1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Mom and Pop Food in Houston?? Chinese, Burgers, Tacos, Etc.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketboi, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

I love trying new stuff, especially local restaurants, so what do you fellow clutchfans recommend.

For me

Big Burger V
    Tel-Wink
    Dot Coffee Shop
    Timmy Chans
    Hungry Farmers BBQ

Anything else?

2. Fatty FatBastard

Huh?

Are you joking?

You do know I follow this, right?

1 person likes this.
  3. Fatty FatBastard

Here's Fatty's review on places that needn't a review.

Bib Burger V ? Never heard of the place. I've been to every Wards burger places. And I've tried every burger place in 10 years. 0

Tel-Wink: Much like the Tele Tubbies, they sucked. F-

Dot Coffee shop. I don't see the JoJo's fish window?!? F-

Timmy Chans? Meh. We all know it is better, but history made whitey enjoy chop suey, which we all think sucks, so who are wwe to judge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5webrAZSBhY

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

taco nazo ftmfw.

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Dot Coffee Shop is a neat place, but the food is meh. If you're down there between around 6am and 3pm, head down telephone road, just south of 610, and visit Frank's Grill. It's a real hole in the wall . . . probably has been there for more than 60 years. When you go inside, it looks like hell, but the food is great -- best hashbrowns anywhere.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Pete's Fine Meats 5509 Richmond Ave @ Chimney Rock

They have a great cheese steak sandwich. I love the Buffalo burgers.

It's run by the same family for decades. They work off the honor system, no ticket, when you pay your bill. You order what you want at the food counter, and walk up to the register and tell them what you ordered.

The older generation(mom and pop or grandpa/grandma?) is at the register, while the younger generation is cooking up food.

I love the place.

#6 BetterThanEver, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I didn't know that it had reopened. I used to love eating there as a kid when my grandparents lived in the area. They also have great milkshakes. I'll definitely have to stop by some time and check it out again.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My 2 favorite places to eat in Houston. Never had a bad meal at either place.

BBQ Inn on Crosstimbers

Best Fried Shrimp and Fried Chicken in Houston. Family owned since 46. People either love or hate the chicken fried steak though. Personally I find it middle of the road at best. Gravy is buttery which is very different but some people rave over it.

Pappy's Cafe on I-10

Best chicken fried steak in Houston (or Austin for that matter). Great French fries. Entire menu is good.

9. Buck Turgidson

Awesome, used to go there all the time in HS in the early 90's, glad to know it's still there.

Ever had the cfs at Oussie's?

10. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Hungry Farmer on Airline has the Best Fruit Punch Koolaid!!!!!!! Trust me, that's worth the visit alone.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I have and it's really good. Solid A and grade CFS very tough.

Where can I get a good CFS in Austin or the hill country? Since moving up this way last summer my search has been disappointing.

12. Buck Turgidson

I gave up trying years ago. It's one of those things I refuse to order in a restaurant anymore because I always end up comparing it to what I or my relatives can cook at home. Inevitably it's a crazy-thin piece of meat with a crap-ton of batter on it. I make mine just about the exact opposite.

Example: I just thought of a place I love - never had their cfs but everything I've eaten there has been pretty good to very good - Hondo's in Fredericksburg. Looked up their menu & here's their cfs description: A 6oz. USDA Choice Sirloin Steak pounded thin to cover our platter, and double buttermilk battered..... That is just frikken wrong.

If you ever find one, let me know!

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

miller's cafe: burgers
    chopstix; chinese on bunker hill and I10

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

For burgers I went to this place called Stantons grocers. It may sound like a shack. This is why it is good. Its in The Houston Press as the best burger place in the city. I dont know about best but it is real good and big.

On Chinese? Me and my wife love to go to Star Chinese buffet. This however is key info. There are many of them and none of them taste alike. So go to the one by Gulfgate Mall. It is fresh food and spicy kick to alot of menu items. They have fresh seafood and fresh dishes there. Very nice atmosphere.

For Cajun its obvious Pappaduex if you havnet tried it before. For more hole in the wall? I really dont chance many cajun hole in the walls. Wish someone would suggest a nice place for Gumbo to me as well.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

not sure if serious. that place is always packed, but it's not because of the food. more because it's cheap and in a prime location.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah I like that place though and its good food. It is packed but sometimes I like the freshness of the food. If you want bigger buffet? There is the China Garden which is also high on my favorites list. If you want more expensive? I suggest Todai for special occasions.

17. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

i agree. its not that good. anyone know any cheap chinese places round town?
    they always have the best food

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Happy all cafe. Cheap Montrose location. This place is better but its delivery and pickup mostly. Thats why i didnt mention it.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Look for taco trucks.

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

Tornado Burger