1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech has high aspirations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

From the Chronicle:

<B>Texas Tech to try for Guinness record</B>

Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas -- With some help from Peggy Sue, Texas Tech is aiming for the record books.

Attendees of Saturday's Texas Tech-New Mexico game at Jones SBC Stadium will be asked to sing the 1950s Buddy Holly hit simultaneously during halftime.

If they pull if off, they'll get a place in the Guinness Book of Records for the largest sing-along.

It would beat the record set in Scotland in 1999 when 15,352 people sang in unison. Tech officials said they hope to double that number.

The sing-along will conclude a four-day symposium on Buddy Holly, who was born in Lubbock.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Get your guns up baby!!

The football team is up for another 6-5 season, and a galleryfurniture.com bowl bid...... WOO HOO!!

All sarchasim aside, it would be nice to see Ricky Williams get at least 15 to 20 carries a game, but that wont happen with Mike Leach's run-and-shoot style offense......Its a damn shame because Williams is a great back.

I know this is a tad bit off the subject....

Drewdog
    1999 Texas Tech Alum

3. Fatty FatBastard

Ummmmm, OK.

I'm an alum from '96, and this sounds really stupid.

So they pull it off? Great. Who really cares? Pay more attention to the GAME Tech.

It seems they've been doing a lot of cheesy things lately to garner attention.

Just my opinion.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Doing stupid things seems to be the only way Texas Tech can garner attention. Their players often go unnoticed no matter how good they are (even Hanspard's 2,000 yard season went almost unnoticed outside the South Plains.)

Granted, winning the Big 12 would go a long way toward getting attention, but the school seems incapable of doing that (at least in football). Even when they were cheating they weren't really contenders.

(And, for the record, I am a Tech alum, as well).

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

Does this really count as a record?

I've heard 50K+ people sing "Take me out to the ball game" in the dome, 35K at Enron.

Well, OK, most were headed toward the restroom or concession stand, but there were at least 15K attempting to sing.

Or, Garth Brooks at the rodeo turning "Friends in Low Places" into a sing-along.

Surely this has been done before!

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Yep I agree. Its a call for national attention, which Tech has been starving for ever since I graced the campus in the Fall of 1994.

The Bobby Knight thing is a joke. Lets build an over-sized arena (15,000 seats), and only sell about 6,000 tickets for the men's games. Then lets get a coach who represents all that is wrong with college sports, just so we will get more televised games, and sell more tickets. All while stressing that Tech is more concerned with sports then academics. Its a shame.

7. Matador

Matador Member

Drewdog
    "Yep I agree. Its a call for national attention, which Tech has been starving for ever since I graced the campus in the Fall of 1994.

The Bobby Knight thing is a joke. Lets build an over-sized arena (15,000 seats), and only sell about 6,000 tickets for the men's games. Then lets get a coach who represents all that is wrong with college sports, just so we will get more televised games, and sell more tickets. All while stressing that Tech is more concerned with sports then academics. Its a shame."

mrpaige
    "Doing stupid things seems to be the only way Texas Tech can garner attention. Their players often go unnoticed no matter how good they are (even Hanspard's 2,000 yard season went almost unnoticed outside the South Plains.)

Granted, winning the Big 12 would go a long way toward getting attention, but the school seems incapable of doing that (at least in football). Even when they were cheating they weren't really contenders.

(And, for the record, I am a Tech alum, as well)."

FFB
    "I'm an alum from '96, and this sounds really stupid.

So they pull it off? Great. Who really cares? Pay more attention to the GAME Tech.

It seems they've been doing a lot of cheesy things lately to garner attention.

Just my opinion."

Wow, it really makes me sad that alums of Tech are that down on their former school. I am currently attending Texas Tech and I am proud to go here.

I think it's great that Tech wants to get national recognition. While I don't really care about Buddy Holly, there is nothing wrong with trying to break a Guinnes Book World Record. I for one will be at the game and participate and will be excited to do so.

In response to Drewdog: Adding Bobby Knight to the coaching staff at Tech is a great decision. Aside from the national championships, Knight's players have an exemplary graduation rate and success after basketball. Knight has contributed to the school outside of hoops already raising over $67,000 for the Texas Tech Library. He has also brought excitement to the Men's Basketball Program that has been lacking since Tech's Sweet 16 appearence in 1995.

I also have to disagree with you Drewdog that Tech is only concerned with sports and not academics. Aside form the beautiful new basketball arena and other stadium renovations, a new $28,000,000 English and Philosophy Building is being constructed as we speak. Texas Tech is undergoing major campus construction. The Horizon Campaign is using $500 million in private investment for Texas Tech. I am excited about the new construction on campus.

I encourage you Tech alums to visit the Campus Masterplan Website:
    http://www.texastech.edu/masterplan2/index.htm

I hope that you will be as encouraged and as proud of your school as I am.

#7 Matador, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm not down on TTU. I'm just noting that they have to rely out outrageousness to get attention because their on-field accomplishments rarely get the attention they deserve.

Granted, I don't think they are going to win the Big 12 Championship, but that's not being down on them. That's being realistic (though they've got a pretty good team this year, I think. Kingsbury is underrated - which goes back to Tech not getting the recognition they deserve).

9. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

First off, I will say I'm an ex-student of Tech. Granted Tech is trying to get attention, but when everything else is slanted towards two other universities you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rob

10. tozai

tozai Member

too bad their basketball team will STILL suck...
    they couldn't even hold their own in the WAC or C-USA, so forget Big XII. I'll be laughing when they finish last or extremely close to it

11. Fatty FatBastard

I've got no problem with Tech.

I loved it when I was there, and just got my liitle brother to go there, as well.

As far as the "cheating" thing, UT does it, A&M does it, Nebraska sure as hell does it, so Tech did it too.

A couple of writer's from the Houston Chronicle had it out for us, which is sad. And we were caught doing something I GUARANTEE could be found at all off the aforementioned schools, if someone dug.

We got picked out, save it for what it was.

ANYWAY, I still think that guiness thing is gay! (Sorry, Outlaw!)

12. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Baylor has more of a chance to win a conference game this year than for this prediction made by the Chronicle to happen.