ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion

Don't go to college. Santorum is good enough for everything.
Tags:  2012, college, high school, obama, school, trade, white house, women Tags
Nook is online now Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #41
Nook
Nook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyrocket View Post
Plaing devils advocate, I guess imagine you just HATE school, you can't wait to get out and never deal with it again. You get your GED and realize you can't make much dough. You grudgingly go to some community college and drop out after a couple of semesters. You end up in a factory or construction or some blue collar job filled with self loathing that somehow you missed the American dream as you watch your job prospects be shipped overseas. You consider your boss to be a wet behind the ears college boy who is younger than you and makes more money but could never do your job as well as you can.

These are the GOP's bread and butter. Pissed off, scared, and uneducated. Easy to direct that anger and fear towards the hatred of elitists, illegals, muslims, non christians, etc. all while making it seem okay that you don't understand what's going on because being educated is a bad thing.

There is nothing more comforting than someone telling you your shortcomings and failures are not as bad as they seem or not your fault at all.
Dems do the same thing with the poor and minorities ... Common tactic, tell someone their shortcomings are institutional and not individual. I agree with your characterization, currently stationed in Midwest, far more rural and conservative than people think, and your articulation is on point in many cases. I have had affiliated employees tell me exactly what you state.

Sponsored Link
glynch is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #42
glynch
Contributing Member
glynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereglynch is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2032
Actually Rick wants all kids to be homeschooled by fundamentalist Christian parents who don't believe in separation of church and state. He wants the kids to be raised to believe in a form of Christian Sharia in which their interpretation of the Bible trumps civil law. You know like how he educates his kids.

fchowd0311 is online now Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
fchowd0311
Contributing Member
fchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herefchowd0311 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2010
Member: #46089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Yeah, I don't get when getting a college education turned into being a bad thing. Maybe this rhetoric is aimed at conservatives with high school diplomas and GED's to make them feel better about themselves.

I do have a conservative friend. He and his wife never went to college. She doesn't work. He has an hourly wage job. They don't have insurance and are too poor to pay taxes. He has 3 kids and another on the way. All will be home schooled. I made some comment to him about how his kids better get scholarships to go to college and he just scoffed at the idea that his kids would ever go to college. Not that they couldn't get in or they wouldn't be able to afford it, but just that he didn't want his kids to go to college.
Its cool he probably blames Obama for his problems.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #44
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Dang, and I thought anti-education was suppose to be some sort of inner city ghetto thing. Guess I overestimate the intelligence of the general population.
Santorum is using reverse psychology on kids to motivate them to get higher education.

Anyway, here is David Frum's take on the topic

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rty-snobs.html

Qball is offline Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Qball
Contributing Member
Qball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Nov 2001
Member: #3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomaton View Post
I haven't heard anything about t lately, but I remember reading a story from several years ago about Santorium's wife having a miscarrage, and Santorium having a funeral for the gooey pile of aborted fetus, and Santorium forcing his children to kiss it. Creepy.
wow, no need to go there. inappropriate really.

Ottomaton is offline Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #46
Ottomaton
Contributing Member
Ottomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
wow, no need to go there. inappropriate really.

Not 'going' anywhere. The whole thing creaps me the hell out, and is enough to let me know that the guy's thought processes are alien enough that I wouLd never be able to blindly trust him. Not that the guy is malicious or anything, but his mind works in ways that I can't predict or understand.

It is entirely 'appropriate' because the incidenr, by itself, is enough to make me concerned about how he would respond to unpredictable events, thus making me concerned about the idea of President Santorum.

Bedides, I thought conservatives were big fans of the wisdom of repugnance.

Last edited by Ottomaton; 02-28-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Rashmon is offline Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #47
Rashmon
Contributing Member
Rashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1537

Rocketman95 is offline Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #48
Rocketman95
Hangout Boy
Rocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #19
Quote:
Not 'going' anywhere. The whole thing creaps me the hell out, and is enough to let me know that the guy's thought processes are alien enough that I wouLd never be able to blindly trust him. Not that the guy is malicious or anything, but his mind works in ways that I can't predict or understand.

It is entirely 'appropriate' because the incidenr, by itself, is enough to make me concerned about how he would respond to unpredictable events, thus making me concerned about the idea of President Santorum.

