1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Bullard expected to sign with Charlotte; also more Rudy quotes on Rice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 11, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1001901

Rockets make deal to acquire Glen Rice
    Shooter gives Rockets deep threat in deal involving Knicks, Mavs

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

A consistent rule about the Rockets: When in doubt, Rudy Tomjanovich loves shooters. There are other qualities he admires. There were many qualities he admired in Shandon Anderson. But when in doubt, he will line up behind a gunner.

Tomjanovich has long marveled at the deadeye shooting of Glen Rice. On Friday, Tomjanovich added the pure shooter's stroke to the Rockets' offense, sending Anderson to the Knicks in a three-team sign-and-trade deal to acquire Rice, who has averaged 19.5 points in his career, making 46 percent of his shots and 40 percent of his 3-pointers.

But for all the reasons the Rockets could cite for making the deal, including a contract that Anderson got from the Knicks that easily exceeded the Rockets' offer, one was most inescapable.

"In getting Glen Rice, here's a guy I coveted and this organization has coveted for a long time because he is one of the premier shooters in this league," Tomjanovich said of his fellow former Michigan forward with a sweet shooting stroke.

"We have always believed in penetration, getting the ball close to the basket, be it a post-up play, a drive or a cut. When you play that way, you have to have good shooters to keep people honest because the defense has to shift on us. We've got guys that move the defense around. And to have an efficient offense, you have to have guys who can bury the shot.

"He's a guy who I think just fits with the young, penetrating guys we have. I have a real good feeling about him."

To get Rice, a three-time All-Star, the Rockets signed Anderson to a six-year, $42 million deal and sent him with Mavericks guard Howard Eisley to the Knicks. The Mavericks will receive guard Muggsy Bogues from the Knicks.

The Rockets also acquired rookie Kyle Hill, the second-leading scorer in the nation last season for Eastern Illinois. Hill was the Mavericks' second-round pick this season, a draft pick acquired during the 2000 draft in the Dan Langhi deal.

In dealing Anderson, who was moved to forward when Cuttino Mobley became the starting shooting guard, the Rockets removed what had become an increasingly awkward fit to add a forward that should move in smoothly to their system.

"They were just going in a different direction," Anderson said. "Everyone could see it. Everyone could see I didn't fit. At first I thought I did. This year, it was real obvious. Standing around is not my game. I like to move around a lot. That's what I wasn't doing.

"I guess I got caught in the shuffle of a lot of things. It was a tough situation for Rudy to be in with so many new guys and trying to get everybody involved. I guess the guy more soft-spoken gets left out in the cold. It's disappointing that it didn't work out. But sometimes things don't. You make a change. You cut your losses and move on. There's no hard feelings toward anyone."

To make enough room for Rice, the Rockets renounced their rights to Matt Bullard, Devin Gray and Sean Colson.

Bullard, according to sources familiar with the negotiations, has been offered a $1.32 million one-year deal by the Charlotte Hornets. Although the Rockets could sign Bullard to a minimum contract, worth $1 million for a 10-year veteran, they have not been able to guarantee Bullard that there will be a roster spot left for him, and Bullard is expected to sign with Charlotte as soon as Monday.

The Rockets' next move will likely be to try to sign Norris. But like many moves this summer, that does not look as if it will be easy, even given Norris' and the team's mutual interest in seeing him return.

"Moochie is one of the top point guard free agents in the league," Norris' agent, Dan Fegan, said. "We've got some lifting to do. There have been a number of changes we'll address.

"We get all this stuff done. I believe everything will work out for Houston and everything will work out for Moochie."

With Bullard's departure and Hakeem Olajuwon's move last week to Toronto, the last player links to the Rockets championship seasons are gone. Rice becomes the only Rockets player with a championship ring, won with the 1999-2000 Lakers, and only he, Walt Williams and Kelvin Cato have ever played on playoff teams.

But though the Rockets had hoped to continue to build around last season's nucleus and draft pick Eddie Griffin, the loss of Olajuwon forced them to retool the plan and the roster.

"As of last week ... we didn't get to keep the whole team together," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "What happened in losing Dream is we lost some points. This is a good way to make up for it. It started making more sense to us, although Shandon's been a great player for us."

A 6-8, 220 forward, Rice will occupy $27.6 million of cap space over the next three seasons, although because of the signing bonus he received from the Knicks, the Rockets pay him $20.8 million. The move Friday will take up the rest of the Rockets' salary cap space, other than room saved to keep the rights to Griffin and Norris.

