1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any info on recreational basketball league?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, May 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Hey guys, I want to get back into playing ball, but pick up games just wont cut it for me anymore, too inconsistent. I was hoping to find a league starting up in the summer that I could sign up for and get practice in along with a game or 2 a week. If anyone knows such a league in the Greater Houston Area or has a team looking for a post player, please let me know. Tournaments would also be great information that would be greatly appreciated!

2. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

3. LCAhmed

Alright cool I might check this one out

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Is this still the best league?

I am moving from way out in the boonies and am going to be one of the cool kids in the inner loop. I have been looking at joining some leagues and GUS looks like it isn't maintained. I am interested in recreation basketball, softball, flag football and other leagues. If anyone could chime in on an active or upcoming league they personally know about I would greatly appreciate it.

I am also down to play if the Clutchfans pick-up games get going again, I just haven't played in about 5 years.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

GUS is maintained.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

GUS was pretty organized. My team signed up for a level above us and got blown out every game, but beyond the game results I thought the league was run well.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Anybody in the Gus League played against Billy Bender (the 6'5 white guy that has no hops, but can shoot)?

Edit: It is maintained. Would recommend from what I hear.

#7 jbasket, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure we played against him. We also played against a team with 3 guys all over 6'-6" with the guy closest to 7'-0" going like 5-for-6 from 3. Ridiculous team that has no business playing in the intermediate level, but oh well. The league is run well, and I've had no issues with it (outside of some shoddy reffing, but that's to be expected in a rec league) in the 4+ years I've played.

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

That's pretty bad. Hope they moved up the next season.

Billy's my guy. He first formed a team in the competitive league, but he couldn't find other strong players, and I wasn't around either (back before my physical health seriously deteriorated). Him and his brother would put up like 50/60 per game, but nobody else could contribute, and they gave up like 90 per game. So he joined another team in the Corporate league, the one I'm sure you played.

Didn't know they kept stats and wrote recaps. That's pretty neat.

10. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

I'd like to join a rec league but I just moved to this area fairly recently, so I don't know too many people around yet. For the Gus League, could I just join as an individual and would a team pick me up? Or do you need to have a team organized already to join?

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

You can sign up as a free agent. Go to their site ASAP because I believe you have 2 options but they're about to start real soon.

My only complaint was you have teams enter themselves at beginner level (corporate) but they should have went up a division.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Saw someone on FB looking for teammates, I can dig it up and PM you.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sounds like a bunch of boy scouts to me

14. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

Oh sweet, yeah I've been wanting to get back into it since I got out of high school a few years back. Figured this might be a good/fun opportunity.

15. smr6

smr6 Member

I remember that name from High School. He graduated same year as me and he was 2nd in the class. Went to MIT I think.

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I actually just joined a team in the GUS league, we had our first game last night. There was a crazy wreck in the parking lot, but outside of that, the league is ran pretty good. I enjoyed it and look forward to staying in it for a while.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the bump. I was wanting to join a league. What time are the games usually?

Looks like it's not too late to sign up, where are there in this season?

Also, from a skill standpoint, any bits of advice how good each level is? Is the corporate/beginner league just a mess?

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

It's all relative. Objectively speaking, how good are you? Be honest. Sure others can help place ya.

Yea, that is the guy. No hops, no matter how hard he tries, ha.

#18 jbasket, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  19. LCAhmed

Man, I was so ambitious 4 years ago. I don't even remember making this thread. But I gave up on rec leagues a few years ago with my work moving to 60+ hours a week, and now being in Dallas I don't know anyone. But I plan on getting back into playing shape and maybe finding a league in the summer or fall up here in Dallas.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got some years on the tires so I'm not as good as I used to be obviously, but I was a varsity player in HS (5A..before 6A was a thing). I was usually the best, or at least top 3, whenever playing in college rec leagues. Decent athlete now but obviously was much better back in the day. But like i said, i've got some rust so maybe I start at the low end to gauge. I just hate playing with people that are terrible or have no clue how the game is played.

1 person likes this.