ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Is the NBA Finals the least fabled of Championships?
Tags:  baseball, basketball, epic, football, hockey, nba, nba finals, super bowl, world series Tags
Apps is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Apps
Apps is Omer Asik -- working the boardsApps is Omer Asik -- working the boardsApps is Omer Asik -- working the boardsApps is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31831
I'm talking about the Big Four here, Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey.

Obviously there's the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Stanley Cup, and... the NBA Finals.

Those first three have very storied histories and are fabled parts of sports that are much older than basketball, but it seems like basketball generally falls short of epic-ness when it comes to the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Is it because the event just doesn't have a fancy/catchy name? What is it about the NBA Finals that seems to carry less weight than the other sports' championships? Maybe you disagree altogether. If so, what about the Finals do you think makes it so great in comparison to the other sports?

Sponsored Link
Pieman2005 is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Pieman2005
Pieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPieman2005 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43599
I never hear anyone talking about the Stanley Cup.. The World Series are dead and striving for ratings lately. Super bowl is pretty much Americas prime event. NBA finals and NBA in general is a big topic of conversation where I seem to be around.

As for the glory.. Maybe it's less exciting because in NBA the same teams have won most? (Lakers and Celtics have half.. then Spurs and Bulls.. Detroit.. A few teams with two..)

Germany - 7
Brazil - 1

My autographed Trevor Ariza jersey isn't useless anymore!

TdashDUB is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
TdashDUB
Contributing Member
TdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneTdashDUB is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieman2005 View Post
I never hear anyone talking about the Stanley Cup.. The World Series are dead and striving for ratings lately. Super bowl is pretty much Americas prime event. NBA finals and NBA in general is a big topic of conversation where I seem to be around.

As for the glory.. Maybe it's less exciting because in NBA the same teams have won most? (Lakers and Celtics have half.. then Spurs and Bulls.. Detroit.. A few teams with two..)
Which may also be why the Dallas/Miami was the highest watched finals (..it was, wasn't it? I'm not checking any 'facts' here)

You had the drama of Lebron, of course, and the first-time champs in the Mavs

The history and prestige may not have as much depth as the others, but it's 2nd to the superbowl as of now in attention

houseofglass21 is offline Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
houseofglass21
houseofglass21 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2009
Member: #42211
The Superbowl is more about the stupid commercials and half-time show spectacle. I don't feel that the NFL playoffs are accurate with only one game played against the opposing team.

Baseball is boring as hell.

Hockey...who cares this isn't Canada.

The NBA finals is by far the best championship series to watch.

Aleron is online now Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Aleron
Contributing Member
Aleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46532
Quote:

The world series last year averaged more people than the nba finals (which were the highest nba finals ever)

18.9m vs 17.3m

The superbowl is off in a world of its own pulling well over 100m, and the stanley cup never gets close (averages down around 6m or so)

kingjosh is offline Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
kingjosh
kingjosh is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2010
Member: #45915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
The world series last year averaged more people than the nba finals (which were the highest nba finals ever)

18.9m vs 17.3m

The superbowl is off in a world of its own pulling well over 100m, and the stanley cup never gets close (averages down around 6m or so)
17.3 x 6 games = 100+viewers

That and the advantage of world audience/market makes the nba look quite good dosen't it?

Aleron is online now Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Aleron
Contributing Member
Aleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAleron is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjosh View Post
17.3 x 6 games = 100+viewers

That and the advantage of world audience/market makes the nba look quite good dosen't it?
Basketball tends to have better international appeal, as the sport is more global, but what i've heard is that their pricing has pushed them out of a few international markets (ergo tv stations just don't think it's worth what Stern seems to think it is)

Jontro is offline Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Jontro
Jontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45137
In the States... I think Superbowl has the edge. I don't watch baseball (save for that one year we made the WS) so I don't know if it's as big as the NBA Championship.

