ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Lockout Edition
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston, houston rockets, lockout, nba Tags
BimaThug is offline Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1867/h...ts-salary-cap/

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

Sponsored Link
baller4life315 is offline Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
Good stuff, Bima. Thanks!

The "Lockout Edition" title pretty much sums up the overall sentiment. Very depressing.

dreamshake97 is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
dreamshake97
dreamshake97 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #48998
question: if the rockets can't offer more than 8.5 a year to NeNe, then how in the world could the Mavs(who have way more under contract) afford to offer Chandler a bigger contract?? are u assuming in your numbers that Les won't go over the salary cap or are u assuming there is a hard cap?? because if their is a hard cap then Dallas won't be able to off chandler anything because they are in like the 70's for payroll i believe??

Clutch is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshake97 View Post
question: if the rockets can't offer more than 8.5 a year to NeNe, then how in the world could the Mavs(who have way more under contract) afford to offer Chandler a bigger contract??
Bima's article is assuming the old rules/CBA were extended. In that scenario, the Mavs would be able to offer Chandler the most money because he's their free agent and they hold his Bird rights. They couldn't do that for Nene.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q26

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

mylilpony is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
mylilpony
mylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34025
Quote:
If the right trade comes along, that Battier TPE (which is not scheduled to expire until next February) could come in handy.
if the lockout extended past this date, would that nullify the trade exception?

Pete the Cheat is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Pete the Cheat
Pete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18897
was Chandler Parson's not included in the calcs because 2nd rounders aren't guaranteed contracts?
Should we assume we retain his rights, but no holds against the cap?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both

I haven't died. Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken

Rockets2K is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Rockets2K
Clutch Crew
Rockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cheat View Post
was Chandler Parson's not included in the calcs because 2nd rounders aren't guaranteed contracts?
Should we assume we retain his rights, but no holds against the cap?
from what I remember, this is correct

I dont recall seeing an article talking about signing Chandler, and 2nd round picks are not guaranteed a contract just by being drafted.

No Worries is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
No Worries
Contributing Member
No Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #584
Signing a FA 5 this season appears to be a long shot. Doing a sign-n-trade for Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan might be more of a possibility, but the Rockets would have to wildly overpay to get Grizzlies or Clippers to not do a straight match and opt for a sign-n-trade.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
The Rockets will have a minimum of approximately $46.81 million in salary commitments to nine players for the 2011-12 season: Kevin Martin ($11.52 million), Luis Scola ($8.59 million), Kyle Lowry ($5.75 million), Hasheem Thabeet ($5.13 million), Flynn ($3.41 million), Jordan Hill ($2.86 million), Terrence Williams ($2.37 million), Courtney Lee ($2.23 million), Dragic ($2.11 million), Patrick Patterson ($1.96 million) and Chase Budinger ($884,293). Actually, Budinger’s salary is not guaranteed until after August 1, but we can safely assume that he’ll survive getting waived before then.
I count 11 guys.

BimaThug is offline Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
I count 11 guys.
Dammit! Yeah, I cut and pasted that from the last update but forgot to change the number after adding Dragic and Budinger.

Good catch. Clutch, if you see this, please make that change. Thanks!

DaneB is offline Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
DaneB
DaneB is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #782
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

Sounds great to wait until 2012 offseason! Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Chris Paul and Steve Nash are amongst the free agents to be available! If we could pick up one of these guys, our team would finally be back in the mix. That is assuming that the player doesn't get injured as often as TMac or Yao. Knock on wood!

rlmjdime is offline Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
rlmjdime
rlmjdime is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #23066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneB View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

Sounds great to wait until 2012 offseason! Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Chris Paul and Steve Nash are amongst the free agents to be available! If we could pick up one of these guys, our team would finally be back in the mix. That is assuming that the player doesn't get injured as often as TMac or Yao. Knock on wood!
An almost 40 year-old Nash? I'll pass on him.

