ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
crash5179 is offline Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Does he deserve it? They are giving him a decent chance based on his dominant career as a college player. The only 3 time winner of College Player of the Year. Of course his teams always fell short of the championship.

Sponsored Link
Deckard is offline Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Yes. I think he does because of his incredible college career, despite the lack of a championship, and I would include his play in the NBA, until injury left him a shell of what he once was.

I would like to see Guy Lewis get in first, however.

crash5179 is offline Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Yes. I think he does because of his incredible college career, despite the lack of a championship, and I would include his play in the NBA, until injury left him a shell of what he once was.

I would like to see Guy Lewis get in first, however.
As such a rabid fan of Phi Slamma Jamma and the fact that Elvin Hayes was one of the very first sports idles I had I have to agree. Guy Lewis did more for basketball both NBA and College just buy coaching and winning in the game against UCLA at the Astrodome.

I have no problem with Ralph in the Hall based on what he accomplished in college and as much as people like to write off his NBA career he did win ROY, All-Star Game MVP, hit the winning shot against LAL that sent the Rockets to the NBA championship game and had great stats prior to the injuries.

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24870
It is too bad that Sampson never lived up to his potential in the NBA but his overall career should get him in. He was probably the greatest college player ever.

Cool story bro, his son, Ralph Sampson III, plays for the Golden Gophers and I've seen Ralph Sampson II at home games a few times. Unfortunately his son is nowhere close to the player his dad was.

"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

Help Typhoon Rebuilding in the Philippines
http://www.fil-minnesotan.org/

or if you don't like helping people
http://www.reverbnation.com/theserfs

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
I noticed Bill Fitch is a possibility. He probably won't get in because of his record but he was a great coach who helped rebuild the Rockets in the 1980's from the worst team in 1983 to the NBA Finals in 1986. His record doesn't reflect his skill as he took on a lot of troubled teams.

"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

DaDakota is offline Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
If you include college then sure.

DD

Rockets Jones is offline Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Rockets Jones
Rockets Jones is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRockets Jones is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31634
Is there no separate HOF for college ball? If not then I guess you could make a a case for him but still I am not sure. HOF to me should be for the best of the best, game changers, top performers and with a hard work ethic and great off the court personality (involved with charities etc.).

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
It is the "Basketball" Hall of Fame. Not "NBA" Hall of Fame.

Joe Joe is offline Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Joe Joe
Contributing Member
Joe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 1999
Member: #467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets Jones View Post
Is there no separate HOF for college ball? If not then I guess you could make a a case for him but still I am not sure. HOF to me should be for the best of the best, game changers, top performers and with a hard work ethic and great off the court personality (involved with charities etc.).
No, there is not a separate HOF. He gets in based on college work. No reason to have combined HOF if college work can't get you in. Injuries in NBA do not diminish what he was in college.

Deckard is offline Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsjudoka View Post

It is the "Basketball" Hall of Fame. Not "NBA" Hall of Fame.
Exactly, which is why Guy Lewis deserves to be in, as well as Ralph for his body of work in college, which was truly amazing (his brief NBA career is icing on the cake). Most people today look back on that period and think about Dream, but Sampson was a rock star nationally while going to Virginia. When the Rockets got him, they had that cover of Sports Illustrated that their championships had a hard time getting. Ralph made the cover of that rag multiple times, and probably held the record for a college star for years, if he doesn't still own it. I guess you had to be around then to get the full impact of just what Ralph Sampson meant to the college game, and to the Rockets when they drafted him. Gigantic doesn't do it justice.

crash5179 is offline Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
crash5179
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsjudoka View Post
I noticed Bill Fitch is a possibility. He probably won't get in because of his record but he was a great coach who helped rebuild the Rockets in the 1980's from the worst team in 1983 to the NBA Finals in 1986. His record doesn't reflect his skill as he took on a lot of troubled teams.
I would think Fitch would be a no brainier to get in. He's one of the all time winning coaches, he has taken multiple clubs to the NBA finals and has won an NBA championship.

crash5179 is offline Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
crash5179
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets Jones View Post
Pat Forde and Kobe Bryant will go in the same HoF. It's the Basketball HoF not the NBA HoF.

Rip Van Rocket is offline Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Rip Van Rocket
Contributing Member
Rip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2002
Member: #4070
Ralph should definitely go to the HOF. Calvin Murphy was an NBA all-star only one time, but made the HOF because he also had an amazing college career.

Ralph had a short NBA career, but during that time he was an all-star four times, he was the 1984 rookie of the year, and he was the 1985 NBA all-star game MVP. When you look at his College and Pro career, how could you not vote him in?

BleedsRocketRed is offline Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
BleedsRocketRed
BleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30963
There is a College Basketball HOF omn Kansas City. It's downtown near the Sprint Center

Stop confusing me with BleedRocketsRed. We're not the same person

BleedsRocketRed is offline Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
BleedsRocketRed
BleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30963
http://www.collegebasketballexperien...alloffame.aspx

Stop confusing me with BleedRocketsRed. We're not the same person

leebigez is offline Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2700
Can't understand how boeheim and guys like that are in and guy lewis is not.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

DonnyMost is offline Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
DonnyMost
Contributing Member
DonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 2003
Member: #12152
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigez View Post
Can't understand how boeheim and guys like that are in and guy lewis is not.
I imagine the majority of the voters are East coast guys.

John Chaney.. I mean really.