1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Eschmeyer: 6 yrs, $20 million!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Baqui99, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The madness continues. The Mavs gave this scrub a 6 year deal worth $20 million. What's next, Thomas Hamilton gets a multiyear deal??? Is Eschmeyer even worth $1 million/year. I know Cuban's got money, but does he really even want this guy? He is a marginal NBA player at best. Last year he averaged 3.4 pts and 4.9 rebounds. According to Cuban's logic, Marc Jackson would be worth like $70 million with his 13 ppg. Centers are getting way overpaid, and I'm glad CD learned his lesson with Cato and isn't doing anything stupid like this

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is stupid, how much cap room does Dallas have!? Not only are they re-signing their own guys, they're going out getting OTHER guys! It's the end of the world when Evan Eschmeyer is worth 20 million dollars!

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Simply amazing and yet, putrid at the same time.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Dang! He was like one of my favorite fantasy players cause he was so underpaid before... This changes everything...

:(

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Ya know, I wonder if Mark Cuban doesn't understand the Salary Cap? It seems that he figures he can just throw money at anything that walks . . .

Nah, I see what he's doing, but it limits the club in making moves for a few years. By signing numerous mediocre players to big contracts, the only thing you can do is sign your own free agents to the max (which isn't a problem of course), and basically have no available cap room when players come up for FA.

I don't know what the Mavs cap situation is, it just appears to me that they eat up a lot of big contracts that could potentially be damaging and unmovable.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

hehe....I say good! Let em mess up their own team. I mean who the heck is this Eschmyer dude?!?!?!?! Bradley on the other hand I believe does deserve his 30 mill. Shoot if we didnt have Cato I say we should have given Bradley 40 mill. Atleast he can block shots like crazy. Now with zone defense he will be a monster.

8. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

On Dallas sports radio, these two are the greatest acquisitions since sliced bread. CBooth leaving for Seattle really messed up their plans. Apparently, Bradley had agreed to a lesser contract to get Booth in Dallas, but when Booth left Bradley stayed with the lesser contract. He just wanted to finish his career in one place.
    They praised Cuban for shoring up the center spot (as well as the core group) till the Duncan (or McDyess) sweepstakes gets here. Cuban also told them that he wasn't finished yet. They're pretty happy playing small line-ups at times.
    They tried to make a list of centers better than Bradley, and I think they came up with like 7.
    (Driving from Dallas to Houston is a pain. If I hear one more "ree-yak' heem" after a lame call about Bradley or David LaFlower, I think I'll scream.)

9. fly75

fly75 Member

Eschmeyer's contract surprised a lot of Nets fans, too. Cuban must have stayed up a coupla nights trying to find a positive statistic to help rationalize this deal.:D

EE is a happy to try to do the nasty stuff that must be done on a court- set picks, foul hard, take a dive. Average rebounder, below average defender, and almost no offense to speak of. Not athletic. Good outlet pass. Intelligent, good court sense.

If the Dallas coaching staff can figure out a way for him to score, he might eventually be worth some portion of this deal.

As it stands, it's a puzzlement.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I expect a trade sometime this season. Maybe Buckner, *Zhi-Zhi, and Eisley all at once.

*-If he stays

11. TexasG

TexasG Member

Actually EE's contract has an out clause after 2 years, and Bradley's contract greatly decreases after the 2nd year. All this coupled with the fact that Juwan's, and Najera's contracts are up plus Nash has an out clause. The MAVS will actually be about $20 mil under the cap. Cuban/ Nellie have been structuring all the contracts this way so that they can make a run at Duncan. Being a big Dallas fan I have learned to trust Nellie's judgement no matter how crazy it seems at the time.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought it was Eschmeyer's contract that decreased after the second year. I don't think they're allowed to have an out-clause so early in the contract.

I think the Mavs actually got very reasonable prices on both centers. Bradley will get about the average salary in the league. Eschmeyer much less than average. That's uncommon for centers. Throw in the fact that they are both better than Cato and the Mavs look a lot smarter than us.