ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract


Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
A little bit about Chris Finch
Tags:  2012, basketball, british, championship, chris finch, fired, germany, houston rockets, nba Tags
MrJason is offline Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
MrJason
Member
MrJason is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Member: #45120
    Reply With Quote
He's one of our assistant coaches and he's supposed to be the successor to McHale. I decided to look him up on wikipedia and this guys has an amazing track record IMO.

-Started off coaching the Sheffield Sharks in England. Winning several titles and a coach of the year in 1998.

-Moved to coach in Germany. This team went 4-13 and he got fired. (Which seems to be his lone bad stint)

-Moved to Belgium and led them to championship in 2005.

-2007 - Moved to coach the Dexia Mons-Hainaut where they lost by one point in the finals.

-2009 - coached the Rio Grade Vipers and won a championship and coach of the year.

This guys seems to be a winner everywhere he goes. He coached the British national team from 2009-2012 but recently resigned because he has "things in the States to concentrate on." (Which I'm assuming is the Rockets)

What do you guys think about him? Anyone have any idea on how he's been doing as an assistant?
 
Sponsored Link
Cstyle42 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Cstyle42
Member
Cstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodCstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,380
Member: #33157
    Reply With Quote
Make him head coach right now!

__________________
Rockets 125 Jazz 80
 
Mr. Clutch is offline Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Posts: 25,634
Member: #7931
    Reply With Quote
Offensive genius
 
DorianTurk is offline Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
DorianTurk
Member
DorianTurk is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDorianTurk is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 976
Member: #33853
    Reply With Quote
I think he's supposedly the "offensive coordinator" and runs an offense similar to adelman's. He should be the new coach in a year or two or even sooner but who knows...les might want a big name later to attach to our squad like d'antoni, if he doesnt go to la.

__________________
Follow me on twitter @DorianTurk89

Team Kuya West Productions
 
Coban Hutton is offline Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Coban Hutton
Member
Coban Hutton is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 450
Member: #51769
    Reply With Quote
I've heard nothing but good things about him, especially sports reporters. Supposedly a good Xs and Os guy.
 
MrJason is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
MrJason
Member
MrJason is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Member: #45120
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianTurk View Post
I think he's supposedly the "offensive coordinator" and runs an offense similar to adelman's. He should be the new coach in a year or two or even sooner but who knows...les might want a big name later to attach to our squad like d'antoni, if he doesnt go to la.
This is what's surprising to me. I remember when McHale came on to coach the team. He was saying that his staff is basically going to have "offensive coordinators" and "defensive coordinators." They will basically get credit for the offense or defense, respectively, while McHale is the voice of reason and motivation. Which makes me wonder if this current offense is Chris Finch's (who suppose to be the offensive genius) or if it's McHale's.

It might even be Finch's in practice but McHale makes the game time decision on X's and O's during timeouts. Anyone been to the practices and see how much Finch inputs in offense? Clutch?
 
mr. 13 in 33 is online now Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
mr. 13 in 33
Member
mr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,046
Member: #47563
    Reply With Quote
I bet he has plays for Mchale to run but Mchale keeps turning them down

__________________
Where were you when T-Mac did his 13 in 33

"Any fool with a d*** can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children" Laurence Fishburne

"Houston Rockets are a fun young team to watch" Walt Fraizer

When Mike Breen says "Bang" you just hit a big shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
Paul will flop maybe once a game
 
jocar is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
jocar
Member
jocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,869
Member: #27834
    Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if the plays we are running are his plays or Mchale's?
Would be very interesting to find out, with all this 'Mcfail' hate goin on up in hurrr
 
dobro1229 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,160
Member: #45354
    Reply With Quote
If you've been following the Rockets for longer than this season, Chris Finch is a name that you should be familiar with.

Finch's philosophy is on offense players should all the freedom in the world, and on defense they should none.

One thing I can tell you about Finch's coaching style is that he is very much a believer in studying efficiencies in an offensive system & his players and exploiting those aspects of his roster with the players he has. Very smart guy and very flexible with the system he runs. So yes, he's very much in tune with the analytical approach to the game that the front office is innovative at.

