ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] 25 Years Ago: Ralph Sampson Punches Jerry Sichting
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston rockets, nba, ralph sampson, reflections, retro rockets Tags
Clutch is offline Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
25 years ago today the melee broke out in Game 5 of that series. Been thinking a lot about that era because of the McHale hire, so just some reflections on that.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1626/r...erry-sichting/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
mvpcrossxover is offline Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
mvpcrossxover
mvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33363
too young......

ClutchFans' Achievement

durvasa is offline Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
Mid-80s playoff basketball was before my time as an NBA fan, though I used to watch those games on ESPN Classic and NBA TV (and the internet).

I thought Heinsohn wasn't too bad as an analyst. I didn't recall overt bias or homerism from him during the broadcasts that I watched. I'm not familiar with his more recent work.

And what was Sampson's excuse for those thrown punches? Was he known to be hot head before this game?

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
And what was Sampson's excuse for those thrown punches? Was he known to be hot head before this game?
Sampson said he had set a pick earlier in the game on Sichting, and for revenge, I think Sichting and/or Walton popped him during the possession that led to the fight. If you watch a video clip of the infamous interview of Ralph as he headed into the tunnel after being ejected, he explains his side of the story. But, it's NSFW with one big expletive thrown out on national tv.

Ronnie Brewer is my favorite Rocket of all time!

Clutch is offline Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr of Dunk View Post
Sampson said he had set a pick earlier in the game on Sichting, and for revenge, I think Sichting and/or Walton popped him during the possession that led to the fight. If you watch a video clip of the infamous interview of Ralph as he headed into the tunnel after being ejected, he explains his side of the story. But, it's NSFW with one big expletive thrown out on national tv.
Back then that was a little shocking to hear on live TV. That Ralph interview is at the 6:49 mark of the video.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

FranchiseBlade is offline Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
FranchiseBlade
Contributing Member
FranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemFranchiseBlade is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
Mid-80s playoff basketball was before my time as an NBA fan, though I used to watch those games on ESPN Classic and NBA TV (and the internet).

I thought Heinsohn wasn't too bad as an analyst. I didn't recall overt bias or homerism from him during the broadcasts that I watched. I'm not familiar with his more recent work.

Heinson was a total homer back then. It was very hard to watch as a Rockets fan. He wouldn't be totally overt like Gene Peterson or something, but any questionable calls or things and he always portrayed it as if the Celtics were in the right. That guise of neutral broadcaster made it almost worse.

Give us iron give us rope

ross84 is offline Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
ross84
Contributing Member
ross84 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodross84 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35197
I enjoyed the commercials a bit more. The Jeep looked pretty good for its time.

BetterThanI is offline Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
BetterThanI
Contributing Member
BetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchBetterThanI is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #24131
Sampson never should have thrown those punches. Having said that...

I watched those Celtics play for years and years, and to say they played "more physical basketball" is an understatement. Fact is, they got away with bloody murder on the court, because they (and the Lakers*) were the media darlings of the NBA.

Sichting had Ralph in a full-on bear hug. His arms are completely wrapped around his friggin' torso. That was typical Celtic "defense" at the time, and Ralph had simply had enough. He snapped, and took it too far. But f*@K the NBA for not calling that crap at the time.

* with the Lakers, it was the exact opposite. They got every foul call imaginable. If you even breathed on Magic, AC, Worthy or Kareem, they got the call. Don't get me wrong: they were great players, worthy of being HOFers. But the league helped them greatly.

The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.

mikol13 is offline Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
mikol13
Contributing Member
mikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 2009
Member: #42553
I remember it well. I had every newspaper clipping from the Houston Post and Chronicle taking up all four walls in my bedroom, wish I would have kept them.

That Rockets team was a lot of fun to watch, shame there was so much going on behind the scenes destroying the team. I still wonder on occasion what could have been, we'll obviously never know.

As far as the series goes, too much going against the Rockets, Sampson letting the pressure get to him, an immature Akeem, cocaine and a great team in the Celtics. Still, fun to watch but heartbreaking as well.

Boston had a world of talent and proved why they were one of the greatest teams ever.

Rocket River is online now Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Rocket River
Rocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #828
that 'fight' ended Ralph . . . i think he aggrevated the back injury

I detested the Celtics
everyone complained about The Garden - it was the *****tiest court in the league. Nicks and Bumps odd ball bounces
They got EVERY Call possible.
[i.e. their ridiculous home record]
Just an overall *****ty club and organization

Rocket River
still don't like them

"Under Ideal circumstances. . . people perform Ideally. . . the measure of a person is how the perform under less than Ideal conditions." - Omen River

I VOTE FOR SAM CASSELL AS THE NEXT ROCKETS COACH!

Adding to may Arya List: Snottie Pippen, CHRIS BISH

Deckard is offline Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket River View Post

that 'fight' ended Ralph . . . i think he aggrevated the back injury

I detested the Celtics
everyone complained about The Garden - it was the *****tiest court in the league. Nicks and Bumps odd ball bounces
They got EVERY Call possible.
[i.e. their ridiculous home record]
Just an overall *****ty club and organization

Rocket River
still don't like them
Totally understand the feeling! Walton threw Sampson to the floor during the melee, with Ralph landing square on his back, but the incident I recall is a brutal fall by Sampson in Boston, where he fell quite a distance, landing on his back. I think that was what really did him in. All his subsequent problems stem from that fall, IMO. That, and lousy medical care compared to what we have today.

