ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings
hotballa is offline Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
hotballa
Contributing Member
hotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #10072
Couldn't watch the game last night because I have NBA LP Mobile and that doesn't have any national broadcast or NBA TV games. Followed the game on gamecast and nearly had a heart attack during the last 1:30 of the game where we got real close but then gave up like a gazillion offensive rebounds to the Grizz. We have a bunch of 4's on the roster but apparently none of them can grab a rebound to save their life. The only guy putting in work down low is Omer while the 4's are on the wing jacking up 3's like there's no tomorrow.

IMO guys like PatPat, Morris, D-Mo are all the same soft big men that do not belong on the floor until they learn to bang inside on BOTH ends of the floor. Anyone see any solutions on our roster for this? The obvious choice is Terrence Jones, who looked like he had a willingness to play down low in the preseason. You'd think that a coach who played inside for a living would understand this, but apparently he wants to be D'Antoni Dos.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.p...&postcount=761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
Some women like to be beaten. Most women actually encourage men to beat them, even though they will never admit it.

Sponsored Link
jocar is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
jocar
jocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjocar is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #27834
He watches them every day at practice, I'm sure he knows what they're capable of. This is a final audition for PPat and MM. I'd rather they get consistent time now and remove all doubt. Put it all on the table and know for sure if they are starter/2nd unit foundation players.

JayGoogle is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
JayGoogle
JayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayGoogle is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Member: #26991
Marcus Morris is a small forward.
They should be playing Jones.

dobro1229 is offline Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Not sure what you're issue is here. The Rockets held 2 very good offense teams that I consider contending quality teams to 93 points each game.

If its defense in the paint, I have to disagree with your quam. The Rockets have shown that they are going to be a very good interior defensive minded team.

Where they have struggled thus far is the 20+ turnovers they are averaging, and their stagnant offensive sets with very little ball movement.

So what's the problem with the young bigs banging in the post and how does that actually impact success right now with this team? Because I dont see what you're talking about as it relates to success on the court.

Billionzz is offline Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Billionzz
Contributing Member
Billionzz is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBillionzz is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2002
Member: #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotballa View Post
Couldn't watch the game last night because I have NBA LP Mobile and that doesn't have any national broadcast or NBA TV games. Followed the game on gamecast and nearly had a heart attack during the last 1:30 of the game where we got real close but then gave up like a gazillion offensive rebounds to the Grizz. We have a bunch of 4's on the roster but apparently none of them can grab a rebound to save their life. The only guy putting in work down low is Omer while the 4's are on the wing jacking up 3's like there's no tomorrow.

IMO guys like PatPat, Morris, D-Mo are all the same soft big men that do not belong on the floor until they learn to bang inside on BOTH ends of the floor. Anyone see any solutions on our roster for this? The obvious choice is Terrence Jones, who looked like he had a willingness to play down low in the preseason. You'd think that a coach who played inside for a living would understand this, but apparently he wants to be D'Antoni Dos.
D-Mo hasn't seen the floor.

jbasket is offline Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
jbasket
Contributing Member
jbasket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjbasket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjbasket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsjbasket is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
Not sure what you're issue is here. The Rockets held 2 very good offense teams that I consider contending quality teams to 93 points each game.

If its defense in the paint, I have to disagree with your quam. The Rockets have shown that they are going to be a very good interior defensive minded team.

Where they have struggled thus far is the 20+ turnovers they are averaging, and their stagnant offensive sets with very little ball movement.

So what's the problem with the young bigs banging in the post and how does that actually impact success right now with this team? Because I dont see what you're talking about as it relates to success on the court.
Absolutely right. But people just don't seem to realize holding gasol and randolph, holding aldridge, and holding smith is something we STRUGGLED with greatly last year. People take it for granted.

Rotating is a gimmick.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435

I want to see what's inside these presents too, OP, but you'll just have to wait. These things require patience.

cdastros is offline Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
cdastros
cdastros is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7898
I think they should be playing Greg Smith.

CoolColJ is offline Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
CoolColJ
CoolColJ is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #9122
No one is boxing out, fundamentals

playing rookies would make it even worse...

tigernet is offline Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
tigernet
Contributing Member
tigernet is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2003
Member: #12007
I think it is coach's job to teach the details and discipline. In at least two games, 2 or 3 rockets fought for the rebounds by themselves while no opponents close by. Then the ball was hit out of bound by themselves.

Boxing out for rebound is another proof that coach did poor job in teaching.