Internationally (off topic), the Champions League has the biggest finals IMO.

pmac is offline Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
pmac
Contributing Member
pmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25927
In all honesty, people don't like the NBA Finals and the NBA Playoffs because it is predictable, for the most part. In a 7 game series the best team will almost always win. People prefer the Super Bowl and second would probably be March Madness/Final Four and other college championships. People just want to see the underdogs winning. That doesn't happen in the NBA enough.

Personally, I prefer to see the better guys win, I don't care much for flukes.

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Member: #42029
In order of importance to me goes like this...
1. World Cup
2. NBA Finals
3. Super Bowl
4. World Series
5. ????

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Member: #42029
Pacquiao vs Mayweather could be #5...

da_juice is offline Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
da_juice
da_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
(ergo tv stations just don't think it's worth what Stern seems to think it is)
Stern is a moron, he'd probably make more money by spreading the product, even if it meant less tv revenue. Besides, he'd be getting more than what he has now. 50% of what you want is better than none.

Ricksmith is offline Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Ricksmith
Contributing Member
Ricksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Member: #41990
The World Series ****s all over the NBA Finals. I like basketball more than baseball, but the numbers don't lie. Our personal opinion may be the Finals are better than the World Series, but the rest of the nation disagrees.

napalm_black is offline Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
napalm_black
Contributing Member
napalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33900
Quote:
I never hear anyone talking about the Stanley Cup.
You, being a basketball fan, probably don't associate as much with hockey fans. They tend to be regionally / demographically different audiences.

I'm gonna lay a smack down on anybody who disses Lord Stanley in here. The reverence the players and hardcore fans have for that trophy is rivaled only by the superbowl and world series, as the OP points out. This isn't necessarily about TV ratings, it's about the honor and awe of winning it, if I understand the OP correctly.

heypartner is online now Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by App
Those first three have very storied histories and are fabled parts of sports that are much older than basketball,
For the record, the Super Bowl is not older than the NBA Finals.

napalm_black is offline Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
napalm_black
Contributing Member
napalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemnapalm_black is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33900
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass21 View Post
The Superbowl is more about the stupid commercials and half-time show spectacle. I don't feel that the NFL playoffs are accurate with only one game played against the opposing team.

Baseball is boring as hell.

Hockey...who cares this isn't Canada.

The NBA finals is by far the best championship series to watch.
Wow. Easily dismissing the Stanley Cup, The World Series, AND the Superbowl. Do you just have no interest in sports tradition?

I'm going to be following my Phoenix Coyotes to the bitter end of the playoff chase in the NHL, just like every year. It's a heck of a competition. But basketball fans who have never given the sport a fair shake will continue to hate.

I don't even like baseball as a sport, but I respect the world series and its huge history.

The past 10 years of NBA finals just don't compare to those three. They just don't evoke the same nostalgia in me. I'm merely tossing in my two cents here. I'm going to sign out of this thread because defending other sports against a basketball message board will be like beating my head against a wall.

CCorn is online now Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
CCorn
Contributing Member
CCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47978
Uh... Wimbledon > NBA Finals

Oh and that Supergame thing.

Occupy Unsorted

heypartner is online now Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Here's a poll to put things in perspective per poster (with appropriate timing): if you had to choose one of two things to watch what would it be (for each match-up):

7th game of MLB vs the Oscars
7th game of Stanley Cup vs the Oscars
Super Bowl vs the Oscars very close (Oscar parties wins though, if my gf says so. They are indeed both fun.)
7th game of NBA Finals vs the Oscars (but NBA Finals if I didn't have an Oscar party to go to)

Assume your favorite team is not playing. And as an added question: What if your S.O. wanted to watch the Oscars, but said it would be "OK if you don't go to the Oscar party with me." (yeah, right).

Last edited by heypartner; 02-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.

da_juice is offline Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
da_juice
da_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44535
Where's the love for the Grey Cup?

Rox11 is offline Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Rox11
Rox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRox11 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36318
All those come in to factor but it really comes down to the fans and what they like to see.
Now according to Chicago, everyone's a Blackhawks fan for obvious reasons. Same issue before Rose came. Dang bandwagons.