ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Bird: LeBron can get close to Michael
Tags:  basketball, blog, espn, history, lebron, lebron james, nba, playoffs Tags
ItsMyFault is offline Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
ItsMyFault
Contributing Member
ItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36216
Quote:
"He [LeBron] actually carried them all the way through the playoffs," Bird said during an interview with ESPN. "If you go back to the beginning of the playoffs, has anyone ever had a better run? It'd seem like you'd have a bad game once in awhile. He never did have a bad game. He was so focused. You just saw his confidence build and build and build. He should go down in history as one of the top players and maybe he can get close to Michael [Jordan]."
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mia...n-and-the-heat

Do you agree or disagree with Bird in regard to LeBron maybe getting close to Michael?

Would like to see people's take on this, that's all.

Sponsored Link
Rox11 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Rox11
Rox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36318
Anytime you have people compare someone to a great you'll see disagreement. But we cannot deny the facts anymore that this guy is amazing. Don't let his decisions overshadow his talent.

rocketman84 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
rocketman84
rocketman84 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketman84 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12920
I think he can be second best when it's done. Too early though

KingCheetah is offline Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
KingCheetah
Contributing Member
KingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4419
If Lebron stays healthy -- keeps getting rings and MVPs of course he should be considered with the all-times greatest. He's already a top ten player all-time IMO.

Sigmund is offline Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Sigmund
Sigmund is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50609
I doubt he will pass Bird. Bird was better rebounder, passer, dead eye shooter, tough defender, clutch performer and could play without the ball. Also played for one franchise his whole career, so if I were starting a team, I would take Bird over him.

Ashes is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Ashes
Ashes is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAshes is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24356
With his talent, of course it's possible.

The Rock MVP is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
The Rock MVP
The Rock MVP is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
I doubt he will pass Bird. Bird was better rebounder, passer, dead eye shooter, tough defender, clutch performer and could play without the ball. Also played for one franchise his whole career, so if I were starting a team, I would take Bird over him.

Bird would get destroyed if he went one on one with Lebron. He may be a better shooter, but rebounder, passer and defender is up for grabs

PG: Oscar Robertson
SG: Tracy McGrady
SF: Lebron James
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Meyers Leonard will be a bust
Kevin McHale is the worst coach in the NBA. The following is a list:
1. Game 4 2014 Playoffs Round 1: Timeout and inbound play for Chandler Parsons who jacks up a contested three

dharocks is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
dharocks
Contributing Member
dharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock MVP View Post
Bird would get destroyed if he went one on one with Lebron. He may be a better shooter, but rebounder, passer and defender is up for grabs
Bird got a lot of rebounds. On a loaded frontcourt, no less. He was much better than LeBron in that aspect.

Pieman2005 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Pieman2005
Pieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43599
There was a stat on ESPN comparing Jordan and LeBron at the point of their careers when they both had their first ring. LeBron had more playoff wins, a lot more. Consider that he played with that ****ty Cleveland team. Not saying he's better than Jordan or will be, just thought that was an interesting stat.

Germany - 7
Brazil - 1

My autographed Trevor Ariza jersey isn't useless anymore!

Han Solo is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Han Solo
Han Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHan Solo is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #50947
Quote:
Bird averaged 10rbs for his career.

Sigmund is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Sigmund
Sigmund is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50609
My prediction:

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Durant
4. Kareem
5. Russell
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Lebron
9. Kobe
10. Wilt

Durant will go down as the greatest scorer of all-time. He will win most scoring titles in NBA history and he will be the first one to reach 40k points(it could also be Kobe). He just have to improve lateral quickness to become elite defender. He is already better defender than Lebron was at the age of 23. Averaged most rebounds beetwen small forwards and I take ability to play without the ball and to co-exist with two other perimeter stars over playmaking. Should get enough MVP's in his prime and I expect him to win at least 3 finals MVP.

Juxtaposed Jolt is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Juxtaposed Jolt
Juxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJuxtaposed Jolt is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Apr 2010
Member: #46001
LeBron shouldn't want to be compared to Michael. That's too much pressure.

Just play the game your way, and let people decide, at the end of your career, how you rank.

If an overhyped NBA rookie, being compared to Jordan or Hakeem or Stockton or whoever, actively tries to be them at an early stage, they're going to burn out pretty fast.

Rox11 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Rox11
Rox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36318
Quote:
My prediction:

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Durant
4. Kareem
5. Russell
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Lebron
9. Kobe
10. Wilt

Durant will go down as the greatest scorer of all-time. He will win most scoring titles in NBA history and he will be the first one to reach 40k points(it could also be Kobe). He just have to improve lateral quickness to become elite defender. He is already better defender than Lebron was at the age of 23. Averaged most rebounds beetwen small forwards and I take ability to play without the ball and to co-exist with two other perimeter stars over playmaking. Should get enough MVP's in his prime and I expect him to win at least 3 finals MVP.
I love Kevin as much as the next guy and know hes amazing at the age he is, and has ways to improve but that's way too much...

dback816 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
dback816
dback816 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsdback816 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsdback816 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsdback816 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14523
Quote:
My prediction:

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Durant
4. Kareem
5. Russell
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Lebron
9. Kobe
10. Wilt

If bias was a crime, you'd be locked up already.

If Durant shows steady improvement nonstop for 3 more years, then he might, just might, fit match up to those delusions of yours

what is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
what
what is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the pointswhat is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2003
Member: #15560
Lebron is the best sf/pf I've seen since Magic and Larry. I'm also not certain that Jordan was THAT much better than Magic or Larry, but since he's considered goat, I'm fine with it.

If I was starting a team I'd pick Lebron over MJ.

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Steve_Francis_rules
Steve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1023
Quote:
I don't think defender is really up for grabs. Bird was a great team defender, as is Lebron. However, only one of those guys could play lock down on the ball defense.

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Steve_Francis_rules
Steve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSteve_Francis_rules is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1023
Quote:
My prediction:

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Durant
4. Kareem
5. Russell
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Lebron
9. Kobe
10. Wilt

Your list is missing Shaq and Hakeem, both of whom were better than Kobe and Duncan.

Pieman2005 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Pieman2005
Pieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43599
Quote:
Originally Posted by what View Post
Lebron is the best sf/pf I've seen since Magic and Larry. I'm also not certain that Jordan was THAT much better than Magic or Larry, but since he's considered goat, I'm fine with it.

If I was starting a team I'd pick Lebron over MJ.
I'd pick Rudy Gay

shayan is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
shayan
shayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsshayan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50149
Nobody is touching MJ... Not Lebron, Not Kobe. Kobe is Kobe and Lebron is Lebron. They are trying to make their own names, they don't need to be compared.

Pull_Up_3 is offline Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Pull_Up_3
Pull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44820
Dirk carried harder last year

not gonna deny that legay had a great post season