1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will Chuck Hayes sign for after this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jan 27, 2011.

?

How much will Chuck Hayes sign for after this season?

1. $2-3 million

32.8%
  2. $4-5 million

57.3%
  3. $6-7 million

9.9%
  1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is one of the best post defenders in the league. Top 3 one on one defender and a top 10 team defender. The only thing he does not do is block shots on defense. IMO with defense alone, he's worth at least 2-3 million per year. Prior to this year, he was still a liablity on offense, but now, he's at least not a negative on the offensive end. He has a variety of post moves and can make his FTs at a respectable rate now. How much do you think he will get on the open market after this year? My bet is that he'll get around MLE type of money, although it probably will be reduced after the CBA. So maybe around $5 million per year, which will still be a discount give that Amir Johnson signed for 5 years $34 mil and drew gooden signed for 5 years $32 mil. A lot of people forget, but Chuck is only 27 years old and will continue to get better for the next few years.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think it will be 2.5 - 4 million range depending on how the rest of the season plays out. If I had to be put it more exactly, I'd guess 3 million.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

3 for 10 million, as much as his offensive game has improved he still can't hit anything outside of 10 feet. His defense is ELITE and that will get him paid, I wouldn't be suprised if both Boston and Chicago made a run at Chuck in the offseason.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I voted $2-3M as wishful thinking. Of course, that sort of involves lowballing a steady workhorse of ours over the years. Ideally, you would like to see him get a lucrative deal since he's earned it playing for pennies up until this point (like Scola was), but at the end of the day it's a business. I'll trust Morey to sort this out.

6. durvasa

Chicago would make a lot of sense. If NY becomes a big player in the East, some teams might want him as the designated "Amare-stopper".

7. devilsdandruff

does he have a shoe deal?

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Depending on how the new CBA will be structured and if he does make one of the all defense team I do feel Chuck will be due for a raise next season. If I had to guess I would say the low end would be around 2.5 million and the high end would be 5 million.

1 person likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

$5 mil. easily. :)

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just hope it is longterm...

Chuck deserves the security of a 5 year deal...

11. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I think chuck will be an UFA, so Morey can't just try to low ball him. I know that teams for a fact will overpay for players. It happens every single year. Chuck is one of those players that can take over a game defensively and that's a very hard thing to find. I'm sure execs watched him shut down Amare and Griffin these past few days. Garnett has also had a problem scoring on Hayes even when he was in his prime. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if chuck can hit a 15 foot J next year.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Chuck's making ~$2M this year. I expect him to bump that to $3.5-$4M/year.

13. durvasa

I could see the Rockets putting extra years on the contract to keep the cost per year a little lower. Maybe also add a lot of incentives in there as well.

Is there a limit on how many years a contract can be with the current CBA (obviously, it would be subject to change)?

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

Probably about 3.5M per year.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Just wanted to point out that there is a big gap in terms of "perceived" value and "actual" value on the open market. It is very rare that we get somebody that outplays their contract (not including max level and rookie scale contracts). Last year most people thought Lowry was going to get 3-4 mil per year, but ended up with 6 mil per year. Brad Miller's contract was 5 mil per and Scola's was 9.5 mil per. I think in general people tend to overvalue our players in terms of trade purposes, but undervalue them in terms of their worth on the open market.

1 person likes this.
  16. joesr

joesr Member

Peak (ofcourse because of Yao)

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

$4 - $4.5 million per.

18. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I believe 5 with another team and 6 with your own team.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

20. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

Give chuck a contract! I admit that I have been skeptical of Chuck in the past, but I am now firmly a believer. His play across the board is unbelievable. Take a look at how we did when he was out for a few games. He makes a world of difference!