ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets
TheMystery008 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
TheMystery008
TheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsTheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsTheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsTheMystery008 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51891
Original Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA
HOUSTON - “There’s no hit the fast forward button here,” said the star player of a 2-2 team Wednesday night while attempting to explain how finding chemistry on the basketball court can be a tricky, finicky and frequently time-consuming ordeal. As much as we might wish there were, there’s simply no shortcut to this process. It is a painstaking affair that is often an exercise in patience. And unless you have a DeLorean hardwired with a flux capacitor handy, there’s simply no way to skip the inevitable growing pains along the way.

So which Rockets player delivered that particular quote? James Harden? Jeremy Lin? No on both counts. In fact, it didn’t originate from the Rockets’ locker room at all. That line comes courtesy of Boston Celtics’ superstar Kevin Garnett, who was doing his best to explain how his team just barely managed to beat the woeful Washington Wizards Wednesday night, in Boston no less, nudging the Celtics’ overall record to 2-2 in the process – hardly the start expected from a team coming off a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals and after an offseason during which, by all accounts, Boston strengthened its already-impressive squad.

Hopefully you see where I’m going with this. If the Celtics, with their incredible, experienced and veteran core of KG, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo are still struggling to hit their groove, why on earth should we be surprised that the Rockets, owners of the youngest roster in the NBA and a team that has been together in its current incarnation all of 10 days, are experiencing some sputtering of their own as they endeavor upon their journey to find chemistry and an identity to call their own?

The easy answer: We shouldn’t be.

(Beverley - Harden - Ariza - Jones - Howard)

Sponsored Link
trowa is offline Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
trowa
trowa is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52225
yup, we need tjones.

Deckard is online now Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
I don't know. I used to have a shortcut to Chemistry. Got there on time, but god, I hated that class. The Periodic Table can kiss my arse!

GATER is offline Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
GATER
Contributing Member
GATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1630
Probably just me. But I find it worrisome that the Rockets need career or league-leading scoring from Harden to beat the dregs of the EC.

I find it strangely odd that teams with talent seem to develop "chemistry". Out of the clear blue...Kobe, Pau and Dwight will suddenly go on a winning streak. And some will want to attribute it "chemistry". Perhaps "talent" might have had some input?

(Sorry KG...but aging talent just might not pack enough "chemistry" these days).

Most die-hards on the board will struggle with it. They'll angrily over-react. But...in spite of cap flexibility, draft picks, and "assets"...the Rockets are still short on talent.

Like I've said before...it's no longer Summer League.

meh is offline Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Kevin McHale needs to stop worrying about Chemistry and start worrying about

A) Giving Terrence Jones playing time
B) Giving Jeremy Lin higher usage rate

This will save me the time and effort to sort through all the fire McHale/why no play rookie/Lin needs ___ threads and view some more fruitful discussions.

meh is offline Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER View Post
Probably just me. But I find it worrisome that the Rockets need career or league-leading scoring from Harden to beat the dregs of the EC.

I find it strangely odd that teams with talent seem to develop "chemistry". Out of the clear blue...Kobe, Pau and Dwight will suddenly go on a winning streak. And some will want to attribute it "chemistry". Perhaps "talent" might have had some input?

(Sorry KG...but aging talent just might not pack enough "chemistry" these days).

Most die-hards on the board will struggle with it. They'll angrily over-react. But...in spite of cap flexibility, draft picks, and "assets"...the Rockets are still short on talent.

Like I've said before...it's no longer Summer League.
Isn't it natural for people new to their jobs to take longer to develop chemisty with their co-workers? While veterans who have done the same job for years would take less time?

Pizza_Da_Hut is offline Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Pizza_Da_Hut
Pizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13337
That's not true at all. The other day I ran a plug instead of a column. Heck, sometimes I run distillations in place of a column

Oh, you mean chemistry between personalities... I agree, it will take time for these guys to mesh, but with them being so young and every one of them having something to prove it will go by really quickly.

