1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale vs. Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Would Adelman have played the bench crucial minutes during the 4th quarter like last night and tonight?

Would Adelman ever give Parsons a chance in the starting lineup?

Would Adelman have this team at 16-11?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Adelman is still the better coach

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I really hope we beat Minny when they come to town.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2010-11: 43-39
    2009-10: 16-11, 17-11, 20-13, 24-18, 27-22,

We're only 5 games over .500, it would be silly to think Adelman couldn't manage or get near that mark, while we do have a slew of tougher opponents coming.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2010_games.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2011_games.html

5. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Adelman is one of the great coaches I've ever seen. But, McHale was the change this team needed.

1 person likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well considering the Wolves "have more talent and have passed us by", I think its pretty easy to tell Mchale is the better coach so far, at least when you compare Mchale to the "current" 80 year old Adelman, not the "in his prime" HOF coach Adelman.

As far as this roster is concerned though, there's no doubt in my mind getting Mchale was the better choice. Adelman struggled with juggling lineups last year, he doesn't know who to play and ended up making lineups before the game and would stick with them no matter what. Also, a few of the guys on the roster right now lack focus, and as we've seen with RA he tends to banish people who don't get his offense. Hill and Dalembert have been instrumental to our record thus far, I doubt they would have played as well under RA.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets team is basically the same team last year with some new additions in Samuel and Parsons.

Rick Adelman inherited a team that hasn't been together that long.

Also their point guard is a rookie and ours has been with our team for awhile.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

why there always has to be A versus B?
    Adelman did well under circumstances, so will McHale..... he will play more small ball.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Say that all you want, but clearly things have changed due to coaching. Scola and Martin's numbers have fallen off, they were Adelman's leaders yet this team has won 59% of it's games instead of 52% from last year. That's called improved coaching.

Adelman was good, but not for this team.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

yeah, that's right, I just put it to the tinman.

11. Burko

Burko Member

Sometimes a different coach can have different results with the same set of players.

Better coaching or more suited to the players you have is kind of subjective.

12. dd89

dd89 Member

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Instead of just better or worse, let's discuss how they are different.

McHale definitely holds his players more accountable 'every single night', especially on the defensive end, and wants his players to contribute in every way possible. He's also more willing to be flexible with his line-ups, rotations and nightly minute distributions.

RA seems to have better set rotations, and doesn't hold predominately offense only players (Martin and Chase) as accountable on the defensive end or to ake plays for others. I think some lack of fire and lethargy set in as a result.

X&O wise, RA is definitely better on offense, but McHale has the team playing a more balanced game between O & D.

Both coaches, however, seem pretty awful at creating a shot for their players in last minute plays.

I think the sense from the players interviews this and last year is that both coaches are highly respected and regarded, and my personal view is that McHale is probably a better fit for what the Rockets want to do going forward.

But contrary to DD's views, I see no signs that McHale is a just an 'yes' man. He may fit better with DM's thinkings, but he's made his own decisions on player rotations, minutes and who gets to play and why, and this is rooted in his Celtics days/ways. But things are working out, I think our 'assets' values are rising under McHale, because he rewards players that are playing better on the night with minutes, instills confidence in the players, and everybody looks better as a result (everybody except T-Will and Thabeet of course).

Any more?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think with this team, adelman would have 2 more wins and mchale would have 3 more losses in minny. If you took lowry and put him out for the yr after game 3 and took martin out for like 15 games after 4 games, what would the rockets record be? That's what happened once yao went out and brooks went down.

15. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I really don't think Adelman would have achieved any of the above.

16. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

you know, i was JUST thinking about something on the lines of this thread.

I do recall McHale wanting us to get down and dirty with it. That is, the Rockets' reputation for the last couple seasons has been pretty consistent. Hard working? Most nights. Blue collar guys? Sure. A little bit soft? Unfortunately, yes.

Let us not forget, McHale was known to be a little dirty back in the day himself. Am I endorsing or promoting dirty play? Absolutely not. But look at the Texans' this year. They started getting called dirty by a bunch of other teams, but hey you're only dirty when you win, right?

So to make a point, I think we might be a bit more "up in your face" this year, as opposed to the past. I can dig it.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

When Kevin Love uses a Rocket player's face as a door mat, it's down and dirty. However, it's not the type of "down and dirty" that I want out of the Rockets. I expect less bullying by other teams and more bullying by the Rockets.

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Right, and we were getting down and dirty in that game. I believe in a way we we’re “doing” a bit of bullying, which in turn acted as a catalyst for K Love to go ape shyt with it. I mean I don't know if that's the case or not. Who knows what the hell actually goes down on the floor if you're not there.

But, maybe it's not bullying if you don’t get caught?

What momma don't know can't hurt her.

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You guys are the most bias idiot fans ever. Mchale's doin a good job I'll admit this though im not a fan. But Adelman's coaching was on another level last year. Please remember Yao & Brooks went down and EVERYBODY thought we were done. Couple that with a 6'6 starting center and Chase's horrible slump & more horrible defensive lapses. Yet Adelman still managed a winning record. It's no comparison. Close thread

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Too bad we dont have Adlemans offense and McHales defense .....