And IIRC, the pregnancy was ended when they found out it was having issues and carrying it to full-term could've harmed the health of the mother. IOW, an abortion, which he thinks even rape victims should not be able to consider.

basso is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #49
basso
Contributing Member
basso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2002
Member: #4091
Quote:

and the fact Obama spent 20 years listening to a (different kind of) fundamentalist preacher damn the country he purports to lead does nothing to repel you?

pirc1 is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #50
pirc1
Contributing Member
pirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman95 View Post
And IIRC, the pregnancy was ended when they found out it was having issues and carrying it to full-term could've harmed the health of the mother. IOW, an abortion, which he thinks even rape victims should not be able to consider.
Always do what I say and not look at what I do, that's the mark of a great politician.

geeimsobored is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
geeimsobored
Contributing Member
geeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegeeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegeeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegeeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegeeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegeeimsobored is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2005
Member: #16305
Quote:
Originally Posted by basso View Post
and the fact Obama spent 20 years listening to a (different kind of) fundamentalist preacher damn the country he purports to lead does nothing to repel you?
I thought he was Muslim.

Get your story straight. Is he a radical Christian or a radical Muslim?

Qball is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
Qball
Contributing Member
Qball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQball is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Nov 2001
Member: #3261
Quote:

First off, it's a d-bag move to bring it up in here, It doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Secondly, it's his personal and religious belief to do whatever he pleases as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.

Third, you're incredibly reaching there with your statement that you can somehow tie it to his belief to how he would respond to unpredictable events or how much you can 'trust' him. How are you making that connection?

And what's wrong with someone have different (or weird or alien as you call it) beliefs than yourself anyway? As long as it doesn't adversely affect anyone else...

Ottomaton is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #53
Ottomaton
Contributing Member
Ottomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOttomaton is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Quote:
A few years ago I read 'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabakov. At no point did I feel the need to rape children.

My concern is how he thinks and acts.

Certainly if you were all prepared to vote for Obama, but hearing about Rev. Wright changed your mind, that is your right, basso.

Last edited by Ottomaton; 02-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Ottomaton is offline Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #54
Ottomaton
Contributing Member
Quote:
First off, it's a d-bag move
Thanks, brah. Hope you're stoked to be moving into the frat house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball
It doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.
I think if you reread the thread, there was quite a bit of banter going on regarding Santorum, children, and playgrounds prior to my post, which is whay brought it to mind.

Quote:
And what's wrong with someone have different (or weird or alien as you call it) beliefs than yourself anyway? As long as it doesn't adversely affect anyone else...
As long as he is a private citizen, he can be as crazy as he wants. Necessarily, as President of the US, his behavior effects me. Forcing your children to kiss aborted fetal detritus seems a bit mideval to me. It reminds me of the 19th century practice of posing the corpses of dead people photos with their living relatives. Looking at those just evokes an imediate viceral reaction of creepiness.

If it makes you excited, more power to you. But the way this whole democracy thing works, I can vote for him or not based on whatever criteria I chose. To me, it is important that my president value things like science and education.

Last edited by Ottomaton; 02-28-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: V

Depressio is offline Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #55
Depressio
Contributing Member
Depressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Mar 2009
Member: #39392
Quote:
So going to college is a "liberal" thing now?
Knowledge is often "liberal." Didn't you know that?

Batman Jones is offline Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #56
Batman Jones
Contributing Member
Batman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBatman Jones is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #711
Quote:
So going to college is a "liberal" thing now?
Maybe maybe no, but being educated is.

basso is offline Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #57
basso
Contributing Member
basso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchbasso is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2002
Member: #4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeimsobored View Post
I thought he was Muslim.

Get your story straight. Is he a radical Christian or a radical Muslim?
2 mints in 1?

QdoubleA is offline Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #58
QdoubleA
QdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24521
Quote:
2 mints in 1?
Just got owned? Try humor!

pgabriel is offline Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #59
pgabriel
Contributing Member
pgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepgabriel is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9145
Quote:
hey dude, this should work four years later. i would say good luck, but its a lock, trust me

Mario Elie commenting on Hakeem telling him that David Robinson was holding his MVP trophy before Hakeem destroyed him in 95' WCF.

"i put four in a two call that a kobe bryant" paul wall

B-Bob is offline Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #60
B-Bob
Contributing Member
B-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6273
Back on topic. Why do facts and data hate Santorum so much?

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2012/03...ngs/?iid=HP_LN

Bottom line: longitudinal research shows that people with a college degree earn, on average $650,000 more over their career than someone without a college degree.

Holy crap.