ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

[Time] Chinese officials want Lin on National Team
Tags:  2012, basketball, china, international basketball, linsanity, minnesota, minnesota timberwolves, nba, new york knicks, olympics, usa, yao ming Tags
daywalker02 is offline Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #81
daywalker02
daywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19255
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheetah View Post
Lin is from the independent nation of Taiwan -- why would he want to play for China?
Because he is not related to any political stuff.
It's a sports decision. Even a non related Kirilenko could work something out with China if he decides to join China
This has nothing to do with anything above mentioned, it's a sports decision.

Taiwan is not as independent as you think.
If China cut its economic ties with Taiwan, that would be a huge loss.
That is the reason they have a China friendly President who advocates for a better partnership with Mainland China. They are dependent.

[CBS] It's hard to say what could really get Howard back in the good graces of the public eye other than winning. The Rockets probably have to make at least the second round this season and he needs to be the best player on the team.

Sponsored Link
johnstarks is offline Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #82
johnstarks
johnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodjohnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30299
It's the Olympics--where each country is represented by their own players. Sorry, but develop your own damn players.

I was okay with Hakeem playing for the US since he developed in the US and was naturalized.

Air Langhi is offline Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #83
Air Langhi
Contributing Member
Air Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey006 View Post
I think Lin would be insane to do that.

I hope he doesn't play in the Olympics at all. He's better taking the summer off and working on his game even more so he can be an all star next year (and maybe bring the Knicks a championship).

If anything, Lin should play for team USA. His parents aren't even from China. They're from Taiwan. I'm not sure if Taiwan have a basketball team but Lin identifies himself as American first before Chinese or Taiwanese. On top of that, Lin's Mandarin isn't very good at all. He'll have communication problems with the coaching staff and his teammates.

So no, he shouldn't play for either China or Taiwan. And this is a disgrace from China to actually demand something like this from Lin. No wonder Yao doesn't play in the NBA anymore.
No chance he could make the US team. I think if he has a chance to play in the Olympics he should do it. I am sure sure would allow a waiver for him.

pirc1 is online now Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #84
pirc1
Contributing Member
pirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9366
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstarks View Post
It's the Olympics--where each country is represented by their own players. Sorry, but develop your own damn players.

I was okay with Hakeem playing for the US since he developed in the US and was naturalized.
do you have any idea what you are talking about? Us does that in other sports all the time.

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #85
daywalker02
daywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirc1 View Post
do you have any idea what you are talking about? Us does that in other sports all the time.
Seconded.

China has its second tier table tennis players playing all across the globe for European, African, other Asian countries.....

Because they have the best talent pool they do not care.

[CBS] It's hard to say what could really get Howard back in the good graces of the public eye other than winning. The Rockets probably have to make at least the second round this season and he needs to be the best player on the team.

davidwu is offline Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #86
davidwu
Contributing Member
davidwu is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8371
There must be, probably not high-profile ones.

One example, Alex Tian Hua, a Chinese equestrian who was born in London. He gave up his British citizenship at age 18 just to be able to be on the 2008 Olympics team of China.

If China changes the dual-citizenship rule, people like Patrick Chan (top skater) and Jeremy Chan are very likely to jump the ship for larger endorsement deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanEver View Post
It's uncommon for athletes to renounce their current citizenship, just to play basketball in the Olympics or World Championships. I can't think of any NBA players that has done it. Who were the ones that did it in 2008?

BetterThanEver is offline Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #87
BetterThanEver
Contributing Member
BetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25693
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwu View Post
There must be, probably not high-profile ones.

One example, Alex Tian Hua, a Chinese equestrian who was born in London. He gave up his British citizenship at age 18 just to be able to be on the 2008 Olympics team of China.

If China changes the dual-citizenship rule, people like Patrick Chan (top skater) and Jeremy Chan are very likely to jump the ship for larger endorsement deals.
How many thousands of athletes played in the 2008 Olympics? One athlete is as as low as you can go without saying zero. It's uncommon as I said. Or even worse, it's rare. Some people are making it sound like it happens all the time.

Morey keeps saying that Patterson was ranked 6th on their draft board. If that is the case, he either got real lazy and didn't do a lot of scouting or he got one F'd up draft board.

(edit)...my top 10 ranking
(edit)...Patterson either 12 or 13.
(edit)...6. Greg Monroe 7. Al-Farouq Aminu 8. Paul George 9. Cole Aldrich 10. James Anderson

heartofachamp34 is offline Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #88
heartofachamp34
heartofachamp34 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgunrules View Post
In all fairness, the Chinese basketball team has all the reasons to try to get a guy like JLin. But their country doesn't allow dual citizenship. Therefore if Lin wants to play in the London Olymipcs he has to give up his U.S. citizenship. The story cannot and should not be twisted as China demanding Lin to renounce citizenship.