Another thing to note- he loves to go small when his team is outmatched. Something that has probably bled into the Rockets coaching preparation in the past couple seasons. McHale and Sampson haven't necessarily been small ball advocates with any of the teams they coached before coming to Houston. I take it that this is Finch's influence to the coaching gameplay.

So in short- If you don't like someone with an analytical approach to the game, and you don't like small ball... Finch is not your guy.

If Finch was promoted to head coach for some reason, I don't think this team would be coached that much differently IMO. Its possible that certain players might not get the large amount of minutes that other get, but I don't think he would be playing the rookies any more than McHale given the fact that none of them would be consistently efficient players at this junction, and he certainly wouldn't be taking the ball out of Harden's hands much more than McHale is right now.

The one major difference I could see is Finch being a little bit more exploratory in making changes either to the rotation or the play calling. I still don't think he would make extreme changes to a new team after 5 games, but I could see him exploring more than McHale would.

I would love to see what Finch could do with a young rebuilding NBA team like the Rockets, but for the fans who think the grass might be greener on the other side of the bench, I don't think it would be that much different then what you already see.
 
MrJason is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
MrJason
Member
MrJason is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Member: #45120
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
If you've been following the Rockets for longer than this season, Chris Finch is a name that you should be familiar with.

Finch's philosophy is on offense players should all the freedom in the world, and on defense they should none.

One thing I can tell you about Finch's coaching style is that he is very much a believer in studying efficiencies in an offensive system & his players and exploiting those aspects of his roster with the players he has. Very smart guy and very flexible with the system he runs. So yes, he's very much in tune with the analytical approach to the game that the front office is innovative at.

Another thing to note- he loves to go small when his team is outmatched. Something that has probably bled into the Rockets coaching preparation in the past couple seasons. McHale and Sampson haven't necessarily been small ball advocates with any of the teams they coached before coming to Houston. I take it that this is Finch's influence to the coaching gameplay.

So in short- If you don't like someone with an analytical approach to the game, and you don't like small ball... Finch is not your guy.

If Finch was promoted to head coach for some reason, I don't think this team would be coached that much differently IMO. Its possible that certain players might not get the large amount of minutes that other get, but I don't think he would be playing the rookies any more than McHale given the fact that none of them would be consistently efficient players at this junction, and he certainly wouldn't be taking the ball out of Harden's hands much more than McHale is right now.

The one major difference I could see is Finch being a little bit more exploratory in making changes either to the rotation or the play calling. I still don't think he would make extreme changes to a new team after 5 games, but I could see him exploring more than McHale would.

I would love to see what Finch could do with a young rebuilding NBA team like the Rockets, but for the fans who think the grass might be greener on the other side of the bench, I don't think it would be that much different then what you already see.
Great insight! Repped.
 
dachuda86 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
dachuda86
Member
dachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2008
Posts: 6,431
Member: #31678
    Reply With Quote
I think you're confusing euro league and d league for the NBA.


WHY WAIT for an unproven coach at the NBA level?

This doesn't add up. At all.





Also why fire one of the best, proven coached in the sport today?






There is something not being told to the public.

__________________
Ketchup and Mustard.
 
HMMMHMM is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,966
Member: #47207
    Reply With Quote
Let's be honest - nobody on this board knows how good a coach Chris Finch is. Nobody.

How would you know that Finch is an offensive genius/mastermind or great with X's and O's? Did you watch extensive tape of the Vipers or Team GB? No, you didn't. No sane person does.
All this "Finch is a great coach, great offensive mind" came/is coming from the Rockets, who obviously are very much biased.
They'd tell you just as much and more great things about coach McHale, who many on this board obviously think is a bad coach.

In the few games I've watched Finch as head coach (a few Vipers quarters and a couple of GB games), I never got the expression that he was some kind of offensive genius. His offense didn't look anything like Adelman's either, which is fine because he may not had the right personal for it -- or he just likes to do other things.

