ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Why do Rockets fans want our rookies to strive for mediocrity by giving them PT quickly?
Tags:  basketball, draft, history, houston rockets, injury, nba, nba draft, yao ming Tags
meh is offline Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
If you look at Rockets history, players who played from the beginning of their rookie years have since never developed. So why do fans want history to repeat itself? Do people here want our rookies to stay at their current levels? I mean, in the past 15 years, basically only Yao Ming played from the start, and then developed his game over time.

List of failures?

Steve Francis - Never developed his game over the years
Luther Head - See above
Chase Budinger - See above
Eddie Griffin - Self Explanatory
Kenny Thomas - increase in stats over the years mainly due to playing time and not better game
Jason Collier - Couldn't even make it through half a season before getting yanked for being a bust
Micheal Dickerson - Would've probably been a success if wasn't traded and then suffered career ending injury 2 years later

Only Yao Ming, the #1 pick in the NBA draft, one of the hardest working, humble, high-motor player to ever play for us, has bucked the trend. Everyone else? Never became more than what they were entering the NBA.

If history has shown anything, it's that when rookies don't need to earn playing time, they don't care to improve.

Sponsored Link
leebigez is offline Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2700
Any reason why you create a million threads? I mean,I read every post in every thread and I can always find a thread to get into,but for some reason,every thought for you turn into a thread. Clutch has stated a warning about starting a lot of threads and if he doesn't say anything to you,fine keep doing it,just saying tho.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

Outlier is offline Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Outlier
Outlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16479
meh's threads are pretty good and make more sense than 80% of the other threads.

Joshfast is offline Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Joshfast
Contributing Member
Joshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemJoshfast is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3337
because these current players have no one in front of them except retreads and no-futures. play em'

So the Cowboys are self described as non-working class, non-cowboy sparkling glitter pansies.

BamBam is offline Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
BamBam
Contributing Member
BamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBamBam is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2003
Member: #14997
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
If you look at Rockets history, players who played from the beginning of their rookie years have since never developed. So why do fans want history to repeat itself? Do people here want our rookies to stay at their current levels? I mean, in the past 15 years, basically only Yao Ming played from the start, and then developed his game over time.

List of failures?

Luther Head - See above
Kenny Thomas - increase in stats over the years mainly due to playing time and not better game
Jason Collier - Couldn't even make it through half a season before getting yanked for being a bust
Micheal Dickerson - Would've probably been a success if wasn't traded and then suffered career ending injury 2 years later

Only Yao Ming, the #1 pick in the NBA draft, one of the hardest working, humble, high-motor player to ever play for us, has bucked the trend. Everyone else? Never became more than what they were entering the NBA.

If history has shown anything, it's that when rookies don't need to earn playing time, they don't care to improve.
"Dream"???

dobro1229 is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Its the ol "just because everyone's doing it" motto.

Very few teams stack as many youngsters on their roster as the Rockets, and so few veteran scrubs.

In recent years most teams have 1 or 2 top level talents and the rest of their roster spots are filled with poor performing contracts. So when they got a young rookie 1st round pick, they immediately were better than the underperforming well paid bottom talent players on the roster.

The Rockets, have actually had very good fortune with role players, and young players in past years making it extremely difficult for their rookies to earn PT over the guys who were already there.

On a team like the Hornets, a rookie like Ryan Roberts is probably already better as a rookie than any minimum contract player they would have put on the roster ahead of him in the first place.

The Rockets, in their situation, are always just stacking their talent pool, and letting the cream of the crop rise to the top over a 2 year span.

Raven is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Sam I Am and Big Shot Bob say hi.

RV6 is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
I dont think anyone really wants to just force PT on them. We want the coaches to give them an opportunity to possibly show they're more ready than is believed. Stick them in there early in the season, if they don't play well, then you can always take them out, send them to the dleague, bench, etc. There's plenty of rooks out there, on other teams, who get thrown in early and actually hold their own. We'll never know if we have someone like that, if we don't give them any "real" PT early on.

