1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What EVIDENCE do we have that Morey is doing a great/good job?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

This is not bashing Morey, I'm seeking factual information (since our whole team is based on moneyball - stats) on why some of you feel Morey is doing a good job as a GM of the Houston Rockets?

Half (just a guess) of the NBA lives here in the offseason and we can't convince anyone to join the Rockets? I know I'm tired of hearing every superstar flying to Houston to work with Dream (make Dream the GM, I know, this would be a pay cut for him).

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cap room, flexibility and assets for the cancerous Tmac contract. And his drafts have netted some really good rotational players.

Brooks
    CBud
    PPatterson

While his trades have been mixed, he had a big winner in Lowry.

He is doing a good job, would give him a solid "B"

DD

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This team was built around Yao and Tracy, and remained respectable in a tough conference when both of those guys went down. That's enough evidence for me, frankly.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Look at any team over the last three years and compare that to the team in '04-'05 or '05-'06.

Exclude Yao and Tracy from those judgments because he was not here to acquire them. But you can't tell me the rest of the roster is not better from bottom to top.

Rafer, David Wesley, Jim Jackson, Juwan Howard, Luther Head, Stromile Swift, etc.

vs.

Scola, Lowry, Landry, Artest, Brooks, Patterson

He's arguably even put together the best Rockets team of the decade, in 2009, only to have it come shattering down due to injury. The '04-'05 team is up there too, but that was only due to Tracy and Yao both being dominant. I just can't hold it against Morey that superstars basically get to handpick their destinations AND he has an owner that won't let us rebuild.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ask your mom.

DD

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

The bottom line, playoff appearances, not impressive. I think the "word is out" on him so far as other GM's are concerned. The Rockets seem isolated. Moneyball was always suspect as a viable road to a championship. Also,I have always suspected that Les wants to do just enough to entertain the fans without going all out. I believe Morey was brought in to avoid the ridiculous contracts of the former era. It all equals mediocrity. I may be wrong, but there is something amiss with the overall picture, even if I can't pinpoint it.

1 person likes this.
  7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Ok, shouldn't we expect more than what we have received thus far? The Yao and Tmac injuries are totally unknowns. But to keep waiting on them and not making immediate changes I think has hurt us for years to come.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't really ask this question without noting that only Stern stopped Morey from getting Pau Gasol...and it was pretty evident Nene was going to sign afterwards.

If you like that trade, then that was EVIDENCE of Morey's ability to trade. If you don't,then I suppose you can say it is not evidence.

9. Tip

Tip Member

Ditto what DieHard said. And there is NO WAY half of the NBA lives in Htown. That is just ridiculous.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He's done a great job actually if you aren't an expecting a championship team falling from the skies. He really hasn't done anything that would hurt the team, the Ariza signing was questionable, but he flipped him into Lee, the Miller Signing was questionable, but he is shipped off too.

People don't realize how much losing two core players can hurt you and how great of job morey has done to keep this team from nosediving to the worst team in the league. You pick any team in the NBA right now, take out their two best players, they wouldn't win 42 games. You can't expect Morey to bounce from that straight to a championship in a year, it's just not realistic.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

BS. First of all "Money ball" or Analytics based evaluation won Dallas a ring.

Secondly, Even with the WORST superstar duo in the league (because of Injuries) Morey managed to work around no cap space and a God awful supporting cast and land talented young players.

We have Lowry, Dragic, Martin, Scola and NONE of those were drafted by us. All came through trades for very little.

If you can't pinpoint it, it's because it doesn't exist.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think he's done a bad job with the tools he's been given (and not given). However, I don't think the idol worship towards him here is anywhere near warranted.

We can argue about the roster all we want. The bottom line is that this franchise has only won 1 playoff series in the last 13 years. That is totally unacceptable. And as long as it's the case, I don't think anyone in the organization is doing a "good job."

3 people like this.
  13. dharocks

It's as if some people actually WANT to return to the idiocy of making former players/coaches GMs, which the rest of the league is finally moving away from.

1 person likes this.
  14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Who has done a better job retooling a team that loses two max players to injuries? Besides, there are only two cities in the country that can attract star free agents without the need for other star free agents on the roster: New York and Los Angeles.

Otherwise, you need to have a star player on your team and be in a position to push for a championship. Morey knows that you don't build dynasties through free agency. He's trying to improve the team through trade and the season hasn't even started yet. Give it time. If Morey can't pull a blockbuster trade by the All-Star break, he'll probably blow up the team for picks and young upside.

15. dharocks

Kind of a silly argument given that the one playoff series win was with Morey as the GM, and that he wasn't with the organization from 1997-2006.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't even get wwhat this means - getting good players and not overpaying for them is "suspect"? So just overpay for bad players?

1 person likes this.
  17. ima_drummer2k

Should have done this 3 years ago. Probably not up to Morey, though.

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I can't freaking wait for the season to start so we can talk about something else.

1 person likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

That's why I said "anyone" not just Morey.

20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

1) Has his two best players he is building around with max contracts and has both of them fall apart.

2) Manages to restructure the team despite those two max contracts and play winning basketball in the process ( if Rox in east, 5 or 6 seed both years)

3) Makes solid Drafts and trades.

4) Knows Rockets need a Superstar in order to get another Superstar to join him here and has Rockets in position to move. Knows no free agent is going to make the jump from a team where they are the star to a team like the Rox where they will still be the only star. He needs to get a star here for the 'Team Up" scenario to work here and don't forget we just lost two stars and Yao with absolutely no compensation! He was able to turn T-Mac into a nice haul.

5) Had Gasol, Cap space for Nene, and cap space in 2012 for a 3rd star to join with Lowry before Stern blew him out of the water

Overall, I would agree with DD's grade of a solid B. If Gasol/Nene deal is not "Sterned", my grade would be A- pending who the 3rd star he would go after next year