1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones: Tweener or Mismatch?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TheGoldenGreek, Mar 26, 2012.

1. TheGoldenGreek

I'm by no means an expert but I've watched Kentucky play a few games this season, including in person when they visited LSU. I was particularly impressed with his performance yesterday against Baylor. I'm starting to think Terrence Jones would be a nice fit for the Rockets.

The first thing that jumps out about Jones is his size. At 6' 9" with a wingspan of 7' 2" his measurements are eerily similar to Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks, a player frequently coveted on this forum. Jones is a very athletic player. This athleticism combined with his length translates to him being an effective finisher at the rim, an intimidating help-side shot blocker, and an aggressive rebounder. His versatility defensively is another aspect that adds value to his game as he can defend both the perimeter and the post. Jones played point guard in high school (where he led his team to 3 state championships) and he has maintained good ball handling skills, especially for someone of his size. His ball handling allows him to push the pace after rebounding and get into the open court where he excels in setting himself and teammates up for easy points. His offensive game centers mostly around a face-up style similar to Josh Smith.

The knock on Terrence Jones' game is his post game and inconsistent jump shot. These issues have him projected to be picked somewhere between 15-20 in the NBA draft. It should be noted that despite his deficiencies in these areas, he has averaged 13 ppg on 50% shooting this season which suggests he has found ways to score points and with an NBA training regimen could blossom into a nice offensive player.

What do you guys think? Would Terrence Jones be a nice pickup for the Rockets?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

15-20 seems about right. Jones must improve his handles and shot or he won't do much in the NBA.

He doesn't look 6'9 to me. More like 6'7.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Not a good fit for the rockets the way our team is constructed now.

4. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He's a punk. Do not want him on the Rockets. Quincy Acy on the other hand, yes please! He's a beast and has the most heart of any college player I have seen in a while.

5. TheGoldenGreek

Something tells me you might be a bit biased :cool:

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

How is he a punk?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"DraftExpress: Seems like Terrence Jones graduated from the Lance Stephenson school of body language. Is this a recent development?"

Folks have been talking about this for a little while.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Another long, athletic player with no discernable skill set or basketball iq. Sure he shot 50%.....on dunks and layups created by the defense overplaying Davis, MKG, and Teague so much.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I haven't watched a Kentucky game this season, but last year Jones was god awful.

Do not want.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

So that makes him a punk interesting. I don't even know how Stephenson body language was in college. Terrence Jones has bad stretch this year where you could question his play no coincidence that he was also injured at the time

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Not the whole story in my opinion. He's a good defender with shot-blocking ability, and the athleticism and range to do some good things in space. He's also an excellent rebounder. The Josh Smith comparison is dead on IMHO. I don't know much about his character, and he certainly needs more development in the post. I would say that his effort has been inconsistant (he disappeared through stretches this year), but he also seems to step it up in big games. From a talent standpoint, he's got amazing potential. Agreed that his BBIQ is lacking. As far as I'm concerned, he's be a great pick for us, but I'd be surprised if he was available when we pick. I think someone will fall in love with this kid's potential and take him top 10.

#11 Aruba77, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He could be a SF stopper.

13. TheGoldenGreek

Where is everyone at with this question now that he actually is on our roster? I thought actually discussing players on our roster would be a nice change of pace from the "what direction are we headed" madness taking over lately.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

To be a mismatch Terrence Jones has to play. IMO Jones is the Marcus Morris of 2012-13 -- glued to the bench. Of course, Morris will be right beside him to keep him company and to school him in how the bench should be ridden.

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Things still remain to be seen with Terrence, I like the pick specially at 18, dude is healthy and Is a winner everywhere he has been he has won championships!

16. amaru

amaru Member

tweener

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. Morris can teach him how to avoid splinters.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Jones is more ready to play than the other guys, he'll play. Parsons played.

19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

should have taken Perry Jones or traded down with Boston and taken Andrew Nicholson, Moultre, or Melo

why must Morey make things so difficult

i think Royce White and Terrence Jones are fantastic propects( but you take Perry Jones, or another position player with upside and quickness). Its like Morey doesnt know we have Chandler Parsons on our team

20. TheGoldenGreek

After seeing him play in Summer League I really do see alot of Josh Smith in his game. I'm very excited to see how he performs in the regular season.