My feeling is L̶i̶n̶ Motiejunas needs another year, but team direction has shifted and shifted hard. It goes without saying — this is going to be a very important year for J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶ Donatas Motiejunas.

Nimo is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Nimo
Nimo is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51693
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post

List of failures?

Luther Head - See above

Chase was averaging almost 12 points a game for the wolves before getting injured.

And your list didn't include:

justtxyank is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
justtxyank
Contributing Member
justtxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2005
Member: #16238
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigez View Post
Any reason why you create a million threads? I mean,I read every post in every thread and I can always find a thread to get into,but for some reason,every thought for you turn into a thread. Clutch has stated a warning about starting a lot of threads and if he doesn't say anything to you,fine keep doing it,just saying tho.
Clutch has warned against starting bad threads. I don't think Clutch would have a problem with a million threads a day if they were all quality and generated good discussion.

Why do you have beef with meh?

Air Langhi is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Air Langhi
Contributing Member
Air Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAir Langhi is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1843
Maybe none of those guys were that great.

Marsarinian is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Marsarinian
Contributing Member
Marsarinian is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMarsarinian is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMarsarinian is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17892
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
Clutch has warned against starting bad threads. I don't think Clutch would have a problem with a million threads a day if they were all quality and generated good discussion.

Well, lee does have beef with everybody. On the other hand though, I must admit, this thread is quite pointless. :/

apollo33 is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
apollo33
apollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39124
How is Chase a failure, he's a second round pick getting major minutes

For God so loved the world that he gave his second Son, Jeremy Lin, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -Jeremy 3:16
-CH

leebigez is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post

Nah,just a million threads created on thoughts. I'm pretty sure there are threads discussing the same thing. I disagree with meh at times and I agree with him at times also. Nothing on fan boards are ever personal with me.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

CXbby is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
CXbby
Contributing Member
CXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigez View Post
Any reason why you create a million threads?
Because we need more threads that make sense to counter balance the overwhelming amount that don't. If you still can't tell which is which, you know where you belong.

Midixinormous is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Midixinormous
Midixinormous is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52639
Landry, Brooks, Patterson didnt get a lot of minutes in the rookie season and they all went on to be important contributors.

larsv8 is online now Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
I like the system of sending them to D-League to learn the system first. Makes players work hard and really cut down on their mistakes. Also weeds out players without the drive to do what it takes.

Worked for Patterson, and now for Morris.

Also gives a contractual advantage by getting to the third year of RFA status just before they are due for a breakout season. Anyone remember the Landry/Baker negotiations where we stole him for 3 million and he went on to be one of our best players that year?

The way they are approaching it is just plain smart.

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

meh is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Sam I Am and Big Shot Bob say hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
"Dream"???
I did say past 15 years, since I don't feel like going back through Rockets draft picks in their entire history. I won't comment on Dream since it's as pointless as suggesting McHale wouldn't play rookie Lebron if one appeared on this team.

Sam Cassell actually did have to prove his worth as a rookie. Scott Brooks was originally the Rockets backup PG. Cassell took over that job full time a couple of months in.

And Robert Horry is the poster child for NBA player complacency. All that natural talent, and decide he should just be a 3 point shooter. If he had actually developed his offensive game a bit, the Rockets might've gotten over the Sonics one of those years, and we wouldn't have had to trade for Barkley.

leebigez is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
leebigez
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXbby View Post
Because we need more threads that make sense to counter balance the overwhelming amount that don't. If you still can't tell which is which, you know where you belong.

You got your Thug-life tatoo yet or are you changing yourname to cxbby jackson? Lol. I must say,that was pretty funny. Good to see you back posting just in time to pub the face of the franchise.

makman is offline Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
The irony in all this is when has a fan ever given a player pt?

You also fail to take into account how mentally stable they are, how much experience they have, and how developed their game is.