1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even if lockout is lifted, is anyone excited about our Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2011.

?

I wish Hakeem was back....

1. Yes, CHAMPIONSHIP!

33 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. Yes, they're going to average like last year, but they're my Rockets!

194 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. No, no center or any upgrades, we're not going anywhere.

99 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. No, I'm more of a cricket/rugby/Harry Potter fan.

16 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I would love to watch some basketball again, but not really thrilled about this season's squad.

I really hope they can get one of the FAs we need to clog up the middle from the list below, but not very optimistic that Les is going to open up the pocket book for them:

Tyson Chandler, Dallas Mavericks – Unrestricted
    Nene, Denver Nuggets – Unrestricted
    Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies – Restricted ($4.5 million Qualifying Offer)
    DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Samuel Dalembert, Sacramento Kings – Unrestricted
    Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia 76ers – Restricted ($4.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jeff Foster, Indiana Pacers – Unrestricted
    Kurt Thomas, Chicago Bulls – Unrestricted
    Aaron Gray – Unrestricted
    Joel Przybilla – Unrestricted
    Theo Ratliff – Unrestricted

There are others, but I think these are the guys we should be going after.

I'll still watch them under the McHale regime to see what he can do to turn the squad around, but I think it's going to be another ho-hum year.

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Of course. I'm not a fan of the Rockets for their wins or losses. I'm a fan because I enjoy watching the process of a team getting to become successful. Whether we tank, become average or win a championship I will enjoy the process.

It's like life. You don't just get to where you want to be over night and then wake up there wondering what next. You value the journey. To me, the journey of life is more exciting than the destination.

I see basketball like that. It brings me joy debating on how to upgrade our team. To debate whether Player A will make it or not and why. To debate why one small move may lead to a huge move. The illusion of being able to consolidate our talent for that one piece that makes our team the team to beat.

It's such an exciting process. I feel like this will be our second year in a row where Morey has an opportunity to make something happen. He has more room to do things than last because of the new coaching staff. I'm just as excited to see what Morey does to put us back into contention as I am excited to watch our team.

Ultimately it's about winning. But, the process to get there is an exciting one.

7 people like this.
  3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Don't count on it.

We are going to be major players for FA's or to make trades but ultimately fall short. We will hear stories that we had a deal in place but either we were asking for too much or they were and the deal fell through at the last minute. We will continue to start Hayes at Center.

Repeat the cycle.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great post, CjTaylorpt.

However, I personally don't support tanking in the least. Maybe our team won't win the championship but I prefer watching a regular season game and never knowing if my team is going to win or lose. I want to turn on the TV and assume that, although we're the underdog, we have a chance to win any game. That's what makes the season exciting for me. I prefer the '10-11 Rockets over the 2011 Astros, for example.

#4 napalm06, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Sorry but isn't it true though? Just stating facts.

Every year it's the same. Tyson Chandler, we could have gotten him for peanuts, hell, we could have traded Brooks while his value was at an all time high, but traded Brooks for what? Dragic and a worthless pick? Bosh, we were a sleeper for him. Didn't happen. Deron Williams, we had a deal in place but got shut out by NJ. Carmelo, had the pieces for a blockbuster, but Morey overvalued our talent. Hell, we couldn't even pry Andres Biedrens from the Warriors.

6. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

The Morris twins are training with Shawn Kemp I am thinking CHAMPIONSHIP!

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

where's the option of:

Yes, excited about seeing the development of the young players and hoping for a someone to turn into a star?

that's my pick.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My bad, I posted at the same time as you. I was responding to cjtaylorpt's post

As for your take... yeah it's a little on the cynical side but we might as well be cynical until proven otherwise, right? :p

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

As constructed, I have my doubts. I will still follow them to see the development of Lowry, Morris, and others. But I won't be extremely excited.

OTOH, that can quickly change if the make a move in either direction. Whether it's tanking or getting an impact player. Either way I'll really get into it. I wouldn't mind even if we trade some of our vets and, to paraphrase Kubiak, have those kids battle out there.

10. thejav

thejav Member

What's wrong with cricket??

11. vick

vick Member

I am thinking Kemp turned into a crackhead, with a lot of kids

12. Rockets34Legend

Wait for my thread in 10 years. :)

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know how many of you naysayers feel, but i see this team, as constructed, making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Possibly further.

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I will always follow and hope, but I'm not optimistic.

15. Rockets34Legend

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Very.;)

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given our miediocre roster, my confidence in Adelman to make a squad competitive was just about the only thing they kept my hopes up. I don't have any hope McHale can do it. I had hope for awhile that Morey could pull off a big move for a new franchise player, but he's gone a couple cycles now without delivering, while stubbornly insisting that he can (eventually) build a contender without a high lotto pick. And in the meantime, he's just shuffled the deck chairs.

So, no, not looking forward to it. The best hope I see is if McHale is a giant disaster, which is something I would rather not have to watch.

1 person likes this.
  18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Maybe that's why Morey hired McFail? So they can tank for the 2012 draft.

No way a respectable coach like Adelman would ever agree to that kind of philosophy, that's why he was canned.

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

im always excited about the rockets...

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Excited about them? I'm trying to remember most of them...