1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tabak takes LESS MONEY to play in Europe!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Aug 16, 2001.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

08/16-TIRED OF SITTING- Pacers reserve center Zan Tabak passed on a guaranteed NBA deal worth over a million dollars a season, to accept an $800,000 annual deal in Spain. When the announcement of his decision was made, it came as a shock to the Pacers, especially considering they offered more money. Tabak's logic was he was only a reserve in Indiana, where in Spain he could be a focal point of the team. Tabak departure leaves the Pacers one big man short, but Donnie Walsh the Pacers president of basketball operations says he is in no rush to make a move, and while they are exploring a number of options, he is not ready to make a bad move to fill a need. Walsh has not gotten an official word from free agent big man Sam Perkins, but is expected to get a decision from Big Smooth in the next few weeks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

2. red

red Contributing Member

sweet...the demise of another eastern team...

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well Tabak had a nice NBA career, I hope he enjoyed it. This also pretty much guarantees that Dudley will be a Pacer.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Having Dudley and Perkins will make the Pacers a very slow moving team unless J.O'Neal continues to get major minutes at center.

5. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Nice knowing him.

I hope his agent explained that this means he'll never play in the NBA again.

6. Heath

Heath Member

So this means that even if he is good enough to play in the NBA he would not be considered because he prefered to play in europe? How sound is that? :rolleyes:

7. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Nah, its just that once out of sight, your out of mind. He'd gain more exposure playing for the Pacers, probably won't get much attention playing in Spain unless he flat out dominates the league. And even then, scouts will probably pay attention to the younger players instead. I think he's making a bad career move.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I don't see how the loss of depth at 5 seriously impacts the Pacers. Not saying that I expect them to kick butt or anything, but they just lost Zan Tabak, not Jermaine O'Neal.

9. Band Geek Mobster

Yeah but how many championship rings does Jermaine O'Neal, Reggie Miller, and Jalen Rose have?

Now how many does Zan Tabak have?

That's what I thought...;)