1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New CBA] How the Luxury Tax will affect teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, May 9, 2012.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Found this on another board who found it from another board from the poster "Baconbeard"

Can anyone confirm if the following info is legit?

I don't think the Spurs will be up to anything except re-signing their current players but the Rockets could be players this offseason (if this is all true)

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Yeah its true and owners are nervous BUT GMs are gonna have to be great to build good contender teams while staying under cap

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Does Presti really want to keep Harden and Ibaka and have to take on that much tax?

4. TheRaymond

TheRaymond Member

Her certainly wants to. The question becomes can he?

5. Jet036

Jet036 Member

LOLing hard at the Knicks right now. They waited so long for a fresh start and in less than 2 years their situation's almost as bad as it was before.

6. TheresTheDagger

The end of the super team era?

I certainly hope this makes a dent in the idea of players "teaming up" with their buddies. However, at the end of the day it really comes down to ownership's ability to withstand the tax.

Mikhail Prokhorov and Paul Allen anyone?

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

being cheap always wins.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I guess this is what Morey meant by flexibility

9. Garner

Garner Member

What?! Rockets in a good position!!!

Fire Maury!

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Actually according to shamsports Kyle Lowry is un-garunteed for 2013/2014 as is Chandler Parsons. At this point it looks like the only garunteed contract for that season is Scola 10.2 million.

Of course there are cap holds for free agents, team options for Morris and Pat as well as incoming draft pics as well as DMo who is coming over. If we resign Dragic, Lee and Camby that is more against the cap.

etc...

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

That's why I kept saying OKC can't afford to keep their big 4 together. Harden and Ibaka's new contracts start when the new lux tax system starts.

12. echu888

echu888 Member

If anything, Morey has shown some skill in finding low-round gems and in shrewd financial management. If the OP's posting is true, then Morey has come in just a little bit ahead of his time but his skillset should prove extremely valuable for the impacts of the new salary cap rules.

13. echu888

echu888 Member

Hopefully so! A superstar for every team... and it comes down to who has the solid supporting casts and team chemistry...

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Everything in there seems pretty accurate.

The mention of Arenas in the Orlando section sounds misleading though.

Orlando - Factor in the $22MM they will be paying Arenas and they are already at a payroll of $54MM to a bunch of scrubs. I'm not sure they can afford to sign Howard even if they want to.

They amnestied Arenas so they do indeed still have to pay him his money but his salary doesn't count toward the luxury tax.

I'm also not sure that it's such a "no brainer" that teams will get rid of all of the players that the article mentions.

Here's a thread on the same subject that I posted back in March.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=216919

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep, thats why I say to keep an eye out for them this Summer and next trade deadline if they dont win the title this year they might try to package together Perkins and Westbrook for Dwight Howard. They are still a dark horse to make a move like this, but its obvious they wont be able to resign Ibaka and Harden. Westbrook and Perkins will be making roughly 25Million between the two of them.

Dwights next contract will most likely be paying him roughly 16 to 18 million a year. Thats roughly a 9 Million dollar a year savings for the Thunder to use in resigning Harden and Ibaka. Now, they might view Westbrook as the better player, but they must realize that they have a huge risk of loosing both Ibaka and Harden to free agency after 2013/14, assuming they pick up the team options on the last years of their deal.

Now if they win it all this year, I think they try to keep the band together for the longrun and play it out till 2014 with this group. They can always trade one of their stars in February of 2014 if they are going to have to let one of them walk in free agency.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

This looks like the perfect reciepe for the Rockets to clear space for next offseason by moving Scola. Because the new tax rules means there will be players available that wouldn't have been available before.

IF the Rockets trade Scola, then potentially in 2013 they have the following roster.

Motiejunas(2mil)
    Morris(2)
    Patterson(2)
    Lowry(6)
    1st round picks x2 (3)
    Parsons(1)
    Dragic(est. ~8)
    Lee(est. ~5)

That's 9 possibly rotation caliber players making 30+ mil, giving us enough for 1.5 max level players. Or possibly two if we move another player from the above. Obviously some estimate, but the Rockets really could take a huge step forward in 2013 if they play their cards right. Because there just may be a few top players changing addresses.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'll bet if we don't trade for Dwight this offseason that we don't bring Lee back unless it's for less money than MLE.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I guess it depends on how highly Morey rates Lee, and what positions we draft. I think Lee for MLE money is fine. It just depends on how much capspace is projected, and what's the max money certain FA-to-bes can get. Because with the max salary cap, several teams will be offering that. The Rockets have to at least match that and sell on the fact that our current team is pretty good already without him.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

you see Dragic and Lowry both on the roster going into next season?

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm just giving an example based on what the team looks like today. But IMO, Lowry stays if the Rockets can't move up in the draft with him. He's still dirt cheap and won't screw our cap until 2014.

If the Rockets do move him to trade up in the draft, say for NJ's pick from Portland, the Rockets would have even more capspace in 2013.