1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Draft History vs Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 3, 2011.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Quick study here. Since their inception I looked at the Texans first round position and then the team right before and right after to see how the Texans have done. This is not scientific obviously, but I wanted to see is since their inception how many teams have picked before or after them and then gone on to make the playoffs. Obviously the Texans have not in this timespan.

Format: (Draft pick, Team before, Team after) except the two years where they picked 1st, where it goes (team after, team after)

2002: (Panthers, Lions) Panthers have been to the playoffs and the Superbowl
    2003: (3, Lions, Jets) Only the Jets have made the playoffs
    2004: (10, Jaguars, Steelers) Both have made the playoffs, Steelers have won multiple Superbowls
    2005: (Chiefs, Bengals) Both have made the playoffs since
    2006: (1, Saints Titans) No team before obviously, so using the two teams who picked after them, both have made the playoffs since and the Saints one the Superbowl
    2007: (9, Dolphins, 49ers) Dolphins have been to theplayoffs
    2008: (26, Dallas and San Diego) Both have been to the playoffs. Out of fairness, the Texans were supposed to pick 8 between New Orleans and Cincinnati. Both have also been to the playoffs.
    2009: (15, New Orleans, San Diego) Both have been to the playoffs
    2010: (20, Falcons and Bengals) Falcons went to the playoffs this year, Bengals did not

Since 2002, only three times has a team picked before or after the Texans in the draft and not made the playoffs since then. The Lions and the 49ers are the two teams to do it, and they might be two of the three worst run franchises in the NFL this decade.

So in 9 years, of the 18 times a team has picked before or after the Texans in the draft (or the two who picked third in a year the Texans went #1) 15 of those teams have been to the playoffs.

#1 justtxyank, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

some of it is misleading...Big FA acquisitions (Brees) or injuries or weak divisions explain some of those before and after us ....But yeah I see what you're sayin...We havent done a good job with the talent we have accumulated over the years

3. justtxyank

The point isn't really about who or what we've drafted, just that teams in about the same position as us each year are able to somehow right themselves and get to the playoffs and yet we still have not done that. Be it draft, free agency, etc. the teams who finish the year with approximately the same record as us go to the playoffs the majority of the time and we have never been.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Jets went to the Super Bowl in 1969.

5. justtxyank

Meant to say playoffs, fixed.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No worries, we're on the right track bros.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It takes time, justtxyank. Look at how much we've improved since Kubiak took over. We went 6-10 his first year and just four short years later, we're 6-10.

We're on the right track.

8. DonnyMost

But hey, at least we're waiting until the final cut to release all the good players!

GO FIVE-N-SEVENERS!!!

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The question is, are the owners around the league as impressed by those teams as they were with our gutsy comeback-failure against Baltimore on MNF?

That's the true litmus test.

10. ima_drummer2k

More importantly, what does Bum Phillips think? Bum Phillips is a Houston ICON, after all.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

As long as the keep fightin' every week......

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Holy crap - that IS fascinating: Hey, everybody - did you know the Texans' first 9 years have been a big bag of fail? No??????? Well then does justtxyank have a study for you!

All jovial kidding aside (and I *know* you spent time on this, so I’m not belittling your effort or handiwork; it's a nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort put into it), we *all* know how bad it’s been. No one here is trying to spin the past 9 years as some sort of success.

So I’m sincerely asking: What’s the point? Do we really need *another* angle showing us how horribly the franchise has been run? Is this cathartic for you? Honest to God question. I would very much appreciate a sincere response. What does another, “Boy, do the Texans suck!” thread accomplish? ‘Cause you're pretty much pounding a box of Elmer's glue into submission at this point, IMO.

(And allow me to cut this off at the pass: I'm not trying to censor; I'm not meaning to imply these threads are wholly without merit; I don't disagree with your conclusion and I certainly have no interest in refuting it. You're 100% right. But... so what?)

13. justtxyank

:rolleyes:

A friend of mine were talking and he said to me "They are almost there. Just think about how little talent they've had. They've been building up from scratch." That made me wonder how other teams who were at the same level as the Texans in a given year have done when they were in the same spot. So I looked into it.

At least they've learned from their mistakes though right Ric! Hooray Texans!

14. DonnyMost

Apparently Ric can talk out of both sides of his mouth at the same time.

"You're such a douche! (All kidding aside, I think you're ok... for a douche, kidding! maybe.)

Texans PR department strikes again!

15. ima_drummer2k

I can't speak for justtxyank, but for ME, it's honestly very therapeutic to talk/laugh about how much we suck. It's like the fat kid who goes through life constantly joking about how fat he is, when really, all he's doing is trying to hide the pain of self-loathing...

1 person likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

You're such a fat ass, 2k. All kidding aside though, you look fine. Except for all that blubber. Kidding! Seriously though, why are you so fat? Put down the twinkie, it's not helping.

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

This is accurate. It's made me feel better to think through how bad they are as crazy as that sounds lol.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fair enough. I obviously understand it, given I specifically asked about it. I'm more of "look ahead" guy; I don't find any solace or reason to continually rehash the past. But, that's me - I'm neither right or wrong here, and neither are you - I was just curious the motivation.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well I can't speak for Ric but the other NFL owners happen to agree with your friend. In fact, they told Bob McNair that he had the Texans on the right path to being winners...in 2025.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The issue is really free agency and finding people later in the drafts. For example with the 1st adminastration name the pro bowlers found with the 2 round.