In his 12 seasons, Rice has missed just 52 games. His best season, 1996-97, was with the Hornets when he averaged 26.8 points and was the All-Star Game MVP, with Tomjanovich the opposing coach.

Anderson averaged 8.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists last season. He averaged 12.3 points and 4.7 rebounds in his first season with the Rockets, increasing his scoring every month. He has started every Rockets game the past two seasons and has not missed a game since 1996-97, his rookie season, a streak of 335 consecutive games played, the fifth longest active streak in the league.

Anderson made 44.6 percent of his shots, but just 27.1 percent of his 3-pointers last season.

Rice, 34, struggled to carve out a consistent niche in New York with Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston and while playing with plantar fasciitis. Though surgery was not required to repair his condition, he spent six weeks after the season in a cast. In 3 1/2 weeks since, he has reported no difficulties, though the trade is still contingent on his passing a physical. Other than in the lockout season, when Rice played 27 of 50 games, Rice has played an average of 79.4 games per season.

"We're talking about two of the most durable players you could see," Dawson said. "Shandon Anderson never missed a practice, never missed a game. He was just a delight. On the other hand, the guy that we're getting is very durable. He's played over 900 games. Although he had plantar fasciitis last year, he still played 75 games. He's a real tough guy in the same mold as Shandon. He always shows up."

Dawson said that the greater misconception, however, is that Rice is merely a shooter.

"As much film as we looked at on Glen Rice, I'll say he's a great scorer and a much better rebounder and a much better defender than people give him credit for," Dawson said.

But the shooting stroke has separated Rice from other players. The Rockets could often be a mediocre shooting team considering the sorts of open shots they had last season.

That, they believe, changed on Friday.

"The way we try to do it every year is I look at the players we have a try to devise an offensive plan that fits their skills," Tomjanovich said. "I talked to him about that. He understood. He talked about some of the things we do for our players, certain plays that fit their skills. He's excited about that.

"In the flow of the game with our penetrators -- every new guy that we get says, `We get so many open shots with this team because of the penetration.' And here's a premier shooter. To me it just makes sense."

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I like the deal. I think its going to help.

3. Fredterp

Fredterp Member

Cat, thanks for the scoop. It's about 12:30AM in the Eastern time zone. Seems like the latest scoops are coming any time of the night lately. How can a Rocket fan get any "sleep". This board is alive. Thanks again. FREDTERP

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Who can identify whats wrong with this quote?

5. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I think Bullard leaving is a mistake (I understand that we still have to many SF's)! I know the guy is one dimensional, but DAMN there were alot of games, last season, that Bullard won for us (multiple 3's). I hope Rice can take up the slack, Langhi is not ready to wear Bullard's shoes yet!!!!

HEY CRISPEE (or cap experts), the chronicle states that the Rockets only have to pay Rice about 20 million (over 3 years), since NY paid him the other money through a signing bonus (or something). That is a much better Deal than 42 million to Anderson.

6. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

This article was some good reading, but 3 quotes really struck me.

<i> "Standing around is not my game. I like to move around a lot. That's what I wasn't doing. " </i>

Sound familiar?

<i> "Moochie is one of the top point guard free agents in the league," Norris' agent, Dan Fegan, said. "We've got some lifting to do. There have been a number of changes we'll address. </i>

Ok, maybe I havent been paying much attention lately, but what is Fegan smoking? How many Free agent Points are even left anyhow?

<i> "As much film as we looked at on Glen Rice, I'll say he's a great scorer and a much better rebounder and a much better defender than people give him credit for," Dawson said. " </i>

Ok, Ive probably watched about 150 games Glenn Rice has played in, give or take a few. But Cmon CD. Glenn is that bad a defender. You know it, I know it, my grandma knows it.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sound familiar?

Sounds a lot like Quitten to me. Shandon's not a bad player when he cuts to the basket and moves without the ball, but too often he seemed content to just slide along the perimeter. The coach and the system can only take you so far-- there comes a point where you the player have to be more aggressive and assert your own game. When Shandon did this, and the staff urged him to constantly, he was successful. But he did it far too few times to warrant keeping long-term. This is just Shandon's way of keeping up his value to the Knicks and their fans. I can't imagine he blames Rudy and the system for his lack of aggression and shooting, but he's not going to go out to the media and criticize himself either.

