ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
Clutch is offline Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
I got a little flack from a couple of posters for mentioning on 610 that I like Dion Waiters so I wanted to make a case for this guy. I do like him... little concerned about his height (measured at 6-2.5 without shoes) given that I think he's a two only, so not sure if he's a starting shooting guard giving you 30-35 minutes a night, or a combo guard spark off the bench.

Still, when I watch him play, I'm impressed with his quickness, willingness to attack the basket and the fact that he's not a bad shooter (47.6% from the field, 36.3% from three-point range). Strong body that I think will be able to take contact well in the NBA. He doesn't take time off on the defensive end either. He reminds me of Vernon Maxwell, with a little of Kyle Lowry thrown in.

Jim Boeheim, his coach at Syracuse, compares him to Dwyane Wade, which is a huge stretch of course (and he adds all the disclaimers to that), but there is a similarity in how aggressive they both are.

I've never understood the point of teams "promising" to take a player, but if Waiters did get a promise as is being reported, I'm not surprised. I think there are other players I'd rather have, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Rockets took Waiters.

(just realized -- song lyrics NSFW)

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
dobro1229 is online now Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Well apparently he's already shut it down with a guarantee from a team most likely in the mid to late lottery. I dont see the Rockets as being the type of team that would give guarantee's before draft night due to the volitility of the trades that are likely to take place. Toronto seems like the culprit here if I had to make an educated guess.

delishman is offline Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
delishman
delishman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finedelishman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Member: #45591
So.. did he get a guarantee at 14?

Otherwise sounds like he will be gone.

DasouthDakota is offline Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
DasouthDakota
Rookie
DasouthDakota is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44339
Clutch,

I too have been screaming this for anyone who wants to listen.

Dion Waiters is the real deal. I wish the Rockets would select him.

High road? Bah Humbug, I am taking the Moes road baby !

haoafu is offline Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
haoafu
Contributing Member
haoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodhaoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18655
He is a nice guy to have, but I'm glad that some comparable, or even better players will be available in lower picks.

dobro1229 is online now Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Member: #45354
Quote:
Originally Posted by delishman View Post
So.. did he get a guarantee at 14?

Otherwise sounds like he will be gone.
The Rockets are going to be wheeling and dealing too much to give a guarantee that late in the lottery. Unless its just a ploy by Waiters and his agent to build intrigue & mystery.

If there is a guarantee it would have to be one of these-

-Golden State - #7
-Toronto- #8
-Portland - #11
-Phoenix - #13

Anything else seems highly unlikely.

giddyup is offline Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
giddyup
Contributing Member
giddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3438
Son of Granville.... I presume?

ROXTXIA is offline Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
ROXTXIA
Contributing Member
ROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchROXTXIA is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2000
Member: #1409
Morey supposedly doesn't make promises, according to players' agents. (shrug)

And what will we do next year with undersized 2-guard Llull?

Still, I wouldn't be stunned if we took Waiters. Didn't McHale have a propensity for drafting (or wanting to draft) undersized 2's / can-play-PG-maybe's while at Minnesota?

Randy Foye?

Would've taken Luther H. + #8 for the #6 (Brandon Roy failed trade)?

Ugh. Now I have to go check on this.

Haymitch is online now Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Haymitch
Contributing Member
Haymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2005
Member: #16399
If we were good enough to only need a scoring 6th man, Waiters would be a heck of a pick. As the current team stands, however, I don't see the point in drafting Waiters.

xiki is offline Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Son of Granville.... I presume?
Ah, Granny.

Unless DDub can RUN a team then I don't see the excitement generated. Will he be selected over Lillard? Should he be?

#7 is supposedly decided. #8 up for grabs? #s2, 6, 10, 24 all moving parts? New guys in NOLA, Oh!lando, Po'land; Memphis (who decides what, I mean really???); Phx = Nash question?mark???

Man, this is a moving target right through...Dwight's trade? D-Will's signing? Plus KG; Roy to Lakes?

JayZ750 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
I'm just not sold on the guy. I think height will be an issue. He doesn't appear to have DWade level athleticism... which isn't a huge knock... who does? I could be wrong, but I'd rather take a flyer on someone else. Like Terrence Ross. Who has true/better SG size, was a more efficient scorer, and also provided other intangibles - rebounding, passing, defense.

What does Waiters do better than Ross? Probably ball-handling?

bluffkin is offline Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
bluffkin
bluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodbluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
I'm just not sold on the guy. I think height will be an issue. He doesn't appear to have DWade level athleticism... which isn't a huge knock... who does? I could be wrong, but I'd rather take a flyer on someone else. Like Terrence Ross. Who has true/better SG size, was a more efficient scorer, and also provided other intangibles - rebounding, passing, defense.

What does Waiters do better than Ross? Probably ball-handling?
Waiters doesn't settle for jumpers as much as Ross, but Ross is a better shooter. Waiters gets to the free throw line and Ross struggles to get to the free throw line. And both can jump like crazy. Personally I'd like Ross more because of his crazy potential.

OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
How many legit shooting guards are in the nba that are 6'2 or smaller? Size matters.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

bluffkin is offline Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
bluffkin
bluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodbluffkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlajuwonFan81 View Post
How many legit shooting guards are in the nba that are 6'2 or smaller? Size matters.
He is 6'4 with shoes he'll be fine.

Spacemoth is offline Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Spacemoth
Contributing Member
Spacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24898
So Ishkabibbles is the secret behind the Beefy NBA Guard Club.

DaDakota is offline Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
He looks ok, don't see DWade at all though.

DD

rolyat93 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
rolyat93
rolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47852
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlajuwonFan81 View Post
6'3 with shoes, most peoples real heights and "basketball heights" are different. D Wade is about 6'3, Eric Gordon is about 6'2.

jtr is offline Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
jtr
Contributing Member
jtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasouthDakota View Post
Clutch,

I too have been screaming this for anyone who wants to listen.

Dion Waiters is the real deal. I wish the Rockets would select him.
Living where I do I caught more than a couple of his games. He looks real good, but I have seen so many players who look good in the Syracuse system just disappear in the NBA.

xiki is offline Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr View Post
Living where I do I caught more than a couple of his games. He looks real good, but I have seen so many players who look good in the Syracuse system just disappear in the NBA.
I wish Melo would just disappear.

RV6 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
I definitely see the resemblance to Wade, his athleticism may not be as high, but it may just be a shorter wingspan and height.