1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Who is the best flopper in the game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Braga, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Braga

Braga Rookie

Anderson Varejao, Cavs C 22%

Manu Ginobili, Spurs G 18%

Luis Scola, Rockets F 7%

Derek Fisher, Lakers G 6%

Kevin Martin, Rockets G 5%

FAST FACTS

Five of the top 10 vote-getters (and 12 of the 32 named) played professional basketball outside of the U.S. before joining the NBA.!.!.!. Through Sunday, Phoenix forward Grant Hill—who did not receive a single vote—had drawn a league-leading 55 offensive fouls, followed by Dallas guard J.J. Barea (51 fouls; 3% of the vote), Boston center Glen Davis (50; 1%); and Utah guard Devin Harris (49; 1%).

Based on 152 players who responded to SI's survey

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1183844/index.htm#ixzz1I9G44OAs

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's probably fair that they're in the discussion... surprised Fisher isn't winning by more though. I bet Parker, Chris Paul, Andrei Kirilenko, Pau Gasol, and others are pretty high.

P. Gasol isn't a flopper per se, though I'm sure it's just because he's too tall. More of an arm-flailing screamer. ;)

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In before the "Kevin Martin is not a flooper, he just expertly draws contact" bulls**t.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If we were to draw a fine line I would agree with that statement.

I hate flopping though, I won't ever condone it. Hilarious to see Varejao and Ginobili getting called out. Viva america do sul!

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

LOL.. WTF..? where is gay47

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why is the poll called "the best floppers." I refer to Varejao and Ginobody as the worst floppers.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

south american domination

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kevin Martin doesn't flop, he's just skinny

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Kevin Martin is not a flopper, he just expertly draws contact.

Seriously though, not having a superstar puts the Rockets at a disadvantage against almost every other good team. We don't get the superstar treatment from the refs that others do. If Martin's ability to flop/draw fouls helps even it out a little, then I'm not complaining.

#9 DCkid, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Where the heck is Andrei Kirilenko on that list???

He should be at least 90%.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This. I would say there is a difference in good flopping vs. bad flopping. Bad flopping is Ginobili faking a wuss charge during the All Star Game, or AK47 doing what he does. Even Scola does bad flop jobs on defense occasionally that I dont agree with.

But Martin initiates the contact on OFFENSE by being aggressive and taking it to the hoop. Every once in awhile he gets the defender in the air and jumps into the defender to get the foul.... but thats a gimmie by a mistake on the defenses part, and an excellent pump fake.

Your right that the Rockets are not going to get anything from the referees like most of the superpowers in the NBA get so why not capitalize on the defenders mistakes to help win games?

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Where's Dirk??....He cant drive to the basket without trippin all over himself... He doesnt fall down much with his flopping like the other Euros but watching him drive to the basket is hilarious...He honestly looks drunk to me!!!.........Paul Pierce should be up there too...I hate watching him play

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Raja Bell needs to be high on the list.

14. Prince

Prince Member

there has to be an official awaard from the NBA refs every season. and must be presented with a compilation video. that would be awesome.

15. passdarock

passdarock Member

this^^^

16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Dirk, AK47,.... WTF

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I don't have a problem when a player gets hit and he exaggerates the contact to make sure the refs see it. There's also nothing wrong with a guy making a move to draw contact from another moving player, like K-Mart leaning into people after he gets them off balance. But there's two things we need out of the game:

First, guys falling back or down after NO contact. If a replay shows that the guy was never touched, then he should be suspended.

Also, guys running into another player who is just standing still with his hands up. If a player has both feet on the ground, isn't leaning, and his hands are straight up, the the guy running into him is charging.

18. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Martin and Scola are not floppers. They are aggressive and attack the basket. A flopper is a guy who falls to try to get a foul - someone who exaggerates contact; it's deceptive.

Martin is very savvy and if a defender isn't careful, Martin will force you to foul him. These are legitimate fouls...

19. spence99

spence99 Member

I agree it needs to be cleaned up, but I think the refs should get suspended before the players. The players do it because it works. If the refs stop rewarding the floppers, then the players will stop. The refs are the ones that should be punished for allowing all this.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Where's Kobe? I know he takes a lot of hard fouls, but sometimes he just starts to fail his arms around and yell when he wasn't even touched.