ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Vince Carter open to a Toronto Raptors return
Tags:  2012, basketball, bitterness, canada, contest, dallas, draft, images, jersey, league, michael jordan, nba, nets, new jersey, new jersey nets, oakland, olympics, playoffs, radio, raptors, tickets, toronto, toronto raptors, usa, vince carter Tags
mr. 13 in 33 is online now Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
mr. 13 in 33
mr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47563
Quote:
After admitting to being open to the possibility of returning in some form to the team that acquired him on draft day in 1998, current Dallas Maverick and former Toronto Raptor Vince Carter again attempted to reconcile with the city and team he was traded from nearly eight years ago.

Since not long after the departure, Carter has attempted to patch the wounds he left behind as his career in Toronto wound down, repeatedly saying he loved the city and enjoyed the six years he spent there.

He took things one step further in an interview on TSN Radio 1050 on Tuesday, saying he would welcome the opportunity to finish his career where it all began.

"If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don't even think I'd let them finish the question. Yes. I'm in," Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.

"Could I see it? Absolutely," Carter continued. "I'd leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I'd be a fool to ever forget that."

At this point, Carter's feelings are known, but the question is, how would Raptors fans feel about the return of the franchise's greatest player to date?

Has enough time passed to forgive and forget the moments that defined his last days in the city, or are basketball fans still bitter over the way things transpired in his final days, culminating in his one-sided trade to the New Jersey Nets?

His supporters will point to the fact that the former fifth overall pick was the driving force behind what was and still is the franchise's greatest run of success, including the team's only playoff series win in 2001.His high-flying, highlight reel play made the Raptors one of the league's hottest tickets and for a time, comparisons with Michael Jordan didn't seem that far-fetched.

His off-the-charts performance in the Slam Dunk Contest in Oakland in 2000, coupled with the gold medal he won with Team USA at the Sydney Olympics later that year, vaulted him to superstar status.

The bar he set in his first three seasons was one he could never live up to however, and the following three years were defined by injuries and uninspired play.

To make matters worse, as Carter's play declined, so did the team's and Carter's lackadaisical, care-free demeanor became an easy target that allowed fans to vent their frustration.

The bitterness was only emphasized after the trade to the Nets when he seemed to become re-energized, returning to his prior All-Star form, leading New Jersey to the playoffs for three consecutive seasons, while the Raptors sunk to the bottom of the NBA standings.

Still, as the years have passed, each time he has returned to the Air Canada Centre in a visitor's uniform, the negative reaction has dissipated, to the point where booing him now has almost become an afterthought.

The question is: Are Raptors fans at a point where they would accept him back in one way or another?

Would you like to see him return to play for the team that drafted him more than 14 years ago?

What about a one-day contract which would allow him to retire as a Raptor?

Is he deserving of an on-court ceremony where his accomplishments with the franchise are recognized?To what extent, if any, would you like to see Vince Carter back with the Raptors?
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=409016

"Any fool with a d*** can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children" Laurence Fishburne

"Houston Rockets are a fun young team to watch" Walt Fraizer

When Mike Breen says "Bang" you just hit a big shot

"Hardens defense has improved but its kinda like are Mcdonalds french fries better or more healthier than Burger Kings french fries"- Brent Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
Paul will flop maybe once a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Parsons >>>>>> Ariza.

Sponsored Link
htownrox1 is offline Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
htownrox1
htownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43851
Where does it say he's going back to Toronto?

T-Slack is offline Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
T-Slack
T-Slack is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43038
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownrox1 View Post
Where does it say he's going back to Toronto?
It doesn't. It just says he would like to finish his career with them. Its just his way of trying to wiggle in an extra year or 2 to stay in the nba.

MONON is offline Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
MONON
MONON is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2002
Member: #3969
Title is definately missleading! I thought he had been traded/waived.

apollo33 is offline Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
apollo33
apollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39124
I would go to almost every raptors game if VC comes back

My absolute favorite player when I was young

so sad seeing his career die, and to think we could've had him with Yao and Artest in 09 makes me wanna cry.

For God so loved the world that he gave his second Son, Jeremy Lin, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -Jeremy 3:16
-CH

Jontro is offline Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Jontro
Jontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45137
Time really flies by. Vince is up there in age now.

It's weird seeing players I grew up with are now in the league for their 10-13th season.

underrated015 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
underrated015
underrated015 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35218
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo33 View Post
I would go to almost every raptors game if VC comes back

My absolute favorite player when I was young

so sad seeing his career die, and to think we could've had him with Yao and Artest in 09 makes me wanna cry.
remember seeing tmac trade for his cousin on sportscenter, soon after that tmac announced his microfracture surgery.

R0ckets03 is offline Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
R0ckets03
Contributing Member
R0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereR0ckets03 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 1999
Member: #977
I'm also open to join a Victoria Secret orgy.

Why should Toronto give a **** what Carter wants. He's a has been.

Ricksmith is offline Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Ricksmith
Contributing Member
Ricksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: May 2009
Member: #41990
Vince Carter's Raptors jersey was the first non-Rocket jersey I ever wanted. Wow... I was in elementary school at the time, and I'm almost 25 now.

swyyyguy is offline Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
swyyyguy
swyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29829
VC is so sick

HOUSTON ASTROS

u mirin' brah?

swyyyguy is offline Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
swyyyguy
swyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsswyyyguy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29829
vinsanity > linsanity

HOUSTON ASTROS

u mirin' brah?

tinman is offline Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyyyguy View Post
VC is so sick
he might be sick, but thank goodness for him he doesn't have bad knees

Yung-T is offline Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Yung-T
Yung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemYung-T is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #40202
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyyyguy View Post
VC is so sick
At first thought this was a post from 2000 that somehow appeared in this thread.

I to believe that Davis has Garnett potential. I also feel that Lamb has McGrady potential. Terrence Jones has the potential to be better than Bosh. Royce has the potential to be another Majic Johnson.

3 potentials > 1 potential.
jvu - Yeah and I love the D. So PG is perfect for me!

jvu - I am not a fan of harden's D.

Raven is offline Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Translated, I want to use my tainted legacy to milk one or two more seasons out of my mostly wasted career.