Amy died of alcohol poisoning, apparently her alc level was more than 5 times above the drink-drive limit.
London (CNN) -- Singer Amy Winehouse's death this summer was the result of alcohol poisoning, an inquest ruled, as it reached a verdict of "death by misadventure."
A pathologist told a coroner's court in north London that alcohol toxicity was the cause of the 27-year-old's death, with her blood alcohol levels measured at more than five times the legal drink-drive limit.
A family statement, given by spokesman Chris Goodman, said: "It is some relief we finally found out what happened to Amy.
"We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away. It is likely a buildup of alcohol in her system over a number of days.
Winehouse's dad: 'I'd spank her bottom' Tony Bennett misses Amy Winehouse Did Amy Winehouse die during detox? Dr. Drew: Winehouse's 'addiction death'
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence."
The Grammy award-winning artist, who had struggled with alcohol and drug abuse over several years, was found dead at her North London home on July 23.
Her father Mitch and mother Janet were among those who packed the small courtroom at St. Pancras Coroners Court to hear the evidence from key witnesses.
Winehouse's family said in August that toxicology tests had found that "no illegal substances" were in her system at the time of her death but alcohol was present.
Winehouse's soulful, throaty vocals brought the British musician stardom in 2007, but her troubled off-stage life -- chronicled in her top 10 hit "Rehab" -- won her notoriety.
Her death came less than two months after her latest release from a rehabilitation program and weeks after she was booed offstage by disappointed fans in Serbia.
The tattooed London-born singer-songwriter's first album, "Frank," debuted in 2003, when she was 19.
International success came with her 2007 album "Back to Black." She dominated the 2008 Grammys, winning five awards that night and delivering, via satellite from London, a strong performance of "Rehab."
Mitch Winehouse has said he plans to write a memoir, called "Amy: My Daughter," to be released next summer, which he said would tell the story of the Amy that the public never got to know.
So much for the guys here that insisted it was an accident and she went through a successful rehab. I immediately thought of drug overdose or alcohol poisoning.