1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some may find this interesting. RE: Draft Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Oct 9, 2012.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A Bobcats fan posted this on another forum. I have not verified it or seen the documentary but below is a tidbit that is Rockets related, as to what may have been offered on Draft day.

http://www.bobcatsplanet.com/vb/showthread.php?14288-Bobcats-draft-special&p=227403#post227403

2 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey's daughter killed the Parsons trades. I hope she's happy with herself now.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If those offers were made, then I don't know who made the biggest error, Morey for making the "big splash" offers (Tyrus Thomas is overpaid and mediocre and MKG will be good but will he be great?) or Jordan for not taking them.

No one wants to give up a high draft pick, even if the deal is really good.

That's IF these offers were legit.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, essentially MKG for all our picks, Parsons and Lowry.

5. trowa

trowa Member

This is indeed very interest. And Where did the 8th pick come from? Anyways, this is a huge gamble. 3 first round pick for the 2nd pick? In a deep draft?

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

just a guess, but with Parsons included in both scenarios, I'm thinking MKG was probably the pick for Houston at #2. Thought i read somewhere that mgmt was very high on him.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Given the two trades listed there, it seems to suggest the Rockets could have gotten the 8th pick from Toronto for Lowry... or that was a strong possibility, if Charlotte had it listed on their board.

Rockets must have really liked MKG if they were offering all that.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As much as I'm on the bandwagon for having to get a really really high lotto pick for a chance at a superstar, in this past years draft, I kind of think those are steep prices to pay.

Consider we might get a pick like #5 next year for only Kyle Lowry. Yes, #2 is a lot better than #5, generally, but given the way the draft ultimately played out, with Lamb, who imo could have gone as high as #4 himself (I'd have taken him ahead of Waters), I think DM is better off having had those trades denied and looking to next year as a year to acquire high lotto talent - be it with the Toronto pick, the Rockets own pick, or a pick acquired during the season, or a draft day deal next year.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no doubt that getting a top 10 for Lowry, keeping Parsons, and drafting Lamb, White and Jones, is better than MKG + bloated Thomas contract.

10. trowa

trowa Member

I mean, if im a gm, i might regret it if mkg become a superstar. But given the history of draft, many successful college players become a bust in nba, and something is just telling me that i have a higher chance of find 1 of my 4 picks to become a superstar than just one 2nd pick. I can name a recent top pick. Wesley johnson(3rd) was a beast in college. Some even argued that he shouldve been first or second pick. How did that turn out for him? Doesnt look good at all.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What I find interesting out of this is the #8th pick situation with Toronto. This obviously means that the Rockets obviously were not as high on Andre Drummond as it was reported on draft day. I guess we will see how good MKG turns out to really see who got the better end of that deal in the end.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

That's for MKG no doubt, as Feign mentioned in his article after the draft. I'm very high on MKG, but it's not a bad thing we ended up with the three rookies we have(they are very good) and a lottery pick in the future.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wonder if the Rockets would have kept that pick, or picked for Orlando... Still very interesting to think about.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well I would presume that #2 pick moves to Orlando.

Dragic
    Martin
    ???
    Scola
    Howard

Would of been interesting.

15. trowa

trowa Member

I am actually pretty high on drummond. You can teach post moves, but u can teach athleticism. The dude has an nba body already, and u dont need to have postmove to be successful---look at tyson chandler

16. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

Very interesting trade scenarios although I actually liked how the draft turned out for us.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing if Minnesota was involved, they could have gotten the #5 from Sacramento for Derrick Williams. So they could have possibly turned Williams/Wes Johnson and a couple of future firsts into MKG.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The guy has the body for it, but so did Hasheem Thabeet, and Michael Olowakandi. To be honest, I did watch a ton of college ball last year and saw alot of Drummond. From my perspective, I would say that he had a ton of red flags, and will probably end up being more Thabeet than Dwight in the end.

Still, I was ok with the Rockets trading up to the #5 spot or #8 spot to pick up Drummond, but Im still not sure about this #2 pick scenario given what I saw of him in College. Especially seeing now that they would have had to give up so much to get that pick. Still like you said, you just cant teach that size and athleticism so you gotta swing for the fences at some point.

That being said, I dont know if MKG is worth it either, but he seemed to have much less "bust" potential. I guess thats why the Rockets have the in depth scouting, and have done all the research that you and I cannot do on our own just by whats on the web or what we can see during their televised college games.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. That's a lot for MKG especially considering that much wasn't offered for Howard.

We would be looking at:
    Asik, Smith
    Patterson, DMo, JJJ
    MKG, Morris
    Martin, Delfino
    Lin, Douglas, Machado

I think this team looks a lot better on paper. I'm not the biggest Parsons fan. Losing Lamb would suck. I think he'll do very well in the NBA.

20. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

As implied by the board, looks like we had a possible trade with Toronto for their #8 for #18 and Lowry.