ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Cleveland's Backcourt of the Future
Tags:  basketball, cleveland, dion waiters, los angeles clippers, nba Tags
redlawn is offline Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
redlawn
redlawn is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51939
NBA backcourt of the future? Kyrie Irving (24pts) and Dion Waiters (28pts) both had monster games to beat the Clippers tonight. They're both only 20 years old. What do you guys think?

"For 20 games he was one of the best in the league and he was dominating from the headlines to even on the basketball court. So you can't discount that he'll never be able to do it, because not only did he do it, he did it at the highest level possible."

"Let a thousand flowers bloom"

Sponsored Link
jeffvangundy is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
jeffvangundy
jeffvangundy is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36173
Man! those two and Varejao came to play tonight, clutch bucket after clutch bucket. Definitely a solid backcourt to build around

clutch citizen is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
clutch citizen
clutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclutch citizen is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13153
I guess that's alright. I mean it's no 45 and 21 combo

redlawn is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
redlawn
redlawn is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51939
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvangundy View Post
Man! those two and Varejao came to play tonight, clutch bucket after clutch bucket. Definitely a solid backcourt to build around
That's what I saw too. Waiters and Irving hit big shot after big shot. Clippers have their own top tier backcourt in Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, and Jamal Crawford, but I was very impressed with Cleveland's guards tonight holding their own.

"For 20 games he was one of the best in the league and he was dominating from the headlines to even on the basketball court. So you can't discount that he'll never be able to do it, because not only did he do it, he did it at the highest level possible."

"Let a thousand flowers bloom"

LC Rox Fan is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
LC Rox Fan
LC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51664
Kyrie is something special....once Chris Paul hits the decline I am putting my money on Irving being number 1 PG in the league

A_3PO is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
A_3PO
A_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Rox Fan View Post
Kyrie is something special....once Chris Paul hits the decline I am putting my money on Irving being number 1 PG in the league
I think you're on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
I only take it far because Kobe is so overrated. He has never positively impacted his team despite winning tons of press and accolades.
Quote:
[Chris] Paul will flop maybe once or twice a game

Coban Hutton is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Coban Hutton
Coban Hutton is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51769
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch citizen View Post
I guess that's alright. I mean it's no 45 and 21 combo

LC Rox Fan is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
LC Rox Fan
LC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLC Rox Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Member: #51664
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_3PO View Post
Oh, is it already a general consensus that he is going to be the best?

t_mac1 is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
t_mac1
Contributing Member
t_mac1 is James Harden -- racking up the pointst_mac1 is James Harden -- racking up the pointst_mac1 is James Harden -- racking up the pointst_mac1 is James Harden -- racking up the pointst_mac1 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29872
These guys are going to be good. Too bad they're small so they will get worked over defensively. But offensively, imagine them as a more efficient Monta/Curry with better playmaking. That's scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_3PO View Post
I don't think he sees the floor like CP3. He's obviously a more explosive scorer. I see him as a more efficient Drose/WB type of scoring PG.

tehG l i d e is online now Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
tehG l i d e
tehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36626
Clippers broadcaster mentioned that Synergy stats had Irving as the worst defensive player in the league last season.

nono is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
nono
nono is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodnono is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #51885
Verajao has the ability to face up in the post and hit that 15 foot shot. If Asik could do that it would work wonders for us in terms of opening space up for Lin and Harden.

A_3PO is offline Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
A_3PO
A_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchA_3PO is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Rox Fan View Post
Oh, is it already a general consensus that he is going to be the best?
Too early for it to be a general consensus. Let's see what he does this year.

Quote:
I only take it far because Kobe is so overrated. He has never positively impacted his team despite winning tons of press and accolades.
Quote:
[Chris] Paul will flop maybe once or twice a game

trowa is offline Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
trowa
trowa is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52225
something dion waiters has but jeremy lamb lack: confident
dion waiters proved tonight that he does have the potential to be at dwade level.

LCII is online now Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #14
LCII
Contributing Member
LCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20646
Reminds me of Houstons team.

carayip is offline Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
carayip
carayip is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCII View Post
Reminds me of Houstons team.
If only our center could hit shots like the Cavs'...

Blaster_333 is offline Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Blaster_333
Blaster_333 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50220
It's too bad John Wall is injured, we could be seeing two potential eastern rival backcourts in the making.

Beal/Wall vs. Irving/Waiters

Outlier is offline Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Outlier
Outlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16479
Yeah I'm excited about their backcourt. Honestly I think they're better than ours. Irving > Harden, Waiters > Lin. Everything else on that team though, sucks. Unlike ours, we have potential at least. Their roster is full of scrubs.

pippendagimp is offline Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #18
pippendagimp
pippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1853
zeller had 15 & 7 in just 24min. and we can't even get royce to show up at the arena..

tehG l i d e is online now Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
tehG l i d e
tehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donetehG l i d e is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
Yeah I'm excited about their backcourt. Honestly I think they're better than ours. Irving > Harden
So we're just going to completely ignore defense? I mentioned earlier but Synergy stats had him as the worst defender in the league last season. Byron Scott even publicly called him out on his defense. He's still very young though but to say Irving > Harden now is mind-boggling. The only thing Irving has over him is that he is an elite offensively for his position but Harden is no obviously no slouch on offense either.

Quote:
But I'll say this: When they're replacing you with Ramon Sessions for defensive purposes, that might be a sign you have work to do. As good as Irving was on offense, he was a horrifying, flaming train wreck on defense. Synergy rated him the worst defensive player in the league with at least 300 plays defended, opposing point guards ripped him for a 19.0 PER according to 82games.com, and the Cavs gave up 5.0 points per 100 possessions more with him on the court -- even though his usual replacement, Sessions, was himself among the league's most flammable point guards.

sidestep is offline Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #20
sidestep
sidestep is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #51924
In tonight's game, Byron Scott didn't have Irving guard CP3, because of his poor defense. That assignment went to SF Alonzo Gee.

It seems like Irving's Synergy numbers are finally making the rounds. It was amazing how no one talked about it last season.