Wild about them Cats!

jim1961 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
jim1961
jim1961 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejim1961 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejim1961 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44950
1) We have the youngest team in the league, meaning the least experienced.
2) We only have 4 players from last year on the team
3) We have only played 4 games
4) Our best player has been on the team barely a week

How many years did it take for the Hakeem era Rockets to get the right players and play well consistently? Is Harden as good as Hakeem?

The above should give perspective to things for those that feel all the cogs should be in sinc already.

REEKO_HTOWN is online now Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
All McHale needs to do is give the guys two shots of Patron and wait 30 mins. Instant chemistry. Trust me.

Pizza_Da_Hut is offline Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Pizza_Da_Hut
Pizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEKO_HTOWN View Post
All McHale needs to do is give the guys two shots of Patron and wait 30 mins. Instant chemistry. Trust me.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Now if it was some good Glenfiddich and some cigars I might agree with you good sir. Can Jeremy Lin even drink?

Wild about them Cats!

BigShotBob is offline Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
BigShotBob
BigShotBob is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43535
Arsenic Sulfur!

REEKO_HTOWN is online now Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #32179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Da_Hut View Post
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Now if it was some good Glenfiddich and some cigars I might agree with you good sir. Can Jeremy Lin even drink?
Sir I use my tried and tested technique on da ladies. Why would a 6'7 basketball player be any different?

BraveFox is offline Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
BraveFox
BraveFox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBraveFox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52628
When the caterpillar is transforming into butterfly its doesn't simply grow wings and becomes butterfly...no.....first it rather totally desintegrates into 'catterpillar soup' and then out of the catterpillar soup beggins the creation and growth of the butterfly...

thats why the learning curve has its ups and downs no mater what skill we learn... there are some phases in the learning curve when no matter effort and practice, the skill is going down...

on the contrary in that period, the more you practice the more it goes down...that's why its's important to relax and not to force...somebody nicely noticed that we're better of playing on instinct i 1st two games than after having some time to practice plays together...

conquistador#11 is online now Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsconquistador#11 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
chemistry would look much better without the teenwolf offense. There is the perfect time for it, but not through the first 47 minutes of the game. Move the ball don't let it get "sticky"

sando is offline Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
sando
sando is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #27014
How about Lakers?

Pizza_Da_Hut is offline Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Pizza_Da_Hut
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEKO_HTOWN View Post
Sir I use my tried and tested technique on da ladies. Why would a 6'7 basketball player be any different?
Sir, I think your method might be too effective... The next thing we know Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin hook up, then a lovers quarrel and then someone demands a trade... At least that has been my experiences with tequila and women.

Wild about them Cats!

torocan is offline Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
torocan
torocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52386
Quote:
Can Jeremy Lin even drink?
Last year, the Papparazi caught Jeremy Lin out at a nightclub with his team mates.

Not only did he stay out until 1:00am, but they caught him red-handed with a light Beer!

Hopefully his party animal ways haven't caught up with him...

BONIERO1576 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
BONIERO1576
BONIERO1576 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBONIERO1576 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9888
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador#11 View Post
chemistry would look much better without the teenwolf offense. There is the perfect time for it, but not through the first 47 minutes of the game. Move the ball don't let it get "sticky"
Yeah, we haven't even gotten to the point of worrying about chemistry. Judging from last night they don't even know how to run the offense yet, and that was after three days of practice.

cbb139 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
cbb139
cbb139 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18511
I am not so concerned with chemistry, given time, these guys will get it right. I am concerned with the backup point guard, that Douglas, he can defend, but shooting and running an offense? Ugh! Wasn't he the pg for Knicks before Link took over?

alethios is offline Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
alethios
alethios is Omer Asik -- working the boardsalethios is Omer Asik -- working the boardsalethios is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #32552
Quote:
That's not true at all. The other day I ran a plug instead of a column. Heck, sometimes I run distillations in place of a column

Oh, you mean chemistry between personalities... I agree, it will take time for these guys to mesh, but with them being so young and every one of them having something to prove it will go by really quickly.
I actually understood what you first meant, actually having worked as a chemistry tech at a nuclear power facility for a number of years, though our focus was on metals and inorganic chemistry. We need to focus on organic chemistry for the Rockets. There's some NBA skills in our group that need to re-combine.

I second the single malt titration model for improving chemistry.