Lin should understand why Team USA doesn't want him just yet. Actually it's better for him spend the summer on improving his games. If he is ever going to reprsent a country, USA should be the only country to play for. Cause this is where he grew up, learned his skills and made his name.
/endthread

heartofachamp34 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #89
heartofachamp34
heartofachamp34 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50196
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post

Taiwan is not as independent as you think.
If China cut its economic ties with Taiwan, that would be a huge loss.
That is the reason they have a China friendly President who advocates for a better partnership with Mainland China. They are dependent.

Huge loss you say? And yet, Taiwan's economy was humming along just fine in the 60s - 80s while the mainland was stuck in third world status.

You really think China would have grown at the pace it has the past 2 decades without the vast investment pouring in to its Special Economic Zones from Taiwanese businessmen and entrepreneurs?

China friendly President? No, just a smart president that knows China's got about a couple thousand nukes pointed at his nation's population centers, along with S. Korea and Japan. That's like saying the parent of a kidnapped child is 'friendly' with the kidnappers asking for the ransom. But then again, I suppose it must be difficult for you mainlanders to tell the difference between coercion and free will.

tinman is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #90
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstarks View Post

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #91
daywalker02
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofachamp34 View Post
Huge loss you say? And yet, Taiwan's economy was humming along just fine in the 60s - 80s while the mainland was stuck in third world status.

You really think China would have grown at the pace it has the past 2 decades without the vast investment pouring in to its Special Economic Zones from Taiwanese businessmen and entrepreneurs?

China friendly President? No, just a smart president that knows China's got about a couple thousand nukes pointed at his nation's population centers, along with S. Korea and Japan. That's like saying the parent of a kidnapped child is 'friendly' with the kidnappers asking for the ransom. But then again, I suppose it must be difficult for you mainlanders to tell the difference between coercion and free will.
no hard feelings... why don't you discuss that in the hangout.
this should be about sports. Just pointed out they are linked together.
and through sports.

Calling me personal names that I am not, does not end the argument.
It is my 2 cents if I were an atheist.
take it or leave it.

infinitidoug is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #92
infinitidoug
infinitidoug is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47248
Man, what if China had both Lin and Yao? How would they rank on the international level? Obviously not first because of the US, but still...

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #93
daywalker02
I add.... I am not mainland friendly but I try to be fair. China apart from its politics is quite nice if you can get used to it. Ask Steph Starbury

YallMean is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #94
YallMean
YallMean is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineYallMean is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineYallMean is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Mar 2003
Member: #11445
Quote:
Originally Posted by alethios View Post
This - I thought he was Taiwanese. How does China presume they can do this? Oh wait...Taiwan never had their own sovereignty recognized by China.

Sucks...
right. if lin were to join china, wait for taiwan to declare war on china.r

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #95
daywalker02
Quote:
Originally Posted by YallMean View Post
right. if lin were to join china, wait for taiwan to declare war on china.r
That must be something. A single player could be reason for war?

No. It was not Michael Jordan.

rn_xw is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #96
rn_xw
rn_xw is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16556
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofachamp34 View Post

Now you are delusional. The economy now is a world based economy, China is a integral part of it and can not be ignored. Talking about 60-80s, we don't live at the 60s or 80s anymore. Taiwan's biggest export by far is mainland China, at 80Billion a year, second place, HK, 40B, and guess who owns HK?

You get the idea.

JLin proly won't do it, too much hassle and I don't see the benefit for him, since he's already too popular and proly will sign lots of commercial deals, show deals, tours etc.. He's getting the Kobe status over there in China.

Easy is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #97
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6116
Maybe the Olympics should do a draft thing. Parity, you know. It's kind of boring with the same few countries dominating every time.

bx2vio is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #98
bx2vio
bx2vio is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Member: #47442
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZpreTPnSk

Heres a video of jeremy playing for a chinese club against a club from taiwan in what seems to be an asia tournament.

bx2vio is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #99
bx2vio
bx2vio is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Member: #47442
btw the video's sound clip is super annoying!

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #100
daywalker02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx2vio View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZpreTPnSk

Heres a video of jeremy playing for a chinese club against a club from taiwan in what seems to be an asia tournament.
Visually better than all the other guards