ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Trade deadline 2012 - realistic trade scenarios
Tags:  1560, 2012, basketball, houston rockets, nba, pau gasol, trade Tags
MarcusMorris20 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #41
MarcusMorris20
MarcusMorris20 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie34 View Post
Is there a chance we trade directly with Boston? I mean the 'Big 3' are 'on the market' and perhaps KG is a better fit than Gasol. Maybe they can package him with Ray Allen. Ray could come off the bench as 6th man and brings veteran leadership.

PG: Lowry/Flynn
SG: Lee/Allen
SF: Parson/Morris
PF: Garnett/PPat
C: Dalembert/Hill/Smith
I'd love to see Garnett come to Houston, even if it's only for 2 years. He's got the clutch gene, and it would certainly be welcome in H-Town.

Along the same lines, Paul Pierce would be a nice add as well.

Sponsored Link
t0mdotcom is offline Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #42
t0mdotcom
t0mdotcom is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #50328
I've heard rumors that the Lakers reportedly want Michael Beasley and the Timberwolves may actively pursue Kevin Martin.

If this is the case, I think this trade would be good for every team.

LAL receives - Luis Scola, Goran Dragic (or Flynn), Michael Beasley, & Wesley Johnson.

HOU receives - Pau Gasol

MIN receives - Kevin Martin

t0mdotcom is offline Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #43
t0mdotcom
t0mdotcom is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #50328
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mdotcom View Post
I've heard rumors that the Lakers reportedly want Michael Beasley and the Timberwolves may actively pursue Kevin Martin.

LAL receives - Luis Scola, Goran Dragic (or Flynn), Michael Beasley, & Wesley Johnson.

HOU receives - Pau Gasol

Or instead of Wesley Johnson throw in Anthony Randolph

ThatBoyNick is offline Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
ThatBoyNick
ThatBoyNick is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineThatBoyNick is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49886
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
should free up those 3

What happend to parsons face? it was clear when we first drafted him and then when the season started it was full with acne.

BHannes2BHonest is offline Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #45
BHannes2BHonest
BHannes2BHonest is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46593
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealist View Post

The thought that the Lakers are Desperate to get rid of Gasol is complete Myth. Yes, it is true changes to the CBA have been made, but they can still go above the cap and pay the luxury tax, the tax is just significantly larger now. As much as this may piss off a lot of fans, the Lakers are one of the few teams in the league that have the means to pay this harsh tax.
That is where you are wrong. Jim Buss' kids are now running that organization and their primary concern is money a.k.a. the luxury tax. That is the whole reason they gave Lamar Odom away and have fired countless scouts and other personnel behind the scenes.... Mark my words they WILL NOT be paying the luxury tax any time soon.... think about it....

acshen is offline Old 02-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
acshen
Contributing Member
acshen is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodacshen is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24030
Quote:

HOU receives - Pau Gasol

I think this trade makes tons of sense for everyone involved.

I think he has some of the best star potential in the draft, only behind Thomas Robinson and Davis.

okguy456 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #47
okguy456
Contributing Member
okguy456 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #50362
why would we trade dragic?! what would we do for a backup PG? go with flynn? i dont like that idea at all

larsv8 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #48
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
Quote:
Originally Posted by okguy456 View Post
why would we trade dragic?! what would we do for a backup PG? go with flynn? i dont like that idea at all
Dragic is expiring and its unlikely he comes back next year unless he signs cheap cheap cheap.

Id bet Llull comes over next season as our backup PG.

If you can package Scola, Budinger, Dragic for a good piece, you do it. It just makes sense.

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

JayZ750 is online now Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #49
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsv8 View Post
Dragic is expiring and its unlikely he comes back next year unless he signs cheap cheap cheap.

If you can package Scola, Budinger, Dragic for a good piece, you do it. It just makes sense.
Fair, but he packaged Scola, Martin and Dragic.

Before the season, with the opportunity to sign Nene (whatever you think of him), sure. Today? No.

