ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[Rockets.com] - Chandler Parsons reminding us of Shane Battier...
Tags:  2012, basketball, chandler parsons, defense, grizzlies, houston, houston rockets, nba, nba.com, rockets.com, shane battier Tags
azoghbi is offline Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
azoghbi
azoghbi is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18694
Nice piece from Jason at Rockets.com. Parsons is continuing to show why he is the steal of the draft, and it's good to see that his approach to the game mirrors Battier's. If he can develop his offensive game further (which is a reasonable expectation), I really think he might be the answer for us at the three given just how good he is defensively...

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/reca...012_02_20.html

Quote:
HOUSTON - In the beginning, there was Shane Battier. OK, OK, the former Rocket hasn’t been around that long, even though he’d be the first to admit he’s been on the basketball scene for what might seem like a (relative) eternity.

The exact timeline isn’t important, however. What is vital to the subject at hand is how Battier became the gold standard for guys whose contributions toward winning transcend the traditional box score. You’ve no doubt read about his status as the “No-Stats All-Star.” He mastered all the little things, searching for any edge he could find in his efforts to help his club emerge victorious: the outstretched hand in a shooter’s face; the expertly-delivered entry passes; his knack for winning jump balls against taller opponents. For all those reasons – and many, many more – Battier was beloved in Houston. Still is, in fact.

Which is precisely why Clutch City should be going gaga right now for Chandler Parsons.

The similarities are downright eerie. To be sure, Parsons and Battier are not clones, but the resemblance grows more striking by the game. It’s a kinship seen clearest in Parsons’ rapid ascension to the role of the Rockets’ designated wing stopper; a position in which the rookie takes pride and, more importantly, delivers results. His defense against Rudy Gay Monday night was magnificent, as was his role in the Rockets’ stifling fourth quarter defense which allowed Houston to grind out a much-needed 97-93 win over the Grizzlies.

Sponsored Link
Cstyle42 is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Cstyle42
Cstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodCstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33157
He was crucial to our success yesterday... the defense on Rudy Gay was good just like the defense Tony Allen put on Kevin Martin.

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7003
Hmmmmmm.

I was wondering last night if Parson's value had increased to the point that the Lakers would do a Dragic, Parsons, Scola, Dally deal for Gasol.

Now we have to build a team that can beat the Thunder, Lakers, and Heat.

OremLK is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatmc View Post
Hmmmmmm.

I was wondering last night if Parson's value had increased to the point that the Lakers would do a Dragic, Parsons, Scola, Dally deal for Gasol.
I'm not sure that'd be worth it for us if they did. I think it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year, because we don't really have anyone else on the roster who can give us what Dragic, Parsons, and Dalembert bring night in and night out. Gasol is a big upgrade over Scola, but is he big enough to lose two starters and one of your most important bench players?

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
I'm not sure that'd be worth it for us if they did. I think it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year, because we don't really have anyone else on the roster who can give us what Dragic, Parsons, and Dalembert bring night in and night out. Gasol is a big upgrade over Scola, but is he big enough to lose two starters and one of your most important bench players?

Oh, it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year. We'd go from a 0.01% chance of winning it all to a 0.005% chance of winning it all.

OremLK is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Oh, it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year. We'd go from a 0.01% chance of winning it all to a 0.005% chance of winning it all.
Why get Gasol if you don't want to win this year and next year? Who even knows how good he'll be the last two years of his contract (age 33 and 34 seasons).

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
jopatmc
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
Why get Gasol if you don't want to win this year and next year? Who even knows how good he'll be the last two years of his contract (age 33 and 34 seasons).
1. He is a premier player that will attract other premier players.

2. He immediately makes this team better with his ability in the high post.

3. He is a more attractive trade piece for Orlando if they decide to move Dwight. We can then pitch him, Martin, Lowry, expirings for Dwight and trash. Orlando couldn't do better than that in a deal.

azoghbi is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
azoghbi
azoghbi is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18694
Quote:
Hmmmmmm.

Would want more than Gasol for that honestly. Dragic is one of the best back up pgs in the league. Parsons has a pretty high ceiling, and we would lose a lot of our defensive identity that we are working towards. Gasol is NOT known for his defense. Combine that with the fact that we would be completely lost at the three for the time being, I wouldn't understand the long term goal of that move. I know you are not a fan of Dally and you are being more than vindicated by his recent string of erratic play. That being said, he can help us win games with the good stretches of defense that he plays and he certainly has had a positive impact on games, at times even being one of the main reasons we win. When he plays like s***, which has been happening a lot, McHale has the presence of mind to sit him and keep him relegated to the bench where he should be. That being said, losing him would not be the biggest of my concerns. It would be the loss of depth, defense, and a quality backup pg and solid 3 man.

Going for Gasol seems like a "win now" move, and I honestly think that we essentially have no chance at beating the Heat with Gasol as our "star" player. Gasol needs some depth around him to be successful at a championship level (i.e. a super talent like kobe + quality depth), and we would be losing a good deal of our depth with that move.

OremLK is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
OremLK
Quote:
I'm not convinced other stars are saying "I want to play with Pau Gasol!" I view a move for Gasol as something where we want to build our team around him and Lowry for this year and next year and if we're really lucky one more year after that. I think a Lowry + Gasol combo could make some serious noise in the playoffs, if they were surrounded by a deep, balanced team. (The last part is key though.)

Quote:
Not if you sacrifice most of your starting lineup to get him! If you just swap him in for Scola without losing any other core rotation pieces, obviously that makes the team better. I don't think it's so clear if you're giving up too many good players.

