china
Don't forget Yao

flamingdts is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
flamingdts
flamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30398
It would appear that Kevin McHale is in fact a genius coach who helped these players overachieve, and now that they no longer play under his system they have fallen back to earth.

napalm_black is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
napalm_black
Contributing Member
napalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33900
It's a sign that Morey is doing his job.

I still like a lot of thsoe guys, though.

senter is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
senter
senter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodsenter is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46853
but what I really want to know is how Yao Ming is doing

Check out my music
www.sentermusic.com

youngshev03 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
youngshev03
youngshev03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26563
Just because you are on a team that sucks doesn't mean you aren't doing well. Dragic and Lowry are doing quite well actually.

kevC is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
kevC
Contributing Member
kevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemkevC is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24766
Rockets' situation being described as a Diaspora is so perfect. I love you, Carl.

tminusrex is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
tminusrex
Rookie
tminusrex is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51953
I hated last year's rockets team. I had the option of watching spurs basketball fortunately.

withmustard is offline Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
withmustard
withmustard is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodwithmustard is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9680
Really good post, Amigo.

I think Budinger only solidifies the posters case.

And I think Battier is exempt because he wasn't directly traded to Miami. He went to Memphis first and signed as a free agent. Didn't that eventually get us Donatas while shedding Brad Miller?

I guess that would exempt Brooks too in his Sac. stint, but he wasn't good for the suns either. The Suns regretted that decision sooo much they gave Dragic a 4th year.

Even in Martin's case, for the first time in his career, he's been demoted at his job. Less minutes, coming off the bench. ( I get it's OKC)

cjtaylorpt is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
cjtaylorpt
cjtaylorpt is James Harden -- racking up the pointscjtaylorpt is James Harden -- racking up the pointscjtaylorpt is James Harden -- racking up the pointscjtaylorpt is James Harden -- racking up the pointscjtaylorpt is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38284
Carl Landry is doing his thing.

You forgot how awesome Ariza is too. So I will say it, Ariza is awesome and I hope he retires a Rocket.

Billionzz is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Billionzz
Contributing Member
Billionzz is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBillionzz is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2002
Member: #7389
Oh yea, I completely forgot about Jordan Hill and D'Antoni issues, to bad for Jordan Hill.

pippendagimp is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
pippendagimp
pippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1853
scott brooks is doin okay..

htownrox1 is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
htownrox1
htownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43851
Rudy Gay, doing his thing.

heypartner is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Uh, did you just forget all about Linsanity in New York after Morey cut Lin?

Bball_Gill is offline Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Bball_Gill
Bball_Gill is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47516
I sort of did the same analysis a couple days ago. Really a lazy man's back of envelope type of thing. Never thought to look at how the former Rocket's new team is doing. Not much to learn there probably.

I just kind of took it by position. First that came to mind was the 2 spot. Thought I knew the answer. The 5, who cares about the numbers. I liked our two old guys, but we have the younger version in a way. Some presence in the middle, rebounds but few points. This year's Chandler is marginally better.

So I really only did research the one and the four. Patterson came out marginally better than Scola with Drajic marginally better than Lin. So we were a 500 team and are still a 500 team but now are the youngest in the league.

We need another player. Go Rockets.