ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?
houstonhoya is offline Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
houstonhoya
houstonhoya is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45272
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

very interesting stuff, haven't read the magazine article yet but looks to be good after reading this.

Quote:
Team owner Les Alexander on the Rockets philosophy: Alexander was a fascinating guy to interview. He's brusque, skeptical and quick-witted. He had a stack of poker chips on his desk -- from the Golden Nugget -- and he flipped through them as we talked. The previous night, he'd had dinner with Michael Lewis. The theme of their conversation was the same as the one Alexander and I had: risk. Alexander's philosophy on the subject as it pertains to the Rockets: "If you want to be really good and if you're not in L.A. or New York, you have to take a lot of risk. I'm willing to take a lot of risk."
Quote:
Daryl Morey on... His high school hoops career: "My career was like Luther Head's. I had a lot of time then I went downhill. By senior year I wasn't playing at all."

Sponsored Link
houstonhoya is offline Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
houstonhoya
houstonhoya is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45272
Quote:
Morey On... The Rockets' strategy of trying for every big-name player: "There's a chance for everything, even if the probability is low, so why not take a shot? That's one thing I don't understand about other teams, why they don't do it. Maybe for PR reasons."
i liked this

Grigori is offline Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Grigori
Grigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGrigori is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44899
Morey on whether he's involved with team promotions and game entertainment:

"No, thankfully not. I have all these opinions about the dancers but they should be kept to myself. No one consults me. I keep asking to be invited to the dance tryouts but no one ever allows me there. I'll just say this: My general philosophy is that you can teach them to dance.

rockbox is offline Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post

"No, thankfully not. I have all these opinions about the dancers but they should be kept to myself. No one consults me. I keep asking to be invited to the dance tryouts but no one ever allows me there. I'll just say this: My general philosophy is that you can teach them to dance.

Exactly! You can a girl to dance but you can't teach looks.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

BigM is offline Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
BigM
Contributing Member
BigM is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBigM is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2764
Quote:

Lmao, that is awesome!

Convictedstupid is online now Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Convictedstupid
Convictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
Exactly! You can a girl to dance but you can't teach looks.
And it's not like we're looking at their dance moves anyways.

If you're going to parade out girls in almost scantily clad clothes, I'm gonna look at their goods.

conquistador#11 is online now Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
"My career was like Luther Head's. I had a lot of time then I went downhill. By senior year I wasn't playing at all."

funniest thing i've read in a week since the football game thread.

DreamShook is online now Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=230064

1. disinclined or indisposed to believe in Jeremy Lin
2. indicating or showing unbelief in Jeremy Lin: a lincredulous dribble drive to the left.

khanhdum is offline Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
khanhdum
khanhdum is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finekhanhdum is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28223
Quote:

bands a make her dance

meh is offline Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
At first I felt sorry for Luther Head on the comparison. Then I remembered how he disappeared every playoff series for us, and stopped feeling sorry for him.

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Steve_Francis_rules
Steve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1023
Nice article. If only I lived in Houston, I would be a great fit for the analytics position they're trying to fill.

nachbarFTW is offline Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
nachbarFTW
nachbarFTW is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodnachbarFTW is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42989
Damn, cheap shot to Luther Head! haha I love DM the GM

“It should not be denied... that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations,
with absolute freedom, and the road has always led West.”

milica is offline Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
milica
milica is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52117
Doc Scheppler responded in a comment:

Quote:
DocScheppler

Chris. It's not a "new" shot. It's just reinforcing what we worked on last year. His arc should be 45 degrees and the rotation should be tight and synmetrical. When he shoots the ball in this manner, he is a great shooter. For example it'll be fun for you to watch the ball flight of his shots last year.

When he shoots with confidence there's a nice confident, assertive wrist snap. When he's wishing the ball, his arc gets higher and the result is a short miss... I want him to get back to shooting with out care and to believe in his shot.

Doc Scheppler