ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
DuBose: Rockets-Blazers: Behind the numbers

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

9-year-old girl dies when forced to run for three hours as punishment
Tags:  alabama, death, divorce, girlfriend, neighbors, police, school, toys, trailer Tags
dharocks is online now Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
dharocks
Contributing Member
dharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12819
Quote:
ATTALLA, Ala. (AP) – At a doublewide trailer along a dirt road in rural Alabama, authorities say 9-year-old Savannah Hardin was forced to run for three hours as punishment for having lied to her grandmother about eating candy bars. The severely dehydrated girl had a seizure and her death days later was ruled a homicide.

Her grandmother and stepmother who police say meted out the punishment are in jail, facing murder charges Wednesday.

Witnesses told deputies that Savannah was told to run and not allowed to stop for three hours on Friday, an Etowah County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said. The girl's stepmother, 27-year-old Jessica Mae Hardin, called police at 6:45 p.m., telling them that Savannah was having a seizure and was unresponsive.

Neighbor Roger Simpson said he saw a little girl running at around 4 p.m., but didn't see anybody chasing or coercing her.

"I saw her running down there, that's what I told the detectives," Simpson said from his home on a hill overlooking the Hardins. "But I don't see how that would kill her."

Authorities are still trying to determine whether Savannah was forced to run by physical coercion or by verbal commands. Deputies were told the girl was forced to run after lying to her grandmother, 46-year-old Joyce Hardin Garrard, about having eaten the candy, sheriff's office spokeswoman Natalie Barton said.

Savannah Hardin died Monday at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, according to a news release from the sheriff's office. The sheriff's release says the autopsy report showed the girl was extremely dehydrated and had a very low sodium level. A state pathologist ruled it a homicide.

The sheriff's office received calls from concerned citizens who had witnessed the running. No other details were released.

Gail Denny and her husband Phil, live just up a dirt road from the home.
They've known the family since they moved to the area in northeastern Alabama seven years ago.

The Denny's say they were used to seeing Savannah and other neighborhood children out waiting on the school bus in the morning. Gayle said her grandson had a crush on Savannah.

"My grandson asked her to be his girlfriend on Valentine's Day, and she said 'yes,'" Gail said before dissolving into tears.

The trailer where Savannah lived was surrounded by a wooden fence, playground equipment and toys. Neighbors say they never saw children playing in the yard. Her father, Robert Hardin, was filing for divorce, but neighbors said they saw him there with the kids at times.

They tell The Associated Press that Garrard owned a lot of property along the road and much of her family lived in homes on that property.

"It seems like a very happy extended family around here," Denny said. "There are mothers, grandmothers, kids. It sounds like a punishment that got out of hand."

Garrard and Jessica Mae Hardin are being held in the Etowah County Detention Center, each on a $500,000 cash bond.

Court records show that Robert Hardin filed for divorce in August of 2010. In his complaint, he asserted his wife was bi-polar and had alcoholic tendencies. He accused her of previously having run off with the couple's own child.

In her response, Jessica denied all of Robert's allegations.
Five months after filing for divorce, the two asked a judge to dismiss their case.

Savannah Hardin was a third-grader at Carlisle Elementary School. Superintendent Alan Cosby said her desk had been turned into a makeshift memorial where her classmates could leave notes and mementos. He said counselors and social workers were made available for students.

"This is obviously a very tragic, devastating, heartbreaking situation," Cosby said. "Nothing like this has ever happened before."
I think the murder charges are appropriate. You force a 9-year-old girl to run for three hours without rest or hydration, what do you think is going to happen?

I'll be interested to see how the board's corporal punishment advocates feel about this. I remember some interesting responses in the thread about the judge who beat his mentally handicapped daughter.

Sponsored Link
Warning-Sign is offline Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Warning-Sign
Warning-Sign is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodWarning-Sign is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43693
"My grandson asked her to be his girlfriend on Valentine's Day, and she said 'yes,'" Gail said before dissolving into tears.

This part really made me feel sad, aside from her death.

dmc89 is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
dmc89
dmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedmc89 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #40011
I think this is fitting punishment for both women. A 19th century tread wheel.

percicles is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
percicles
Contributing Member
percicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpercicles is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4461
Is Alabama the new Florida?

Zboy is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Zboy
Contributing Member
Zboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6676
This punishment will not work in Kenya.

Mr. Brightside is offline Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Mr. Brightside
Contributing Member
Mr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMr. Brightside is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Mar 2005
Member: #16125
I don't mean to be inappropriate, but my goal has always been to finish a marathon in under 3 hours.

BetterThanEver is offline Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
BetterThanEver
Contributing Member
BetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25693
Every year, there is a headline about high school football players who die from dehydration.

The step-mom to pull this on an 8 year old can be no accident. It's cruel.

Morey keeps saying that Patterson was ranked 6th on their draft board. If that is the case, he either got real lazy and didn't do a lot of scouting or he got one F'd up draft board.

(edit)...my top 10 ranking
(edit)...Patterson either 12 or 13.
(edit)...6. Greg Monroe 7. Al-Farouq Aminu 8. Paul George 9. Cole Aldrich 10. James Anderson

ItsMyFault is offline Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
ItsMyFault
Contributing Member
ItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36216
Give the grandmother and step mother the death penalty.

Lil Pun is offline Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Lil Pun
Contributing Member
Lil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLil Pun is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #827
****ing grown ups.

I agree with IMF above.

rhadamanthus is offline Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
rhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8186
I wish I had not read this.

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2009
Member: #42029
That is just horrible...

Joshfast is online now Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Joshfast
Contributing Member
Joshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchJoshfast is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3337
And the two torturers are fatties.

Earth is a messed up place.

So the Cowboys are self described as non-working class, non-cowboy sparkling glitter pansies.

Surfguy is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Surfguy
Contributing Member
Surfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #752
Some people are too stupid to understand how making someone run for three hours without hydrating can kill a person. I think that probably applies here. Throw the book at them. Screw them.

Xerobull is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Xerobull
Contributing Member
Xerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12692
I stopped reading at 'Ala'. Lock 'em up.

Bear_Bryant is offline Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Bear_Bryant
Bear_Bryant is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBear_Bryant is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerobull View Post
I stopped reading at 'Ala'. Lock 'em up.

rolyat93 is offline Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
rolyat93
rolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47852
Sounds like she....

ran out of time.

CCorn is offline Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
CCorn
Contributing Member
CCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47978
Story taught me a lot, I'm never running again.

Occupy Unsorted

Cannonball is offline Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Cannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19677
Alabama, trailer park, grandma at age 37, giving idiot punishment for minor bad behavior. White trash stereotypes galore.

Jugdish is offline Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Jugdish
Jugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16532
9-year-old girl
27-year-old mother
46-year-old grandmother

"Easy there, Iacocca" -pouhe

"I'd be surprised if YOU had one left. SMH ignoraenous'." -FLASH21

zomg

Cowboy_Bebop is offline Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
Cowboy_Bebop
Cowboy_Bebop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineCowboy_Bebop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineCowboy_Bebop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30511
Read that a couple of days ago on the front page of my news site but I wonder why it was gone like hours later. People like this don't deserve to have kids. The wicked stepmother and grandmother need to be punished severely.