ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner


Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Dentists on here?
Tags:  insurance, schedule Tags
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #61
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rox1 View Post
I want to thank you Rezdawg for the amazing work today. Like many other people, I dislike going to the dentist but your practice was definitely top notch and made me feel very comfortable. Thank you and I will be seeing you again in a couple of weeks.

Guys, if you need some dental work I would definitely recommend Dr. Sanjar.
Thank you for the words...Im glad I could help. If you have any questions until I see you next, just hit me up.
 
Sponsored Link
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #62
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy_Bebop View Post
Dental X-Rays May Be Linked with Brain Tumors

Ok I don't get it. I know they place a lead apron around you chest when they scan you. Why aren't there one made to wrap around your head leaving only your teeth area exposed?
Im glad you brought this up...this research has been makings its rounds around the dental circle. I'd like to clear some things up regarding, not only the article, but dental x-rays in general.

To basically sum up the article...it makes no sense. Let me explain. The author of the article you posted conveniently left out one major point of confusion. Basically, he states that bitewing x-rays cause brain tumors. That's a fair assessment. For those that dont know, bitewing x-rays are the ones you get when you go in for your 6 month recall appointment. They are the ones that have been pictured in the article (but upside down).

What this article doesnt say is that, in the same research done, there was no link between full mouth x-rays and brain tumors. How can this make any sense? Full mouth x-rays are bitewing x-rays, plus 8 periapical x-rays plus 6 anterior x-rays.

In other words, they link 4 x-rays to brain tumors...yet there is no link between 18 x-rays and brain tumors. There is something obviously wrong with the findings.

Now, as far as x-rays are concerned. There have been major improvements in radiation compared to 20+ years ago. I use digital x-rays at my practice. The amount of radiation you get from one of my x-rays is so miniscule that it should have almost no impact at all. In fact, you could get 25 years worth of x-rays and that would equal standing outside for 1 year, as far as exposure is concerned. Throw in the fact that we have cell phones, we travel in planes, etc... and the gap widens to the point where you could get a life time of x-rays and you still dont get the radiation we receive in one year of living.

Also, we can compare a dental x-ray to a CT Scan of a vital organ...the CT scan will have about 1500 times more radiation than a digital dental x-ray. In other words, you can have close to 200 years worth of dental x-rays to equal 1 CT scan of your heart.

I would hope anyone's dentist has upgraded to digital x-rays...if they have, the amount of radiation received is not anything to be concerned about.
 
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #63
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotballa View Post
Question for Rezedawg, what are your feelings about bridges? I had bridge work done about 10 years ago, but it popped of about 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately, this was right after I got laid off so I didn't have any dental insurance to go back and get it recemented. Personally, I would never ever have had it done had I known the full extent of what bridgework entails, namely the shaving down of the two surrounding teeth. I feel that this is counter productive to anyone who wants to retain their own natural teeth for as long as possible. I have yet to go back to get the bridge recemented due to time and financial constraints.
I understand your concerns about bridges...they are valid. However, there is more to the picture. Lets take any mouth that has a missing tooth, with teeth present in front and behind the missing space. We have the option to either fill that space or not fill that space.

Filling the space has 3 options, in order from best to worst:
1) Dental Implant
2) Bridge
3) Removable Partial Denture

Pricing is an important factor here. The dental implant is the best option, but it will run you at least $5000. The bridge is the next best option and will run about $2500-$3000. Finally, the partial denture is an option, and will run about $1200-$1500. I would only recommend a partial denture if there are multiple missing teeth throughout the mouth.

If one cannot afford the dental implant, I would most definitely recommend a bridge. Yes, it's not ideal to shave down two teeth to fill up a space, but it is much better than the alternative (which I will get to in a bit). However, in more cases than not, you will see that at least one of the two teeth that needs to be shaved down has some sort of decay or problem anyways, so its not always the case to have to shave down two innocent teeth.

Now, if no treatment is done, the alternative is to leave the space there. Leaving the space there will eventually cost the patient much more than the cost of the bridge and the shaving of two teeth to place the bridge. What happens is that the teeth naturally move towards the empty space in the mouth. You will see that the tooth in front, over time, will start shifting backwards...the tooth in the back will start tilting forward...and the tooth opposing the missing tooth will start to slowly grow out. The bite on that side of the mouth will shift, causing trouble to the other side of the mouth. Its a snowball effect and the patient will end up paying for multiple procedures, such as orthodontics, extractions, crowns, gum surgery, etc... to fix problems that could arise.

Is a bridge an ideal form of treatment? No...but is it better than not having anything done? 100% yes.

In your case, you have teeth that were shaved down, but are exposed bc they are no longer covered by the bridge...so I would definitely recommend taking care of them. However, my guess is that your bridge will no longer fit, so recementing them is probably not an option if it has been two years. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #64
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNate View Post
Doc,
with invisalign (sp?), is it for everyone? Or does the severity of the alignment problem matter? I'm 26 so I'm gonna pass on braces but i fear i won't be approved for invisalign..
Invisalign is definitely not for everyone...just depends on the bite and what tooth movements need to be made. Your general dentist should be able to give you a clear picture. If you happen to have pictures of your teeth or models of your teeth, you can email me and I will give you my thoughts.
 
hotballa is offline Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #65
hotballa
Contributing Member
hotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the pointshotballa is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,489
Member: #10072
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezdawg View Post
I understand your concerns about bridges...they are valid. However, there is more to the picture. Lets take any mouth that has a missing tooth, with teeth present in front and behind the missing space. We have the option to either fill that space or not fill that space.