By the way, Rice isn't a horrible defender... not good, but he's better than Walt Williams, let's put it that way. :)

8. silent j

silent j Member

Cuttino has a playoff seried under his belt as well.
    j

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Cuttino played in 4 playoff games, with pippen the gimp!

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>Rice becomes the only Rockets player with a championship ring, won with the 1999-2000 Lakers, and only he, Walt Williams and Kelvin Cato have ever played on playoff teams. </b>

Hello, Cat STARTED on a playoff team!

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Cat played as a rookie in the playoffs against the Lakers.

Mango

12. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Cat...I dont know, but when you Iso Mobley and clear 4 players of the lane, 3 of which are the non Centers to the 3 point lane, and one of those players (Either Francis or someone like Walt) being the kickout person, theres not much to do but to stand around at the 3 point line.

At very best theCat, Rice is a baby step up from Walt. :p

13. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I agree this is just plain stupid!!!! Moochie is a CBA player, that will never be more than a backup PG in the NBA. Backup PG's do not get paid 4+ million a year. Sh*****t didn't Cuttino sign for less!!!!!!!

I guarantee you that if CD & Rudy wanted Kyle Hill, then they have already made their mind on Moochie. I am sure they would rather Moochie go to training camp and fight Omar, the UT guy (?) & Hill for the backup role. I am with WILL - Feagan has struck out 2 times (with the Rockets) and now it is time for number 3!!!!! or Moochie needs to fire him, because I do not see CD wanting to deal with Feagan at all. Look at Anderson for 42 million, give me a break!!!!!

14. Isabel

Isabel Member

You know, this means Cuttino is the Rockets' veteran player now, with a total of three years on the team already.

Not only are the links to the championship years gone, but so are most of the links to the "in-between" years.

Oh well, we wanted to rebuild. :)

I'm gonna miss Big Bad Bull, though... (and Moochie, should that happen... Mooch, fire your agent!)

15. XXX

XXX Member

Wow, I still cant believe we got Rice. This is GREAT!!!

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

BULL! We gonna miss you!!! (if you leave) :(

17. Band Geek Mobster

Hey did you guys know that Cuttino has some playoff experience?

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Rockets should blackball Fegan like our good friends in Utah did. The guy is an irrational, money grubbing b*stard. Imagine if the Rockets actually signed Shandon to stay in Houston for $42 million- there would be no debate- we'd all be pissed as hell!!! Shandon's deal is very similar to Cato's. Too bad he's playing behind Houston and Sprewell....

If Fegan thinks that Moochie is worth $4 million, then let some other team pay him. It is preposterous for an agent to think that a backup PG deserves that kind of cash. Moochie brings alot of intangibles to this team, but lets not resign him just because he's tight with his teammates. Sure the guys a good floor leader, but he holds thee ball too long in the half court set, and takes way to long to set up the play. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

There are many alternatives to our backup PG spot, and we can pickup another CBA scrub just like him. Anybody heard of Horace Jenkins, high flying, slam dunking PG out of DIII William Patterson College. Don't think that he's signed with anybody yet.

This offseason has indeed been strange, and it looks like it's not even over yet, with the rumors of Jahidi Hidi Ho White. Basically we:

LOSE:
    Olajuwon
    Bullard
    Shandon
    Wizard
    maybe Moochie

GAIN:
    Griffin
    Rice
    Jahidi

Only thing left to do is find a PG to replace Moochie. Anyone know Shammond Williams' phone number?

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

how much money did we sign cuttino mobley for?

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

As a fan, Fegan is the anti-christ. But as a player, Fegan is sucessfully negotating the biggest contracts he can. Like Jim Rome said, when they say "It isn't about the money"...it is ALWAYS about the money! Fegan is our scape-goat but the player ultimately makes the final decision here.

If Moochie goes, we have a backup PG. That's why we picked up Hill from Dallas. 2nd leading scorer in the nation last year w/ 23.8 ppg. Again, he's a scorer. Rudy loves his scorers. Looks like the writing is on the wall for Moochie. Sorry to see ya go but...

I wish we could keep Bull, however. He's cheap. You can't have enough 3pt shooters in 4th Q of close games. But I suppose that is a luxery.

-krosfyah

#20 krosfyah, Aug 11, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2001