In Jeff Van Gundy era, we were able to beat a lot of better teams due to the discipline.

Dreamin is offline Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Dreamin
Dreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDreamin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotballa View Post
We have a bunch of 4's on the roster but apparently none of them can grab a rebound to save their life. The only guy putting in work down low is Omer while the 4's are on the wing jacking up 3's like there's no tomorrow.

IMO guys like PatPat, Morris, D-Mo are all the same soft big men that do not belong on the floor until they learn to bang inside on BOTH ends of the floor.
Absolutely right. We desperately need a PF with the ability to grab rebounds and be a force inside the paint on both ends. A Love or Aldridge would be just too hard to get. But we could definitely use a Taj Gibson or Kenneth Faried type guy.

Pat, Morris and D-MO just dont have physicality or mentality to become that type of player. Id love to see Terrance Jones get a chance.

Mr. Clutch is offline Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7931
Two names: Terrence Jones.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Two names: Terrence Jones.
I dunno man. Summer league is summer league. Preseason is preseason. I almost hope Jones will get some burn just so people will be less obsessed with the possibility of Jones and will see he's just like any other rookie who is working on his game but isn't quite ready for prime time.

Or maybe he scores 20 points in 20 minutes and usurps Patterson for the starting job? I mean after all this internet-hype, I'm honestly curious myself.

roxxy is offline Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeard View Post
I dunno man. Summer league is summer league. Preseason is preseason. I almost hope Jones will get some burn just so people will be less obsessed with the possibility of Jones and will see he's just like any other rookie who is working on his game but isn't quite ready for prime time.

Or maybe he scores 20 points in 20 minutes and usurps Patterson for the starting job? I mean after all this internet-hype, I'm honestly curious myself.
I get that it is just pre-season. But Terrence was the only player who I have seen roll hard to the rim off of the pnr. We desperately need that seing as how we have two elite pnr guards. Honestly, Terrence is the only rookie I think that deserves playing time. None of the other 3 are ready.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

Fullcourt is offline Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Fullcourt
Contributing Member
Fullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #28396
Generally, it's this and our carelessness with the rock (TOs) that make us so bad. The horrid shooting doesn't help either.

hotballa is offline Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
hotballa
Contributing Member
hotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the points
Member: #10072
Once again, our lack of inside presence aside from Omer kills us. Every frigging game, I see the opposing team grab a few crucial offensive rebounds and get themselves second chances. Do we need to hire a rebounding coach or something? I see our backcourt guys block out for rebounds more than our frontcourt guys. Embarrassing. Just embarrassing.

I know we are all about developing our young talent in the frontcourt, but if they can't do simple stuff like boxing out, I don't want to waste my time with them. That's something that could come to them as second nature. I'd rather get a vet PF who will at the very least box out and grab important rebounds. We have young players at every position, it's not realistic to think we can develop all of them.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.p...&postcount=761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
Some women like to be beaten. Most women actually encourage men to beat them, even though they will never admit it.

crash5179 is offline Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
Last nights game is a bad example for you to use. 2Pat actually scored a lot of points in the paint and grappled a lot of rebounds. Maybe you should watch the games instead of just keeping up with it thru the box score and making judgments.

infinitidoug is offline Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
infinitidoug
infinitidoug is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionzz View Post
D-Mo hasn't seen the floor.
and he won't be for a while since he's with the d-league vipers

Blurr#7 is offline Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Blurr#7
Contributing Member
Blurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28751
Whatever! I want three's, three's and more three's! If there was a 4 pointer I would want my PF and Center chucking them too!

Carl Herrera is offline Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
The one bad offensive rebound allowed last night on the FT came from a long bounce. They could have done better and certainly should have Asik on that play, but it is one of those where the offensive team has a chance due to the trajectory of the ball.

If you look at the season overall, the Rockets are an average defensive rebounding team so far (league average defensive rebound %= 73.4%, Rockets are at 73.1%). They are actually quite a bit above average on the offensive boards (30% O Reb % vs. 26.6% league average).

The Rockets actually do a pretty decent job of defending around the rim, the opposing team's FG% around at the rim for the Rockets is ranked 7th best in the NBA. They do allow a high portion of opposing teams shots to come at the rim (not a good thing), but that's somewhat offset by the relatively low FG% that they allow around the rim and by the fact that the Rockets are great at avoiding fouls (and thus giving up some of the highest % attempts out there: Free Throws).