Filling the space has 3 options, in order from best to worst:
1) Dental Implant
2) Bridge
3) Removable Partial Denture

Pricing is an important factor here. The dental implant is the best option, but it will run you at least $5000. The bridge is the next best option and will run about $2500-$3000. Finally, the partial denture is an option, and will run about $1200-$1500. I would only recommend a partial denture if there are multiple missing teeth throughout the mouth.

If one cannot afford the dental implant, I would most definitely recommend a bridge. Yes, it's not ideal to shave down two teeth to fill up a space, but it is much better than the alternative (which I will get to in a bit). However, in more cases than not, you will see that at least one of the two teeth that needs to be shaved down has some sort of decay or problem anyways, so its not always the case to have to shave down two innocent teeth.

Now, if no treatment is done, the alternative is to leave the space there. Leaving the space there will eventually cost the patient much more than the cost of the bridge and the shaving of two teeth to place the bridge. What happens is that the teeth naturally move towards the empty space in the mouth. You will see that the tooth in front, over time, will start shifting backwards...the tooth in the back will start tilting forward...and the tooth opposing the missing tooth will start to slowly grow out. The bite on that side of the mouth will shift, causing trouble to the other side of the mouth. Its a snowball effect and the patient will end up paying for multiple procedures, such as orthodontics, extractions, crowns, gum surgery, etc... to fix problems that could arise.

Is a bridge an ideal form of treatment? No...but is it better than not having anything done? 100% yes.

In your case, you have teeth that were shaved down, but are exposed bc they are no longer covered by the bridge...so I would definitely recommend taking care of them. However, my guess is that your bridge will no longer fit, so recementing them is probably not an option if it has been two years. Let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks for the info brother. gonna check a dentist and hopefully the bridge is still good because i cant layout 3 grand right now. my teeth has always had gaps in it so dunno how that will affect anything in this case. thanks again

__________________
Probably the dumbest statement I have seen in a while...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.p...&postcount=761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
Some women like to be beaten. Most women actually encourage men to beat them, even though they will never admit it.
 
Pull_Up_3 is offline Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
Pull_Up_3
Member
Pull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,015
Member: #44820
    Reply With Quote
fuk i just bumped the other thread without seeing this one. i need a deep cleaning but is expensive as hell any deal rez? i have insurance as well but whatevers cheaper

__________________
Dirk=GOAT
 
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #67
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull_Up_3 View Post
fuk i just bumped the other thread without seeing this one. i need a deep cleaning but is expensive as hell any deal rez? i have insurance as well but whatevers cheaper
As always, clutchfans get special treatment...our office does each quad for $225, but since its 25% off, it would come out to about $168.75 per quadrant. I would do an exam at no charge to make sure you would actually need the deep cleaning.

Also, we could check to see what your insurance charges. It doesnt make sense for you to pay more than without insurance.

Last edited by rezdawg; 04-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
 
Pull_Up_3 is offline Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #68
Pull_Up_3
Member
Pull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,015
Member: #44820
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezdawg View Post
As always, clutchfans get special treatment...our office does each quad for $225, but since its 25% off, it would come out to about $168.75 per quadrant. I would do an exam at no charge to make sure you would actually need the deep cleaning.

Also, we could check to see what your insurance charges. It doesnt make sense for you to pay more than without insurance.
well perio scaling is the same as deep cleaning no? fuk thats a lot lol

well im getting my xray copies monday

__________________
Dirk=GOAT
 
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #69
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull_Up_3 View Post
well perio scaling is the same as deep cleaning no? fuk thats a lot lol

well im getting my xray copies monday
Haha, no, it's different. Deep cleaning requires numbing everything and really digging down there to clean everything out. Yeah, it's a very expensive procedure. If you get copies of the X-rays, you can email me or take a photo and email me, and I can give you my thoughts if you want.
 
Pull_Up_3 is offline Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #70
Pull_Up_3
Member
Pull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePull_Up_3 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,015
Member: #44820
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezdawg View Post
Haha, no, it's different. Deep cleaning requires numbing everything and really digging down there to clean everything out. Yeah, it's a very expensive procedure. If you get copies of the X-rays, you can email me or take a photo and email me, and I can give you my thoughts if you want.
well on the treatment sheet it said i needed perio scaling maybe thats why its more expensive i guess. i will be picking up the copies monday ill email u then.

__________________
Dirk=GOAT
 
rezdawg is offline Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #71
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Posts: 14,434
Member: #1294
    Reply With Quote
Dr. Funk24...I tried emailing you back through the board, but its not going through. You can email me at westhoustondentistry@gmail.com so that I know where to send my message to. Thanks.
 
VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #72
VanityHalfBlack
Member
VanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Posts: 11,617
Member: #42029
    Reply With Quote
The pain is unbearable I seriously need a tooth extraction... Rezdawg I'll be seeing you today for appt at 1pm...
 
timbreaux is offline Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #73
timbreaux
Rookie
timbreaux is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Member: #57867
    Reply With Quote
Tried making a thread but can't since I am new lol -

I went to the dentist this morning and he told me I needed a filling on a tooth. I look at the proposed treatment plan and it says the fee is $349 for a "resin three surfaces, posterior." I am no dental expert but doesn't this seem high? The plan says that my insurance will cover $209 dollars so my total out of pocket will be $139. I think the last time I got a filling which was like 2 years ago was for 75 bucks after insurance.

I am fine with paying as long as I am not being swindled. Please advise!
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Dentists yaoluv BBS Hangout 14 06-10-2009 07:02 PM
Dentists Rocketman95 BBS Hangout 57 08-14-2008 11:00 AM
[dentists] Any recommendations? El Toro BBS Hangout 8 10-10-2005 04:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.