I've been wrong before, but it's hard to see DM pull the trigger again on effectively a Scola, Martin, Dragic trade for just Gasol.

cod is offline Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #50
cod
cod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46952
Quote:

Dragic and Llull will probably command the same type of contract.

aznxdongie is offline Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #51
aznxdongie
aznxdongie is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19556
I was one of fans here that would love to see Gasol trade happend b4 the season started, so we would sign Nene keep Hayes & Lin, still lots of pain when thinking about it.
Now this team is playing well, but Scola is only post offensive player we have and yet he can be taken out of the game easily by doubling or fronting, if we stay the strategy of trading Scola/Martin/Dragic for Gasol, no doubt its great upgrade at pf spot ideally, but u got to consider how much fire Gasol still has once he get trade here as he mentioned he doesn't' like to play in Houston, plus the team chemistry maybe destructed tremendously from there by losing two starter n good backup pg. Plus, i think Gasol's trade value has got raised because his frequent exposure to media. In long term his contract can be poisoned if he continues his low performance.
No doubt we still need to upgrade our 4/5, who else is the league may have the same quality like Gasol but its tradable? - Al Jefferson. half season is gone and Jazz 15/17 that team needs a direction, despite the early success this team is struggling now because they are super light at 1-3, Harris can't shoot, Hayward too soft, the rest has nothing. Plus, they wanna develop kanter and Favors, with Jefferson and Millsap locked in the 4/5, they both only got 10 mpg. When we got K martin, Sarc listed him as untouchable asset until the last min. not just once or twice Morey praised Jazz in the public i think he is looking at Jazz as well and see what he can get from them. Hopefully Morey can do his magic again.

I would do the trade like the following:
hou: Al Jefferson
min: Martin
jazz: Dragic/Hill/Beasley/Johnson(or Webster + pick).

Salary wise works. Each team got what they need. What you guys think?

larsv8 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #52
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
Fair, but he packaged Scola, Martin and Dragic.

Before the season, with the opportunity to sign Nene (whatever you think of him), sure. Today? No.

I've been wrong before, but it's hard to see DM pull the trigger again on effectively a Scola, Martin, Dragic trade for just Gasol.
I agree. I think it is unlikely Martin is included in any trade with Scola for Gasol at this point. Morey made the initial trade thinking he was getting Gasol/Nene and Lin.

The price (that we are willing to pay) for just Gasol is much lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod View Post
Dragic and Llull will probably command the same type of contract.
I don't think so. Rockets have exclusive negotiating rights with Llull and he is on a different "years in NBA" scale than Dragic, as defined by the CBA. Llull will come in on rookie scale, Dragic will get veteran money.

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

HiGHurNAMEis is offline Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #53
HiGHurNAMEis
HiGHurNAMEis is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50073
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
I think Howard has to get traded and say "I'm signing an extension with X team" before D-Will gets moved. New Jersey is waiting to see if they can combine the two and are working hard to convince Howard to sign with them.

If we can't snag Howard with an extension, then our best-case scenario for getting D-Will would be for Howard to be traded to some team who is set at PG and/or can't afford to bring D-Will over. The Clippers or the Bulls, for instance, though I shudder to think how good either of those teams would be combining their PG play with Dwight.

I do think offering Lowry would make us a frontrunner for D-Will if he becomes available and if would sign an extension here (two big "ifs").

I think our best case realistic scenario is as follows:

1) Trade for Pau Gasol using Scola and bench players/other assets (in other words, without including Martin or Lowry in the deal)
2) Dwight goes to the Clippers, Bulls, Thunder, some team which already has a superstar PG and doesn't want D-Will
3) D-Will agrees he would sign an extension to play with Gasol and our deep team, we trade for him using Lowry + expirings

A lot would have to go right for us, for all that to happen. It's not very likely in other words, but it's something I could definitely see playing out in real life, so that being the case I think it could be classified as "realistic".

...+1
Well thought out & put together speculation.

Aleron is online now Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #54
Aleron
Contributing Member
Aleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46532
If NJ trade D-will, it won't be for the future, it will be for players that can get them into the playoffs.

They're moving the team, and they're moving it to New York, being bad for a bright future may work for the sports starved hicks of Oklahoma, but you move to NY and start bad, it's just going to be brutal.

