ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Knicks are doing well post Lin
Tags:  basketball, heat, mavericks, nba, new york knicks, playoffs Tags
wizkid83 is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
wizkid83
Contributing Member
wizkid83 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodwizkid83 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2002
Member: #3975
I still think it's a bad move on their part of letting him go and replacing with Felton and Kidd but they're actually doing well so far. 4-0 with good wins against Heat and the Mavericks. I understand the sample size is small so don't know if they can keep it up or do as well in the playoffs, but it's interesting to see them do this well when they started last season so poorly.

Sponsored Link
ptR91 is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
ptR91
ptR91 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2011
Member: #48404
and amare

cheke64 is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
cheke64
cheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42238
We want mike no 'd' antoni.

DreamShook is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
A lot of experience on that team.

RV6 is online now Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
I dont think it's that surprising...Kidd has a ton of experience and is a good leader. Another year together means more familiarity and should mean better play. Novak also gained a ton of confidence.

My feeling is L̶i̶n̶ Motiejunas needs another year, but team direction has shifted and shifted hard. It goes without saying this is going to be a very important year for J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶ Donatas Motiejunas.

glimmertwins is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
glimmertwins
glimmertwins is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineglimmertwins is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18267
Ya, if Kidd does nothing else but get Melo to buy into a team concept, this could be a decent team. But the Knicks are doing well for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with Lin like the fact they are relatively healthy at the moment. I still think they are going to settle into a middle playoff seed and be out either in the 1st or second round assuming the teams above them don't have any major injuries.

"Everything looks like a nail to a hammer."

cfansnet is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
cfansnet
cfansnet is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcfansnet is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38069
Kidd is definitely a better and more experienced player than Lin (now at least) so they aren't going to suffer as much.

But the problem is that long term, they made a bad decision. They could have traded him for better assets if they didn't want him in the future.

The biggest issue for them is they have a win-now mentality, but their team simply isn't going to beat the best in a series. They basically traded their future for a good team that won't go all the way.

LC Rox Fan is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
LC Rox Fan
LC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51664
Melo playing the four, following in the footsteps of Bron Bron

gah is offline Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
gah
gah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35354
Long term , bad decision, short term, even Felton is a better fit. But the real crux has always been getting Melo and Amare to fit, wait till he comes back, I'm gonna lov it.

stl1622dc is offline Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
stl1622dc
stl1622dc is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2009
Member: #41626
Not a good sign if your best chance of winning is to have your $20M player come off the bench b/c he can't play with your other $20M player.

Regardless of on court performance, Lin was an asset and they gave him up for free. Who cares about luxury tax when their window is these next 2 years (and its the Knicks).

DonatasFanboy is offline Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
DonatasFanboy
DonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50323
Melo's been pretty awesome.

He did very well next to Billups too, so I can't say it's very surprising.
It seems like he's a guy who needs someone to lead him, but his pride gets in a way if it's not a hall of famer Kidd/Billups type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwins View Post
Ya, if Kidd does nothing else but get Melo to buy into a team concept, this could be a decent team. But the Knicks are doing well for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with Lin like the fact they are relatively healthy at the moment. I still think they are going to settle into a middle playoff seed and be out either in the 1st or second round assuming the teams above them don't have any major injuries.
Amare, Shumpert, Camby are out.

I never take an easy path. Easy paths are for quoters. - Donatas Motiejunas

pnr is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
pnr
pnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51940
Amare being out is a blessing for them right now. Watch when he comes back they go on a losing streak, unless one of Amare or Chandler come off the bench.

kuku is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
kuku
Contributing Member
kuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51720
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwins View Post
Woodson is a great regular season coach but when it comes to playoffs, he will be totally clueless and outcoached.

He still holds the NBA record on the losing end of most lopsided four-game sweep in NBA playoff history, when his 4th seeded Hawks swept by 3rd seeded Magic (25.3/game).

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
The biggest surprise to me has been that Raymond Felton

- was a borderline all-star for the Knicks two winters ago

- was traded to Denver in the massive, roster gutting Carmelo Anthony trade

- played in Portland last season where he was more or less terrible and hated by fans

- is now back in New York playing at a high level like nothing ever happened

What?

kuku is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
kuku
Contributing Member
kuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boardskuku is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51720
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeard View Post
The biggest surprise to me has been that Raymond Felton

- was a borderline all-star for the Knicks two winters ago

- was traded to Denver in the massive, roster gutting Carmelo Anthony trade

- played in Portland last season where he was more or less terrible and hated by fans

- is now back in New York playing at a high level like nothing ever happened

What?
Not being a Felton hater or anything. Based on his offseason conditioning and his work ethic, Felton's performance will regress. Wouldn't surprise me if Prigioni becomes Knicks starting PG later on in the season.

gtmkcp is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
gtmkcp
gtmkcp is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52134
Melo and the team was playing really well under Woodsen even from last year. In the playoff they just suffered from injuries, however it would have been hard for them to win against the Heat even if they weren't. They have a lot of the same players back (Melo, Tyson, Novak, JR, etc.) back. I don't believe Melo had a problem playing with Lin as some people think.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuku View Post
Not being a Felton hater or anything. Based on his offseason conditioning and his work ethic, Felton's performance will regress. Wouldn't surprise me if Prigioni becomes Knicks starting PG later on in the season.
You know I don't disagree with this. Consistency in his effort has always been Felton's problem.

Coban Hutton is offline Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Coban Hutton
Coban Hutton is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51769
Amare is out, so better defense, better spacing.

They're also shooting an incredible % of threes, which can't last statistically.

slickster is offline Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
slickster
slickster is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuku View Post
Woodson is a great regular season coach but when it comes to playoffs, he will be totally clueless and outcoached.

He still holds the NBA record on the losing end of most lopsided four-game sweep in NBA playoff history, when his 4th seeded Hawks swept by 3rd seeded Magic (25.3/game).
That's been the knock against him. But we'll see if he can win a series this season. He's done an exceptional job of getting players to buy in, play defense, and improve over the offseason.

He had young, inexperienced teams in atl, so that was certainly a factor. NYK are an experienced team. I think they can win a round in the playoffs.

Dreamin is offline Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
Dreamin
Dreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47905
No reason for them not to play well. They upgraded at the PG spot and Deepened their roster pretty much at every position.