ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Sports > Other Sports

Tigers sign Prince Fielder: 9ys, $214MM
Tags:  2012, baseball, mlb, prince fielder, scott boras, tigers Tags
NIKEstrad is offline Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
NIKEstrad
Contributing Member
NIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
yeah, they've had just an awful offseason.
It's almost like they had to give up 50 years of history in the National League...

Given their ties to Bud Selig, is this proof that karma exists?

"They gave me some medicine to make everything go away. I was not worried, not at all. I just wanted to make sure I was feeling good. The doctors, they care about me. Gave me a little lollipop, a little candy, some gum and some coloring books...I had a lot of fun playing the maze today." -- Ron Artest on going to the doctor for a stomach virus before Game 6 v. LA

Sponsored Link
juicystream is offline Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
juicystream
Contributing Member
juicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
They are both overpaid, but I'd take Fielder's contract over Pujols simply because of their ages. At the end of their contracts, Pujols will be 42 while Fielder will be 37.
I agree. Not to mention Pujols actually got way more than just the money along with the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Langhi View Post
I'll take pujols. At least you know he aint going to become a fat ass. I don't know why any athlete picks over baseball over any other sport. You have the longest career, the best contracts, and most power union in the world.
Maybe because the vast majority of baseball players spend their entire careers making peanuts in the minor leagues. For the star players, they are better off, but for everyone else? Not so much. I think Drew Henson would have been better off financially choosing football over baseball.

Cannonball is online now Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Cannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharocks View Post
Most of the multi-sport athletes who are good enough do choose baseball. But it's the most difficult skill-wise, it has a multi-tiered minor league system that weeds out lesser players, and you absolutely have to pick it up early.
This. A lot of guys who choose baseball never make it to the majors. At least if you get drafted in Football or Basketball, you have your rookie contract to fall back on, even if you're a total bust. Aside from signing bonuses, minor league baseball players get paid ****.

ubigred is offline Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
ubigred
Contributing Member
ubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicystream View Post
I agree. Not to mention Pujols actually got way more than just the money along with the deal.

Maybe because the vast majority of baseball players spend their entire careers making peanuts in the minor leagues. For the star players, they are better off, but for everyone else? Not so much. I think Drew Henson would have been better off financially choosing football over baseball.
Like what?

Fyreball is online now Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
Fyreball
Contributing Member
Fyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39843
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEKO_HTOWN View Post
I thought he hated his dad too? I wonder if their relationship changed because Detriot seems like a strange place to get out of your dad's shadow.
Nope. He still hates his dad. But money ultimately spoke, and I'm guessing for $24mm a year, you'd probably be willing to let bygones be bygones as well. I know I would. Haha.

juicystream is offline Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
juicystream
Contributing Member
juicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubigred View Post
Like what?
In addition to his salary, the Los Angeles Angels are giving the slugger four season tickets to home games over the next decade.

Other perks include:

• A hotel suite on road trips.

• A luxury suite at the ballpark for the Pujols Foundation, his charitable group, for 10 home games a year.

• The right to buy a luxury suite between first base and third base for all home games.

The Angels' deal was so complicated that it includes three separate agreements: His playing contract, a marketing deal and an agreement to enter a 10-year, personal-services agreement following the playing contract's expiration or Pujols' retirement, whichever is later. That will pay $1 million annually, but because it is contingent on Pujols actually working for the team, it is not considered guaranteed money for the purposes of baseball's luxury tax.

There also is a marketing agreement that will pay Pujols for milestone accomplishments. The player will receive $3 million for 3,000 hits and $7 million for a record 763rd home run. He currently has 2,073 hits and 445 home runs.

Including all three agreements, Pujols could make up to $268.75 million over 20 years.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...-240m-10-years

ubigred is offline Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
ubigred
Contributing Member
ubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicystream View Post
In addition to his salary, the Los Angeles Angels are giving the slugger four season tickets to home games over the next decade.

Other perks include:

A hotel suite on road trips.

A luxury suite at the ballpark for the Pujols Foundation, his charitable group, for 10 home games a year.

The right to buy a luxury suite between first base and third base for all home games.

The Angels' deal was so complicated that it includes three separate agreements: His playing contract, a marketing deal and an agreement to enter a 10-year, personal-services agreement following the playing contract's expiration or Pujols' retirement, whichever is later. That will pay $1 million annually, but because it is contingent on Pujols actually working for the team, it is not considered guaranteed money for the purposes of baseball's luxury tax.

There also is a marketing agreement that will pay Pujols for milestone accomplishments. The player will receive $3 million for 3,000 hits and $7 million for a record 763rd home run. He currently has 2,073 hits and 445 home runs.

Including all three agreements, Pujols could make up to $268.75 million over 20 years.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...-240m-10-years
sigh...education is overrated.