1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Weed Eater/Trimmer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, since moving into our new house, I’ve got a new mower, new edger and new blower that I’m totally satisfied with. Now I just need to complete the package and find a weedeater that doesn’t require me to stop and pull out more spool when it inevitably breaks every 30 seconds....

Something lightweight, powerful and adaptable to those (supposedly) unbreakable strings you see advertised would be nice. I’d like to keep it below $100 if possible. Any suggestions?

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Dude, we all know you meant to post this inquiry in this thread.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I freaking hated weedeaters until I replaced the head on mine with a fast push-n-load line head like this:
    [​IMG]
    I use this line and pre-cut the lines to swap out. It's super strong so I can thwak trees, rock and concrete and it doesn't disintegrate.

[​IMG]

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i've tried three different ones and they all crapped out on me, so i gave up. it's worth $25 a month for me not to have to worry about it.

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How much does that setup cost?

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Paging CaseyH...

8. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

For under $100 you don't really have many options, you are really just looking at the cheapest models they sell (if your looking for gas operated...not sure why you would go electric).

I have a cheaper Troy Bilt with the straight shaft (dual line head) and an edger attachment (which works awesome, much better that a stand alone edger). The trimmer line typically breaks either none or once while I do my yard. The line breaking has as much to do with the operator as anything else.

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

This.

I've always been the guy who mowed the lawn, growing up at home with the folks, to earn money in middle school, etc. But, this year, after hearing me complain incessantly about the heat, my wife finally convinced me to fork over $20 to let the 10 and 11-year-old kids next door handle the mowing and trimming. They do great work for cheap (front and back yards), knock out the job in half the time, and don't need an oxygen tank and a gallon of Gatorade like I do. ;) Child labor FTW!

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Do not buy an electric trimmer, you will regret it if you do. Gas all the way.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

BOOM! I'm famous!

100 is nothing for a trimmer and unrealistic for a decent long term trimmer. Mine was about 400 plus 25 for the trimmer head.

The best spool out there is the Speed Feed head by Shindaiwa. It will fit any good brand straight shaft trimmer, but it comes standard on the Shindaiwa trimmers. If you really hate trimming, get this head and the lower line of the quality name brand trimmers. This will cost you about $220.

Long Explanation:
    The thing that LilPun suggested gives you about 18 inches of line, then you need to change it. the SpeedFeed head I listed gives you 10 feet of line before you need to change (that is with the monster .105" line he suggested, you get more with .095" line) Another thing is, I doubt his small trimmer can spin that head fast enough when it has 4 monster .105 lines at full length. trimming is about speed. The SpeedFeed head works awesome and is easy to load, although I doubt you need to refill it just to trim a single yard.
    Here is the speedfeed in action:
    <object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DA2qoeToSL8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DA2qoeToSL8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Like I said it comes standard on Shindaiwa trimmers but also fits other models

i would suggest the following models

Stihl FS 70 RC-E (awesome)
    Echo SRM-225 (actually available at Home Depot)
    Shindaiwa T242 (comes with the only head/spool you should consider using)

1 person likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Do yourself a favor, get a Stihl or Echo gas string trimmer. I spent a bit more than I planned and got an Echo. Then I hired a lawn service and promptly put the trimmer up on a shelf in the garage.

Years later, after getting laid off, I had to become my own lawn service. I ended up needing to get an inexpensive tune up kit (spark plug, in tank gas filter, and a new gas line, and I cleaned out the gas tank since the gas/oil mixture left in the tank had obviously gone bad. Second pull... the trimmer started right up.

I use mine every week. I went with a generic but thicker square line and I can cut through most anything. I went with straight shaft but didn't go to the one with the multiple head (eg you can replace the string head with a edger). I even find the re-stringing pretty easy. Some people prefer the simple two string heads and I know there is an easy wind head that you feed line simply by rotating the head.

I think there is one Japanese brand that others seem to like but most landscapers in the area use Stihl or Echo if that is useful info. I know people tend to recommend getting from a specialty dealer but mine came from Home Depot.

Addendum, appears CaseyH added the name of the Japanese brand (Shindaiwa) and the speed feeder design. I have seen the video showing how it works... it does look like a smart system but I've gotten comfortable hand winding new line on mine (simply remember to go the direction of the arrows, use the right width and length of line, and use your thumb to space the line as you wind and its easy).

#12 NewRoxFan, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Get a speedfeed dude. I have an Echo srm280t and probably the same spool you have. It is the best 25 bucks I ever spent to put the SpeedFeed on it. Holds more line, works 100% of the time, and dispenses lines easier. Not to mention loads hassle free.

Oh yeah Kawasaki and RedMax also make very good trimmers. The redmax tr2350s is very light.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've had a convertible CRAFTSMAN for which I have a WEEDEATER (the spinning lines), an EDGER (a spinning blade), and a BLOWER (that's what SHE said, a spinning fan). I've had these for maybe 5 years now, and haven't failed me.

Basically, I'm a mowing Mexican with a one-motor machine for the lawn, then I trim with the weed-eater the areas where the mower can't reach, then I edge the concrete areas, then I use the blower to gather all stuff on the concrete into a pile. That's it.

Why don't you invest in a CONVERTIBLE solution if you need those three, señor drummer? :confused:
    <object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_JyoK8RVPE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_JyoK8RVPE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    ^ First :48 seconds. :cool:

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm tempted, believe me, but I've always been a DIY kind of guy and there's nothing quite like that feeling you get once you've finally finished and your yard looks awesome. It makes me want to dance!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L-SVb0sqd4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if embedding doesn't work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-SVb0sqd4A

Seriously, this bbs seems to have at least one expert on just about every subject. And CaseyH seems to be the go-to guy on all things lawn related.

I took his advice on mowing high (the mower level, not me) this weekend after having a buddy who works at a country club tell me that's the same thing they do with the grass at their courses. Mow high, less water. It's only been 4 days but I think I can already tell a difference. Yard doesn't look yellow anymore.

Might give this one a try since it's the cheapest you listed. I guess you get what you pay for and I'm not going to get crap for $100.

16. Bandwagoner

Go and get it at a mower specialty shop that carries most name brands. I don't know where you are but Southwest Mower Service carries Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Redmax. You can check them all out there. the Echo's are the same price as at Home Depot, plus you get actual customer service and cheaper trimmer line. The Shindaiwa might be cheaper once you calculate the cost of the SpeedFeed head which is a must buy in my opinion. Just remember to compare the cheapest, lightest, commercial grade trimmer from each brand. they should all be in the 200+ dollar range with Stihl costing a bit more because of the engine design.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i still mow and weed the flower beds, just let them come once a month to do the edging and trimming. the feeling's not the same (i imagine since i was never able to actually get done trimming and edging before the spools broke), but it's still nice. :)

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Around $40 at Lowes.

19. updawg

updawg Member

I'll echo that echo and Stijl are highly regarded

I'll get one of those once my pos ryobi finally dies. It barely starts and I'm constantly stopping to replace line. But it barely hangs lives just to torment me

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BUMP

Where did you get that? I need a trimmer/edger combo and would like to come out of it around $170 or less if that's possible. I realize Stihl is badass, but I just can't pay $400-$500 right now for a trimmer/edger.

For some reason CaseyH's posts were deleted. If anyone else has advice on a trimmer/edger for a decent price, please let me know.