We just don't know.
 
Aruba77 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Aruba77
Contributing Member
Aruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 1999
Posts: 6,058
Member: #589
    Reply With Quote
Yeah all I know is he's been a winner everywhere he's gone. Seems like he's got a lot of passion for the game; a guy who will get his opportunity somewhere eventually.
 
dobro1229 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,160
Member: #45354
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Let's be honest - nobody on this board knows how good a coach Chris Finch is. Nobody.

How would you know that Finch is an offensive genius/mastermind or great with X's and O's? Did you watch extensive tape of the Vipers or Team GB? No, you didn't. No sane person does.
All this "Finch is a great coach, great offensive mind" came/is coming from the Rockets, who obviously are very much biased.
They'd tell you just as much and more great things about coach McHale, who many on this board obviously think is a bad coach.

In the few games I've watched Finch as head coach (a few Vipers quarters and a couple of GB games), I never got the expression that he was some kind of offensive genius. His offense didn't look anything like Adelman's either, which is fine because he may not had the right personal for it -- or he just likes to do other things.

We just don't know.

You are correct that nobody knows how good or bad he is on an NBA level. And Offensive mastermind/Adelman type coach.... no way. He might know how to run the Princeton offense, but Ive never seen it from a team he's coached.

I'll admit i didn't watch a ton of RGV games two years ago, but most of what I have seen is from watching GB play this past Summer. I really tried hard to watch the play calling, and style as it compares to the Rockets.

You know what I saw... Alot of small ball sets similar to what the Rockets use(didn't have much of a choice due to lack of size). Spread the floor, move the ball side to side, high P&R, penetrate to the basket, lots of 3's. Nothing real groundbreaking. Pretty simple basketball.

Go to the 30 second mark of this video. Look at the offensive set they are running. Does that set look familiar?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzflJ...feature=relmfu

Your right that nobody should be able to claim that he is any sort of mastermind right now because he's never done it at this level of play with NBA players none the less. However, from what Ive seen in small doses tells me that the Rockets would probably be a very similar looking team if Finch was the head coach now of the Rockets. Similar play calling, sets, and rotations.
 
hoopstar39 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
hoopstar39
Member
hoopstar39 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 228
Member: #51526
    Reply With Quote
Who would have guessed that Morey would find a diamond in the rough guy from the d-league? Jk...but I like both Sampson and finch but I think Sampson has more respect from the players. Both will be an Integral part of the team's future

__________________
New Age
 
coachbadlee is offline Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,491
Member: #45147
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
A little bit about Chris Finch
I have a feeling we are about to find out a lot more about him.

__________________
"James Harden's defense is only a problem when his offense becomes a problem."
Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard
 
JerryH is offline Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
JerryH
Member
JerryH is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 44
Member: #52675
    Reply With Quote
The guy is a nobody, coached in some of the weakest leagues in Europe and never even coached a Euroleague team. His results with the Great Britain team are poor too as they never won against a good team. Why is Morey so high on Finch?
 
MrJason is offline Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
MrJason
Member
MrJason is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Member: #45120
    Reply With Quote
Can't blame the man for not doing good with the Great Britain team. Did you see the team?
 
Alex L. is offline Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Alex L.
Contributing Member
Alex L. is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,069
Member: #51861
    Reply With Quote
I hope Finch has a chance to act as the head coach the team for a game when McHale is out.
 
Outlier is offline Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Outlier
Member
Outlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,988
Member: #16479
    Reply With Quote
Clutchfans, where the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q&A With Chris Finch mr. 13 in 33 Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 4 10-04-2012 05:51 PM
Jason Friedman: Q&A with Chris Finch desi tmac91 Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 17 11-21-2011 09:51 AM
What about Chris Finch? Hayesfan Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 12 04-19-2011 09:46 PM
Interview with Chris Finch RGV coach sime0n Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 0 01-07-2010 12:52 PM
Chris Finch named as Vipers head coach worzel gummidge Rio Grande Valley Vipers 3 09-30-2009 08:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.