Quote:
3. He is a more attractive trade piece for Orlando if they decide to move Dwight. We can then pitch him, Martin, Lowry, expirings for Dwight and trash. Orlando couldn't do better than that in a deal.
Why would Dwight sign an extension to play with a Rockets team which doesn't have any other all-star level players? I wouldn't give up all that just to rent him for a half a season and make a first-round exit in the playoffs.

acsorelle4 is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
acsorelle4
acsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42819
Quote:

I normally like your posts, but please get off this Gasol nonsense. He won't help us in any way. We're better standing pat and making a move next year or even falling back on amnesty if the case merits.

Back to Parsons: yeah, he is like Battier...can't shoot.

I kid.

OremLK is offline Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
OremLK
Don't get me wrong I would like to add Gasol but it has to be for the right price. That suggested trade is too much to give up.

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
jopatmc
Contributing Member
The reason why the T-Wolves are trying to acquire Pau is because Rubio wants to play with him. That should tell you something about Pau and his game. He's got plenty of game left. He'll be playing very effectively 5 years from now.

daywalker02 is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
daywalker02
daywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedaywalker02 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19255
Quote:
The reason why the T-Wolves are trying to acquire Pau is because Rubio wants to play with him. That should tell you something about Pau and his game. He's got plenty of game left. He'll be playing very effectively 5 years from now.
Where would he play then? I like what Pekovic brings to the table. He is the Serbian Bulldozer or Bulldog. He brings grit and toughness.

[CBS] It's hard to say what could really get Howard back in the good graces of the public eye other than winning. The Rockets probably have to make at least the second round this season and he needs to be the best player on the team.

HadToDoItCF is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
HadToDoItCF
HadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50331
Even though this thread got derailed by Gasol talk (yet again), I have to say that I am more and more happy with Chandler as the iris of my eye focuses on him game after game.

1. The kid plays smart basketball. He made 4 hard cuts last night with the shot clock winding down that resulted in 2 lay ups for him, one for a teammate (off a pass), and one for CLee for a corner 3.

2. You will never see him standing on top of someone else. His floor spacing is always superb and it will only get better when he gets more confident in his shot. And let's be honest, his shot doesn't look bad or have anywhere to go but up.

3. Last night he was helping to direct the offense by sending guys through when we had a bit of a small line up in the game. At one point, I believe CLee thought he was playing the 2 in our corner series and he sent him through to the opposite wing. Presence of mind is impressive out of a young guy like that...

4. His defense, as we all know, is very good.

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe Chandler will end his career as an all-star, but to dump him for an aged veteran at this point makes very little sense to me and hopefully to DM as well.

Coaching your kid's 7th grade AAU team makes you a dime a dozen, not John Wooden.

DieHard Rocket is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
DieHard Rocket
Contributing Member
DieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1882
LOL @ trading Parsons/Dragic/Scola/Bert decreasing our chances of winning it all this year, as if we had any.

It's interesting that Parsons has already gotten to the point that we hesitate to include him in a trade for a player as good as Gasol. Wing stoppers with decent offensive game are hard to find.

tofu-- is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
tofu--
tofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31526
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsorelle4 View Post
I normally like your posts, but please get off this Gasol nonsense. He won't help us in any way. We're better standing pat and making a move next year or even falling back on amnesty if the case merits.

Back to Parsons: yeah, he is like Battier...can't shoot.

I kid.
It's weird how much people seem to overvalue Gasol.

HadToDoItCF is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
HadToDoItCF
HadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHadToDoItCF is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50331
Quote:
So 2 guys who have played together on the national team for ages want to play with each other in the NBA, and that is an indicator that Pau has 5+ years left of 17 and 8 (or so) basketball? Ummm, I don't think that you'd be saying the same thing just predicated upon Manu saying he'd want to play with Luis. Then again, you just may... and I'm not entirely sure why.

Coaching your kid's 7th grade AAU team makes you a dime a dozen, not John Wooden.

Pizza_Da_Hut is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Pizza_Da_Hut
Pizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herePizza_Da_Hut is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13337
If only we still had him, then maybe he could mold chanandler into his image. I'm still stunned Shane turned heel. I can't believe it.

Wild about them Cats!

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
jopatmc
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadToDoItCF View Post
So 2 guys who have played together on the national team for ages want to play with each other in the NBA, and that is an indicator that Pau has 5+ years left of 17 and 8 (or so) basketball? Ummm, I don't think that you'd be saying the same thing just predicated upon Manu saying he'd want to play with Luis. Then again, you just may... and I'm not entirely sure why.

I did not say Rubio wanting to play with Pau means he has 5+ years left. I said Rubio wanting to play with Pau is evidence that he currently still has major game...right now. Wherever he is traded to, expect an uptick in points, assists, rebounds, and overall effectiveness on both ends of the court. Pau's game is supressed playing with Kobe. As most everyone's game is supressed when playing with Kobe.

My comment that he has 5+ effective years left is based on his age, his size, his skillset, and the way he plays the game. He is in his early 30's . He's a 7-footer. He is very skilled. And he doesn't play a highwire act game. He plays a cerebral game based on moving, passing the ball, etc. Pau plays a very cerebral game. He's got 5+ very effective years left. Hope this clears up my statements.

jopatmc is offline Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
jopatmc
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
Where would he play then? I like what Pekovic brings to the table. He is the Serbian Bulldozer or Bulldog. He brings grit and toughness.

Not worth answering.