Aleron is online now Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #55
Aleron
Contributing Member
Aleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAleron is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46532
Quote:

HOU receives - Pau Gasol

The Scola, Martin, Dragic deal for Gasol included enough cap space to then add Nene as well, without that additional factor, that trade just won't happen.

leebigez is offline Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #56
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2700
I don't think rondo or howard are getting traded. La wants to move gasol badly,but they won't give him away. In orlandos case, they will just do a sign and trade at seasons end and get a trade exception if they still have those.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

CDave is offline Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #57
CDave
CDave is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #50367
Scola, Martin and Dragic were NEVER trade assets that were targeted for the Lakers back in December.

Hello? Their destination was NEW ORLEANS.

Now if LA wanted that trade, they would've made it then and there would have been no purpose for bringing New Orleans into a hree way trade.

But they didn't want that trade then. They wanted Chris Paul without whom there was no deal.

Now if they didn't want Scola, Martin and Dragic in December for Gasol, why would they want them now?

Hello?

Answer= they wouldn't! They're still looking for that point guard and it's not Scorin' Goran Dragic.

CDave is offline Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #58
CDave
CDave is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #50367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHannes2BHonest View Post
That is where you are wrong. Jim Buss' kids are now running that organization and their primary concern is money a.k.a. the luxury tax. That is the whole reason they gave Lamar Odom away and have fired countless scouts and other personnel behind the scenes.... Mark my words they WILL NOT be paying the luxury tax any time soon.... think about it....
Lots of hype and speculation has been written about the Buss family for years and years and the the more recent so-called feud that supposedly existed between the sons and Phil Jackson.

But the Lakers have had 2 GMs in forty years since Jerry Buss bought the team. The Laker FO is known for being very methodical, unemotional, consummate professional basketball people do what's right by the team and as long as Jerry's alive and Kupchak is the GM, they're not going to let the Lakers fall apart.

if anything the cable network deal isolates them much further from having to be too concerned about the immediate impact of additional cost coming from the luxury tax although I'm sure their preference is not to pay it down the road.

In almost 5 decades, through thick and thin, The Buss's have never balked at having to bankroll the franchise. It's inconceivable that Jerry would allow this to become his legacy as the owner of the team.

As far as Odom, your story doesn't jive with what I've heard. Odom would have been retained following Stern Gate but he was hugely disappointed and demanded a trade and the Laker FO accommodated.

As it turns out, Odom reported in the worst shape of his career, thanks to his Hollywood priorities last year and is now a shadow of the player he was in LA. He's currently a hostage of the Mavs deep bench and most likely at 32 years old, won't ever recover.

cod is offline Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #59
cod
cod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46952
Quote:
I don't think so. Rockets have exclusive negotiating rights with Llull and he is on a different "years in NBA" scale than Dragic, as defined by the CBA. Llull will come in on rookie scale, Dragic will get veteran money.
Llull is a 2nd round pick. There is no rookie scale for him.

He would also be on the same " "years in NBA" scale" as Dragic. This would not matter anyway as it only concerns max contracts.

Rudy Fernandez signed a 3M ($4M) per year contract with Real Madrid during the lockout. That's tax free money. If Llull is their franchise player and can command that sort of cash the Rockets would have to offer at the least the MLE to even have a sniff at signing him away from Spain.

kjayp is offline Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #60
kjayp
Contributing Member
kjayp is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodkjayp is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19684
I dont want Pau - I have no interest in dumping a third of our total cap space into a 31, 32 and then 33 yr old Pau Gasol.... that said, I'd love to play third wheel - sending Pau to Minnie with Bud. Scola, Dragic and Beasley to LA. We walk away with Derrick Williams and a center (preferably Pekovic - realistically Darko)...

Kamen for expirings (and possibly Bud) - cool.

Celtics... pass! Those dinosaurs are all fading fast and fall in the same category as overpaying Gasol...

D12/DWill dream - i'd go all in for whatever we gotta do...

Kmart to Minnie - plenty of good possibilities I'd consider!

Deal with Portland.... Wallace or Batum are worth dealin for...

We didn't tank - and we're on the rise.... remember that the next time you wanna rail about some 'treadmill of mediocrity...' I'll take DM's ability over the randomness of some ping pong balls anyday!