1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 NFL Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Thought I'd start this as free agency appears to be near. Here is an article from John Clayton about the top 10 free agents and their likely destinations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783433/nnamdi-asomugha-headlines-2011-free-agent-class

Get ready for the wildest free-agency period in the history of the NFL.

With the next NFL labor agreement nearly in place, here's a look at the top 10 free agents and where they might land. More than 400 free agents will be available when free agency begins this week.

(And remember, teams still must sign their own draft choices and scramble to sign undrafted free agents. Plus, trades soon will be allowed.)

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders:

Julius Peppers topped last year's market because of his ability to sack the quarterback. Asomugha, 30, the headliner of this free-agent class, closes off his side of the field to quarterbacks. Over the past three seasons, only 52 passes were completed against him. Like Charles Woodson, who left the Raiders to join the Packers, Asomugha has the type of body that could allow him to play until his mid-30s.

Leading suitors: Houston, Tampa Bay. Dark horses: Baltimore, San Francisco

2. Santonio Holmes, WR, New York Jets:

His off-the-field issues led to the Pittsburgh Steelers giving him away for a fifth-round pick last year. On the field, though, Holmes is the type of stud needed to upgrade a passing offense. He is the Jets' main priority and will command top dollar. As loyal as he is to Rex Ryan and the Jets, he likely will go to the highest bidder, which is why you must look out for Dan Snyder and the Redskins.

Leading suitor: Jets. Dark horse: Washington.

3. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers:

Johnson's 11½-sack 2010 season might make people think he's a one-hit wonder, but consider the circumstances. Johnson played on the other side of Peppers during his first three seasons and registered 10 sacks total. Often, defensive ends on the other side of superstar ends get the sacks because the star gets double-teamed. That Johnson had a career year with Peppers gone says something.

Leading suitor: Carolina. Dark horse: Cleveland.

4. Ray Edwards, DE, Minnesota Vikings:

Edwards is a bigger name than Johnson because he has played on a high-profile Minnesota Vikings team, but he hasn't had a double-digit sack season yet. He's had eight and 8½ sacks in the past two seasons. Still, he has 10-sack potential, and for teams with desperate needs for a pass-rusher, Edwards could be the answer.

Leading suitor: Seattle. Dark horse: Atlanta.

5. Sidney Rice, WR, Minnesota Vikings:

George Edwards, who coached Vikings receivers for years, talked the organization into drafting Rice when he was 20, noting that Rice would become a top receiver in three years. Edwards was right. Even though Rice doesn't have great speed, he's a big-play threat, particularly in a West Coast offense. Rice averaged 15.8 and 16.5 yards per catch in his two seasons with Brett Favre as his quarterback. There are some who believe Rice might be willing to leave the Vikings for the right price, and the price is going to be high.

Leading suitors: Minnesota, Washington. Dark horse: St. Louis.

6. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Carolina Panthers:

Williams was one of the league's top backs in 2008 (1,515 yards) and 2009 (1,117). The Panthers still plan to be a run-oriented team and will do everything to keep him with Jonathan Stewart as a one-two punch.

Leading suitor: Carolina. Dark horse: Miami.

7. Braylon Edwards, WR, New York Jets:

Edwards might go through periods in which he drops the ball, but he's still a top receiver. Not only does he still have 70-catch potential, but his career 15.8-yards-per-reception average is impressive. If he ends up with a run-oriented team, he has the body and the ability to help out as a blocker. If the Redskins can't get Holmes, they might turn their attention to Edwards.

Leading suitors: Jets, Washington. Dark horse: Chicago.

8. Cullen Jenkins, DE, Green Bay Packers:

Jenkins is one of the better 3-4 defensive ends in the game. However, because he's 30, the Packers are expected to replace him with a younger option. Most people around the league believe he's going to be the main target of the Redskins, who are expected to be the big spenders in free agency. Jenkins has a high motor and would speed the Redskins' transition to the 3-4.

Leading suitor: Washington. Dark horse: Buffalo.

9. Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle Seahawks:

Mebane is considered the best 4-3 defensive tackle on the market, which will make him popular in places such as Chicago, Denver and Cleveland. Former Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell now works with the Bears and will probably push to sign him. Mebane also played for Mike Holmgren and could help the Browns switch back to the 4-3. The Seahawks can't afford to lose him, but the price could be high.

Leading suitor: Seattle. Dark horse: Chicago.

10. Johnathan Joseph, CB, Cincinnati Bengals:

With more than $50 million to spend in free agency and re-signings, the Bengals can't afford to let Joseph slip away. Joseph and Leon Hall form one of the league's best cornerback combos. But the teams that don't get Asomugha might come quickly after Joseph, who is an excellent man-to-man coverage corner.

Leading suitor: Cincinnati. Dark horse: San Francisco.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Asomugha to Baltimore might be enough to induce a night of drinking followed up by a 3 AM post or two that I might regret.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/#!/Jay_Glazer

4. Raven

Raven Member

Signing him would be the best thing that's happened to the Texans since drafting Andre Johnson.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So, I've done everything I can to hold back expectations about Aso in a Texans uniform, but when EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE has him linked here, it's damn near impossible. I just don't want my heart broken.....please.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Same here. I keep expecting the Texans to have a press conference talking about how hard they tried, but they're still gonna battle fight, etc.

I told myself I would give the Texans 4 games this season to keep me as a fan. If they blow it, I'll start looking for a new team.

7. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

[​IMG]

8. Ricksmith

I expected that. I've supported the Texans since they started, and I'm tired of McNair and Kubiak. I'm tired of "Is this the year?", tired of "battle fightin'", etc. You keep drinking the kool aid if you want. Firing a coach who took a team from 6-10 all the way back to 6-10 is too "traumatic" to a team and could set them back a few seasons, but changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 isn't?

9. Lil Pun

Here are a few more free agency notes from Clayton:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6795944/wrapping-labor-loose-ends

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't know if you've looked at our opening schedule, but you might want to give them more than four games based on that. Week 12 is usually that magic point -- the spot where we've been 5-7 the last four years. That will tell you whether we have improved or not.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Official timeline:

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The lockout has been pure hell, but having one fastforwarded month of pure nfl offseason action will be a fun ride.

13. conquistador#11

Whoa what did I miss? How did "we" become the leading suitors for awesomegha?

14. Ricksmith

lol, you're like the 3rd person to tell me that. For like the last 3 years I've been telling myself this. I'll probably cave in and stick around the whole season. I'm a sucker for Houston teams, no matter how bad they are :(

15. Lil Pun

Rumor has it Kolb is already looking at real estate out in Arizona.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I like it a lot. Good for Kevin and good for Larry Fitzgerald.

It was a damn shame to see Larry have to suffer through the complete horse**** they put out at QB last season.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I like it too, he's going to eat that crappy those crappy NFC West defenses alive. Plus, we already know he looks good in red and white.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 guys joining the FA frenzy-- Ravens to release McGahee and NT Kelly Gregg(Gregg could return at reduced salary)

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Expect a lot more to join them as teams start doing the salary cap limbo.