1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Thorpe: Parsons is the best defender of K.Durant I've ever seen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sks123, Mar 21, 2012.

?

Will Parsons be a better defender than Battier?

1. Yes

138 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No

110 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. He will eventually be better

72 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. sks123

sks123 Member

Hi guys,

This is my first thread. David Thorpe posts a Rookie watch and he just redid the draft based on how well all the players have been playing. According to him, Parsons would be number 11, Marcus Morris would be number 18, and Donatas Motiejunas would go at 20, where he was drafted.

I was pleasently surprised by what Thorpe had to say about Parsons.

"He's been possibly the best defender on Kevin Durant I've ever seen, with the length, size, mobility and coordination to bother big wings and small power forwards for years to come."

It is an insider piece, here is the link to the article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Rookies-120321/nba-rookie-watch-redraft

2 people like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Parsons would go higher than 11.

3. sks123

sks123 Member

Also FYI, we would have drafted Jan Vesely if the draft went according to Thorpe.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

And Motiejunas would go in the top 10.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]No. 18 pick: The Wizards select Marcus Morris
    No. 18 pick in actual 2011 NBA draft: Chris Singleton
    Morris hasn't done anything yet as a pro, but the young man is stuck with a coach who does not believe in him. In Washington he'd have been playing from day one and would be the surprise guy of this draft.

In Leonard and Morris, the Wiz would have two solid rotation players with at least one starter.[/rquoter]

Sounds like David Thorpe thinks Morris should get more trust and PT from McHale.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I can't wait to see this guy after he gets an offseason to fix the jumpshot and improve that ft shooting (hopefully to about 70% range).

7. sks123

sks123 Member

Maybe over Budinger, but not Parsons since Parsons is ranked above him. They way Bud has been playing lately though, I dont blame McHale for sticking with him.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I think the general consensus here is that McHale is the kind of guy that will play whoever deserves playing time. He's not afraid to shake things up and doesn't have any unfair loyalties to players. As much as I miss Adelman, I am relieved that we don't have to hear constant complaining about how he's favoring his pet C-Bud over the better player in Morris. We can pretty safely say Morris just isn't ready yet.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe, but wouldn't minutes going to Morris be ones taken away from Parsons (remember, Budinger was getting very inconsistent playing time all year until the Martin injury)? There are only so many minutes go go around. Somebody has to sit.

Besides, I don't think it's a matter of belief as much as it is a matter of empirical evidence. Morris simply hasn't looked as good as his competition for SF minutes. He still has the opportunity to improve, but right now he isn't one of the better options.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

maybe he's right, but he's basing it on nothing other than whatever knowledge he had of morris pre-draft.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morris worked out at Thorpe's gym pre-draft and Thorpe was very high on his ability to adjust to playing SF.

12. MingMaham

MingMaham Member

So defensively, he's like Ryan Bowen....but with game! ;)

13. gah

gah Member

Was there another option when Chase was struggling? Sorry if I missed the part where Terrence Williams was more than a wasted pick. Speaking of the devil, I remember Adelman being praised over JVG for playing the youngsters when he first got here. Then later wasn't he taking most of the heat because of T-Will? Adelman plays rookies when they are ready, he did it with each and every rookie that amounted to something, he's doing the same in Minnesotta and would have done the same with Parsons, he would love him too. IMO Parsons is just a consistent jumper away from being a 4th-6th pick among his draft class.

Staying on subject, why does he have Leonard that much higher?

1 person likes this.
  14. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I really, really, really, really like Parsons. He might even become a superstar, IMHO.

The wording on this poll is a little off -- "will he be better" implies that either he will become, or will not become, therefore making the third choice redundant.

15. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

Congrats on poppin the thread cherry.

I liked and admired Battier for his defense, but he seemed a little too one dimensional, maybe with the exception of the corner three. Usually if a player is on the court it is his defense that the other team can exploit. I really like players that play at both ends of the court.

If he fulfills everyone's wish and improves his offense, he will be a better player than Battier, and maybe that's what counts.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Thorpe is an idiot. He trained and touted Yi Jianlian as the next star throughout his underachieving career, was one of Kevin Martin's primary trainers, and hated on Jeremy Lin after his first few big Knick games, saying that he was a flash in the pan and would go back to being a backup. Thorpe has no more credibility than trained monkey throwing tomatoes at a dartboard.

17. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

How bad are the other defenders in the league?

28.5 ppg
    47% fg
    87% ft
    8 rpg

Is what Durant averaged this season against the Rockets. That looks to be almost exactly what his season averages are. Is our D so bad that we need to applaud holding a great player to his average?

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are discounting that fact that this is single coverage, whereas Durant is a guy who teams double.

1 person likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

To state the obvious in further clarification:

This makes defending the rest of the Thunder players much easier and improves team defense.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

in the poll options, what's the difference between saying "yes" to your question and "He will eventually be better"