Clutch, I loved the comments, especially these two:

The 1985-86 Boston Celtics won 67 games and were an astounding 40-1 at home (still a record). This was a great team, considered by some to be the best NBA team ever (the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls may argue that). Yet, isnít it interesting that while critics dismiss the Houston Rocketsí titles in the 1990′s because they didnít face Michael Jordan and the Bulls, they donít say the same about this particular Celtics team with respect to the Lakers. After all, Boston lost to Los Angeles in the Finals in both 1985 and 1987 but were denied the chance to face the Lakers in í86, courtesy of the Rockets.

I count no less than 6 players in this series that could completely solve the pivot problems of the 2011 Rockets ó McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton, Olajuwon, Sampson and Jim Petersen. Yes, Jim Petersen. Hell, even Granville Waiters would give Jordan Hill a run for his money. I mean, back then, the Rockets had so much size they were converting franchise centers to power forward. Todayís Rockets are begging 6-foot-4 fours to slide to five.

You are absolutely right about Jim Petersen. I made the same comment a couple of days ago (somewhere) that Petersen would be the starting 5 on this team, and better than anyone we have. An underrated player, in my opinion.

Hakeemtheking is offline Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Hakeemtheking
Hakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
25 years ago today the melee broke out in Game 5 of that series. Been thinking a lot about that era because of the McHale hire, so just some reflections on that.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1626/r...erry-sichting/
Dang it, I can't believe it was a quarter of a century ago. Lawd it...

roswell raygun is offline Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
roswell raygun
roswell raygun is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2002
Member: #3818
Ralph should punch him again today, just to celebrate.

DaDakota is offline Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Loved that team, thought we had many championships ahead of us......danged drugs.....

DD

DonnyMost is offline Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
DonnyMost
Contributing Member
DonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 2003
Member: #12152
Quote:
Speaking of biased announcers, there was broadcaster Johnny Most, the legendary radio voice of the Celtics who spoke like he had gravel in his throat. Most teed off on Sampson on air while calling the play:

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24870
Yeah it was a different time and league regarding the lack of suspensions from that game. In game 5 of that year's WCF when Dream and Mitch Kupchak got thrown out I remember Heinsohn saying that neither player should be thrown out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inivsible Fan
This thread makes Clutch the Bear cry.
"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

Help Typhoon Rebuilding in the Philippines
http://www.fil-minnesotan.org/

or if you don't like helping people
http://www.reverbnation.com/theserfs

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24870
Nice trip down memory lane. I was only in my teens then but still remember that game. Watching the highlights brought back one other thing that I remember about the game was that Sampson was playing a great game, having scored 12 already when he was thrown out relatively early in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inivsible Fan
This thread makes Clutch the Bear cry.
"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

Help Typhoon Rebuilding in the Philippines
http://www.fil-minnesotan.org/

or if you don't like helping people
http://www.reverbnation.com/theserfs

Clutch is offline Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
Clutch
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Totally understand the feeling! Walton threw Sampson to the floor during the melee, with Ralph landing square on his back, but the incident I recall is a brutal fall by Sampson in Boston, where he fell quite a distance, landing on his back. I think that was what really did him in. All his subsequent problems stem from that fall, IMO. That, and lousy medical care compared to what we have today.
Yep... it was that same season. In looking at the box scores, it turns out it was just a couple of months before this series -- March 24, 1986 in Boston. Sampson was getting a rebound off right baseline (if I recall right), and he slipped and fell. But it was a nasty fall... it was like he slipped straight back or didn't land right. Both feet went out from underneath him and he fell like a tree straight on his back. His head thudded against the floor. It was ugly... they took him off the floor on a stretcher.

And I think you're right -- better medical care likely would have kept him out longer to heal... at least they would have spotted that it was still affecting him. I'm sure the playoffs being less than a month away played a role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Clutch, I loved the comments, especially these two:

You are absolutely right about Jim Petersen. I made the same comment a couple of days ago (somewhere) that Petersen would be the starting 5 on this team, and better than anyone we have. An underrated player, in my opinion.
Thanks, Deck. Agreed -- sure would be nice to add a big man like that right now. Petersen was big (looking back at that video he was bigger than I remembered) and could play a physical style. The Ivory Tower was pretty good for a 3rd round pick (51st overall) and it certainly helped him going against Dream and Ralph each day in practice. I met him and Robert Reid at North Oaks Mall back in the day... loved that team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota View Post
Loved that team, thought we had many championships ahead of us......danged drugs.....
You can say that again. Losing Lucas sucked though Reid did play well, but the two-year suspension for Lloyd and Wiggins in 86-87 was like a punch in the gut to me. Both players were underrated in my opinion.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #19
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
1. Thanks for posting, Clutch. Amazing how quick Hakeem is. His defender often looks like he's standing in cement.

2. Looking at the 85/86 Celtics roster, I counted 6 guys who went on to become an NBA head coach at one time or another: Bird, McHale, Ainge, Carlisle, DJ, and Sam Vincent.

3. Watching Bill Walton in the videos, I wonder if Yao Ming can give the Rockets a 86 Walton-like season or two. Walton's foot problems make Yao Ming look like Cal Ripken Jr., and yet he managed to give that team 20 good minutes a game that season.

4. Jim Petersen does color commentary for the Wolves local broadcast. Whenever I listen to him on League Pass, he's always praised the Houston Rockets and is generally articulate and objective and not the bitter terrible homer some of the local broadcast guys are (Tommy Heinsohn, for one, has only gotten worse with age). I wouldn't mind having him do the Rockets broadcast one day.

Dave2000 is online now Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #20
Dave2000
Contributing Member
Dave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2971
Learned a lot from reading the article, thanks a bunch Clutch

btw, there was a Craig Ehlo sighting when they showed the bench. Was he ever a big part of the team? I think most in my age group ('82 born) only remember him as the guy guarding Jordan vs. the Cavs in his fist pump FT shot