Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Timetable for McHale ?
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, lost, nba Tags
Rockets0515 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Rockets0515
Rockets0515 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #26901
So with Mchale being out for 2 weeks now... Anyone have any idea how long the Rockets will give him before they start looking for replacements?

Personally I want to see Mchale back and finish this season, but If he is out for another Month or 2 I think the season will be a lost cause and Rockets would have to go with someone new.

Sponsored Link
BeeBeard is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
There is no timetable, unfortunately.

It's a shame because Kelvin Sampson is so hilariously overmatched as an NBA head coach. He's made it quite obvious why he hasn't had a gig like this until now.

The sooner McHale can return, the better.

fv court is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
fv court
fv court is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6515
my guess is that McHale resign for personal reasons...I wish him well. I'd like to understand the hierarchy between the assistant coaches. It looks it is Sampson, Bickerstaff and Finch in that order. however we were all told that Finch was the head coach in waiting. If McHale does resign midseason will they hire an outsider or let Sampson finish the season?

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
As far as "how long is too long" to go without McHale, that's more of an internal matter, and only people like Daryl Morey and Les Alexander would have a definitive answer to a question like that.

We're left to only speculate. 5 more games? 10 more games? 20? Who can say.

shortfuse3 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
shortfuse3
shortfuse3 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodshortfuse3 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33297
I don't mind how long he takes. It's gotta be a pretty serious personal issue for him to miss this much time

I think Sampson is doing a fine job in his place.

Air Langhi is offline Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Air Langhi
Contributing Member
Air Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1843
I think coaching is overrated in basketball. I also don't think McHale is a good coach. If we had lebron or dwight this team would win 50-60 games.

RV6 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Cleverly disguised "I'm already tired of getting blown out" thread.

I seriously doubt Houston is going to fire him for taking care of his daughter. I wouldn't be surprised, if they let him sit out over half the season.

My feeling is L̶i̶n̶ Motiejunas needs another year, but team direction has shifted and shifted hard. It goes without saying this is going to be a very important year for J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶ Donatas Motiejunas.

quinnolivarez is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
quinnolivarez
quinnolivarez is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post

I seriously doubt Houston is going to fire him for taking care of his daughter. I wouldn't be surprised, if they let him sit out over half the season.
Agreed, + could you imagine the blowback the organization could receive from forcing a guy out when his daughter is really sick? They already have to deal with the Royce White situation - if they let McHale go and it wasn't 100% of his own volition, then we'd look like the most cold hearted and undesirable franchise to play for in the NBA.

asmith8266 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
asmith8266
asmith8266 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodasmith8266 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Langhi View Post
I think coaching is overrated in basketball. I also don't think McHale is a good coach. If we had lebron or dwight this team would win 50-60 games.
Yeah, the Lakers were dominating with Mike Brown...

JayZ750 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Was there ever any more info revealed? Curious minds... Wishing him the best - seems like a nice dude at least.

But I don't care when he gets back, honestly.

jondoe is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
jondoe
jondoe is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #27224
Well, not trying to brush off his ill daughter, but he needs to make a decision because the rox season is going down the toilet. Indefinite leave of absence by the coach affects a lot of people and a lot of careers. If he would step down to take care of his ill daughter, I'm sure the rox would give him a job in the organization when he returns. As I said, not making light of his ill daughter, but stuff like this happens in the real world too, and tough decisions are made all the time.

catch22 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
catch22
catch22 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37219
mcfail and sampfail both need to go, simply as that

makman is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
Don't want to speculate, but his daughter must be pretty ill and probably require his care even after she's better. Even if he were to return, he may not be here mentally or have his heart in it. I have a feeling he will resign even though I like him, but he isn't a great fit as a coach.

Rip Van Rocket is offline Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Rip Van Rocket
Contributing Member
Rip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2002
Member: #4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuse3 View Post
I don't mind how long he takes. It's gotta be a pretty serious personal issue for him to miss this much time

I think Sampson is doing a fine job in his place.
I agree 100%. I feel certain that Morey and Les will give McHale as much time as he needs, even if that's the rest of the season. McHale may ultimately make the decision to step down, but he won't be pressured to do so by the Rockets.

Deckard is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe View Post

Well, not trying to brush off his ill daughter, but he needs to make a decision because the rox season is going down the toilet. Indefinite leave of absence by the coach affects a lot of people and a lot of careers. If he would step down to take care of his ill daughter, I'm sure the rox would give him a job in the organization when he returns. As I said, not making light of his ill daughter, but stuff like this happens in the real world too, and tough decisions are made all the time.
While I haven't be terribly happy with the job McHale has been doing, our season went in the toilet when we put 11 new players on the roster and became the youngest team in the league by nearly a year. Making the playoffs would be a miracle. One I would enjoy, but very unlikely. McHale should have however much time he needs. Sampson? Not so much.

Rockets0515 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Rockets0515
Rockets0515 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #26901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post

Not at all. I just havent heard any news on Mchale and as much as I wish him and his family well, The Rockets cant waste a entire half a season wondering if and when he will come back.

If its going to be longer than a Month it would be best if Mchale just resigned in my opinion, and we could start working towards future rather than be stuck in neutral.

jae713 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
jae713
jae713 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejae713 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejae713 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31868
LMAO @ CF now wanting McHale back.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
BeeBeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae713 View Post
LMAO @ CF now wanting McHale back.
Getting rid of him due to out-of-this-world unrealistic expectations for the season was never some sort of consensus opinion. It was only the noisiest and most knee-jerk reactionary one--the kind that would get 8 threads per Rockets loss.

nbalopez23 is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
nbalopez23
nbalopez23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Langhi View Post
Look at the Bobcats with a good coach & look at the Cavs with a terrible coach in my eyes

Easy is offline Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6116
Can Morey make a decision to replace Sampson (say with Finch) while McHale is out? Or is this McHale's decision?