Deckard is offline Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Excellent read, Bima, as usual. You make a strong case for the Rocks throwing in the record dumpster what we end up with as a season after the lockout ends, if it ends, and going "all in" in 2012 with the cap room and our lottery protected 1st round pick. Keeping Chuck, in that scenario, is the balm for suffering through a likely tank job in 2011, along with tossing the young guys out there and seeing what they can do. Yeah, we should tank for a top pick, ala the Spurs back in the day. McHale looks like the perfect hire if Morey wants to lose a lot of games prior to 2012. In that respect, McHale makes sense, because some of us can't see the sense in getting him if we want to win.

CXbby is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
CXbby
Contributing Member
CXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Excellent read, Bima, as usual. You make a strong case for the Rocks throwing in the record dumpster what we end up with as a season after the lockout ends, if it ends, and going "all in" in 2012 with the cap room and our lottery protected 1st round pick. Keeping Chuck, in that scenario, is the balm for suffering through a likely tank job in 2011, along with tossing the young guys out there and seeing what they can do. Yeah, we should tank for a top pick, ala the Spurs back in the day. McHale looks like the perfect hire if Morey wants to lose a lot of games prior to 2012. In that respect, McHale makes sense, because some of us can't see the sense in getting him if we want to win.
I don't think any 2012 FA would be interested, if there was any chance of them being interested in the first place, in a team fresh off of a 2011 tank job.

IF free agency is the route this team chooses to go in, which I have questions whether that is the best route, then I think we would have a much better shot at attracting these guys by winning as much as possible next year, making the playoffs, going as far as possible in the playoffs, and painting them a picture that they are "the one" missing piece to put us over the top.

Dwight Howard already has relationships with both Courtney Lee and Hakeem Olajuwon. If we could win 50 games next year(or the shortened equivalent) with a nice post season run, and can add him without losing any key pieces, that might be enough to sell him on it. Maybe maybe no? One thing is for sure, he is definitely not joining a 20 win team.

ashishduh is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
ashishduh
Contributing Member
ashishduh is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodashishduh is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46962
I'm thinking the over under should be 52 wins next year. Then we can talk about signing Howard with our ~16 mil in space. (we will keep Chuck)

Rocketeer is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Rocketeer
Contributing Member
Rocketeer is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRocketeer is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #554
Nice write up! Always pay attention to Bima's posts, he knows his stuff!

BimaThug is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
BimaThug
Contributing Member
Thanks for the compliments, folks. Just doing my part.

For those thinking about "tanking" the 2011-12 season, that's not exactly what I had in mind in my article. I was referring to "not spending a lot on outside free agents." That is all. The team should (and will) still try like hell to win basketball games. I think TRADE avenues will be pursued MUCH more heavily than free agents over the next 11+ months.

If the Rockets bring back Chuck, you're looking at a 43-win team that also has the following going for it:

--Another year of improvement for Lowry and all the young pups;
--The addition of Marcus Morris; and
--A front office that will be killing itself to make a significant roster upgrade via trade.

Those factors add up to anything but a "tank job" by this Rockets team.

They may not make the playoffs again next season. But it won't be for lack of trying.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaThug View Post
Dammit! Yeah, I cut and pasted that from the last update but forgot to change the number after adding Dragic and Budinger.

Good catch. Clutch, if you see this, please make that change. Thanks!
Not feeling so thuggish now, are we?

rockbox is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
If they institute a hard cap, then it will probably higher than the current salary cap, and we would probably have max contract size cap space this year.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

JayZ750 is offline Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Not that I disagree with the 2012 approach - especially given the fact that more lotto picks for next years draft has to be a good thing...

BUT, he we really see the impact of the T-Will and Thabeet trade. That $8.5 of cap space almost doubles without those guys on the payroll. Hindsight is always 20/20, and the Battier trade did, indirectly, lead to the DMo draft pickup, but it sure woudl be ncie to actually be able to offer a contract to Marc Gasol or Nene... IF the Rockets thought that it made some sense to do so.

Oh well, perhaps the trades effectively are forcing their hand, preventing them from doing so, pushing back they cap space year to the better year anyway, and allowing them to add another lotto pick or two in a deep draft.