1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Pet Peeve] "Or whatever her name is..."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 26, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OK, so listening to Lance on 790 lately has really irked this pet peeve of mine. Here's an example:

"Did you guys hear about the actress who cheated on her boyfriend? Kristen Stewart or Simpson or whatever her name is?"

"Yeah, she was in Twilight or Twinkletime or whatever that movie was called."

It's when people OBVIOUSLY know what they are talking about but try to cover it up like they don't. It is incredibly annoying and Lance does this seemingly every single morning. Dr. Wexler amusingly called him out on it yesterday, though I no longer remember what Lance was pretending he didn't know the name of after he called it the correct name.

Why do people do this?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

To seem cool...

Because they think it somehow takes away from their masculinity if they are knowledgeable on things that they feel that other men will judge them on.

It's the same mentality that kids in elementary/junior high used to have. Often times kids used to pretend to not know the answer to a lot of questions so they wouldn't get teased for being a smarty pants.

In this case it's like "I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE TWILIGHT MANG. CANT CALL ME A HOMO BRO!"

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Because they want to know enough to bash something, but appear they are cooler than someone who would know actual details about it, so they pretend to know just enough to bash but not enough to be what they see as a loser.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get logically why they do it, but what I don't is why they think it works.

Lance literally does this every show. How can he think it works when he gets the name right every time before saying an alternate name that is wrong and saying "or whatever it is."

"You know that song Call me maybe?"

"I've heard it once. Carly Rae Jepsen or whatever her name is sucks!"

Does anyone ever buy that you don't know when you actually get it right? What are the odds that you just happen to "guess" right!

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cool like Tim Gunn on America's Next Top Model or Muscle or something like that.....?

I don't think anyone ever buys it, but it does happen all the time. To be honest, I'm sure I've done it before.

1 person likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I do it all the time with my wife, as a matter of fact.

I guess it's just a security thing. I know her/his name, know the movie/song/show, and know what I'm talking about yet I want to also let her know for my own security that I really don't care about the topic of conversation just putting it out there that I heard what happened.... or whatever it's called. :eek:

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I guess I just don't get this whole "pet peeve" thing of yours, or whatever it is.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

methinks you take things too seriously.

9. Precision340

Precision340 Member

to avoid being judged in a negative manner because they themselves would judge others negatively for being in the know about said subject

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My problem with LZ is now any time I hear a goofy voice/accent on 790 I just assume it's him. The Dish commercial gets me every time.

11. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Damn what a story though on that Kristen Stewart I bet she was into bondage.
    He had a hot wife well still does I guess....until she takes his kids n money he just made with her in the film playing "Bella" mother to quote her "wow"-she then deactivated her twitter. Man this needs to be moved to the crazy break up stories!!!

12. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

....oh and lance you clearly knew who she was, don't lie...you prob. Google imaged herald I know you read CF! :)

13. Classic

Classic Member

I do it with my wife but mess it up on purpose the first time just to piss or rile my wife up and get a reaction out of her. Hey, why not.

Tonight, in response to a billboard, it was, Oh you want to go to Circus de ole?

1 person likes this.
  14. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

You know what really grinds my gears; when you use the word literally.

Just say LZ says it every show. He doesn't figuratively use it so why tell me literally?

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what you get for listening to him. That would be especially annoying coming from him since he's 200% so sure of himself every other time he opens his mouth.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

610 > 790 :grin:

Josh Ennis never does that. He's 100% professional

17. smr6

smr6 Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is at a stop light when people leave a big enough gap to parallel park a car between them and the car infront of them.

18. likestohypeguy

If you pull right up on the bumper in front of you & someone rear ends you, then you can be held responsible for the second collision, even though you were just the cue ball.

Stop far enough away so that you can still see the bottom of their rear tires, & never stop in front of driveways.

19. conquistador#11

ehh don't know why you should be ashamed of viewing such films. Chances are if you're banging a 25 year old chick, you will be quite familiar with twilight zone saga or whatever that vampire series is called. (see what i did there)
    Looking back, all creatures of the night have been pretty emo. Dracula renounces god after the defeat of the turks because his chick commited suicide ? emo and a day walker! The lost boy's michael falls for star...emo!
    The realest vampire is and always will be count von count, dude is a loner no emotional attachment.

my only problem with twilight has been that alice should have been the lead role. loved her in the movie "skateland" about a skating rink in longview.

Damn you Lance! you know you watch! =)