1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember 9/11/01: Where were you that day?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PanchoVilla3504, Sep 10, 2011.

1. PanchoVilla3504

I was a freshman in high school at the time. I remember walking into the lunch room and it being damn near empty. I sat down with some friends and asked wtf was going on and they said there was a terrorist attack in New York and everyones parents picked up their kids... except for our parents lol. Well we went back to the classroom and watched the news the rest of the day.

Exciting next year in high school since they opened a new school, George Bush High School... Remember hearing possible bomb threats to the school.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Just started College, was at work on that day cleaning bumper boats and mini golf courses in Westford, Mass....

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

10th grade Nimitz high school, right after lunch

4. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Sophomore in high school, walked into Health and hearing some of the kids talking about it and how some parents were freaking out thinking that somehow Cy-Fair High School would be the next target.....I didn't grasp the whole situation until coming home that afternoon and seeing the news.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was on my way to San Jac south. I remember that I was listening to a tape in my car (my car at the time still had a tape deck and the CD player was broken) on the way to school. I get close to the interchange from the tollway to I-45 south when the tape starts screwing up so I eject it and just listen to the radio. It took me about 30 seconds to realize something was even going on, but that's were I was when I first heard about it, on the interchange from the tollway to I-45.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I was working in downtown Houston, on the 32nd floor of a building. Soon after the 2nd plane hit most people said F this and got the hell out of there. I remember people freaking out on the streets of downtown, not knowing if something was headed our way.

I went home and had lunch at Don'Key with my wife and a friend of ours. After that went back to our apartment and watched the news the rest of the day.

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I was in my 1st period class in 7th grade when I first heard of it. I remember teachers letting students watch on tv, but all of mine decided to keep teaching even though we had half of the students missing. I didnt really get a chance to see what had happened until I got home from school.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I was waking up around 9am. I think by that time, one or both of the towers went down.

I was going to Smackdown! that night.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

A week into my 1st full-time job after graduating college 4 months before. Going to work in the morning and hear it on the radio. Found out they closed off my workplace, so I turned around, went back home, and watched the rest of it on the tube.

10. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I was really excited that day because I had tickets to WWF Smackdown, I remember kids getting in middle school getting picked up by their parents and I was thinking what the hell is going on. Came home ready for some wrestling only to find out America was under attack but hey at least I get to see The Rock whop some candy ass, nope SmackDown was cancelled.

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Did you go on Thursday when they had the Live show?

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I was driving into work listening to 740AM when it was still news. First tower was already down and while driving in the second one got hit. Crazy stuff. The rest of the day was just watching the news in the break room.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In the shower before work, heard Eddy "The Boner" Sanchez on KLOL 101 make light of a plane in the Trade Center. Didn't really pay much attention to it until I walked into work and saw everyone around the TV. They looked like Zombies.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Third year in college. I was watching SportsCenter before heading into class and it was interrupted by a live anchor saying to tune into ABC for more information on the WTC accident. I tuned in just in time to see the second plane hit. I skipped class that day and was glued to the TV.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I was 23 living in Spanish Harlem, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. my roommate called me from his girlfriend's apartment while another buddy was crashed out on our couch. roommates gf was serving jury duty in Lower Manhattan. the landline answering machine message woke us both up but not with concern yet, but more out of curiosity.

at first it was "dudes get a load of this nut who flew his plane into one of the Twin Towers!" but then it quickly changed, as did the course of history as we know it...

Life stopped for two straight days in New York that year. I watched all the footage from a neighbor's TV like the rest of America, hopeless and fearful.

there was not a cop, EMS, or firefighter in sight. there were rampant false reports of lootings and shootings in the neighborhood, on top of confusion in the skies above the United States of America.

I remember the hopeless feelings of the kids I worked with at the afterschool program, the feeling that I had when my boss told me one of my coworkers' brother went down on Flight 93, and through the eyes of elementary children; the fear of another imminent attack. I dropped most of my college courses that semester.

I also remember the lingering sight and smell of toxic air from the rooftop of my building, nearly 5 miles north of the disaster site.

but mostly , I remember the feeling of solidarity, that New York City, and America endured... The 2001 World Series that the Yankees ultimately lost helped NY cope.

I keep thinking how different life was 10 years ago- no twitter, myspace or facebook updates, people were barely even text messaging then. I remember folks calling loved ones from underneath the rubble, triangulating cell phone signals.

I remember the hate crimes committed against Muslims and Sikhs in the days after 9/11, the veiled sense of patriotism, the wild conspiracy theories...

16. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

So was I. Had the day off work and was sleeping in. Got woken up just in time to see the second plane go in. Immediately took out a uniform (was doing security at the time) and got ready to go to work since I knew I was going to get called in. Got out of the shower just in time to see the south tower go down. Was a very nerve wracking day at work.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sleeping late in my hovel at Cougar Place after another all night online session at the Social Work Building. Knew I was late for Reitenga's Accounting Information Systems class and turned on the clock radio to catch a little John, Lance and awkward Russ, but heard some British guy saying that the United States "clearly wouldn't stand for this attack, on Washington and New York."

Ironically enough, I was instantly hoping it was a terrorist attack, especially after that goofy-ass Chinese plane collision a few months earlier. So after a couple of Trailer Wheel & Frame and Landmark Chevrolet spots, the Sporting News Flash came on and talked about a couple of planes flying into some buildings in those two cities; which then reminded me of Columbine because I believe that was Klebold's and Harris's planned exit strategy.

Anyways, got up went to Dan Jones' Risk Management class, then spent the next few hours in the RICS lab looking at video clips on CNN and that night reading the funniest articles the Onion has ever written.

18. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I was sleeping at that time when my dad knocked went to my room and woke me up. He said that I have to watch something and so, dizzy as I was, I went to my parents' room and saw in their tube planes crashing to the twin towers. At first I thought it was from a movie but when it was damn reality I was like 'Oh *****, this is war'. I was nervous at that time and I basically had no sleep that day.

19. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

8th grade, 2nd period algebra class. intercom came on and the principal gave us a brief comment saying how everything is okay (regarding the school) and to remain where we were. i had no idea what the heck was going on but felt a bit uneasy.

20. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

lived in new york at the time, got to stay home from school. KIDS MAD?