1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Argument Against Tanking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Tehk, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Rockets Tehk

Rockets Tehk Member

Didn't you ever hate when you and your friends played a competitive game and you had that one friend that sucked...however this friend would fly under the radar and not play at all just so that they could get the advantage later on? Examples are like the board game Risk, where he wouldn't attack while everyone else battled to win and he just cleaned up at the end of the game. Didn't you hate that kid? Essentially Tanking is the same thing. Its lame and its not honorable. PLAY THE GAME.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Isn't this what America was like during the earlier part of the 20th century? They were exactly just--to quote you--

To further quote you:
    Now let me relate that to USA's situation:

"Examples are like the war game World War I and World War II, where America wouldn't attack while everyone else battled to "win" and America just cleaned up at the end of the game."

Hope thats enough evidence to counterargument you?

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What the hell does this have to do with anything? :confused:

Nice red herring.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Id rather clean up the board. Honorable? LOL! Ok tell that to Gasol and Kobe after the trade.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

6. amaru

amaru Member

Not a good argument. In your scenario you just got out played by your friend.

I'd rather win than get out played.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't think the Rockets have to worry about "to tank or not to tank." They appear to be tanking whether they want to or not. At the rate they are going now, they should have a very good lotto position.

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

WHAT THE HELL ARE U TALKING ABOUT? GTFO here! :rolleyes:

9. Happii

Happii Member

With the schedule the Rockets have now, we would have to tank. By the end of the season I won't be surprised if the Rockets get a top 10 draft pick.

10. Rockets Tehk

Rockets Tehk Member

I was being rhetorical and was a "If this were another game" approach and how tanking would compare to being someone who used a lame tactic to get ahead in the game. The only counterargument I received was the old "America fought a war for freedom" response. I am trying to put "Tanking" in a perspective that would make more people feel the same way about the concept of tanking as I do.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rox are 3-15 vs teams with winning records and probably will get MUCH worse, I don't think we will need to tank if we continue on this pace.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

It helps if we trade away hustling bustling veterans like chuck hayes and shane battier...just remember 2006

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

It appears we really have no choice in the matter. When you're not good enough to win, you lose anyway. Period.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ah yes, Juwan Howard... :confused:

Honestly, we can talk about it until we turn blue in the face but Morey won't do it. Our best hope is that we cave and Morey decides to develop the youngsters. We are only 3.5 games ahead of the Clippers and 1 game in front of the Warriors, their is a realistic shot at a top 10 pick even with our veterans playing big minutes.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Picking between 7-10 is not the same thing as picking in the top three. Let's be clear, if the Rockets suck, they need to suck harder than a crack w****. Right now they are just bad enough to miss the playoffs, but not bad enough to have a decent chance of landing a top three pick. It's a horrible place to be.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Ends justifies the means in sports and many aspects of life...

17. lalala902102001

The Rockets are not tanking at all. They are playing their veterans long minutes and nailing their young players to the bench. How is that tanking? They are losing because even their best effort is just medicore and not good enough to beat elite teams.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

1999 - Charlotte moves from #13 to #3
    2000 - New Jersey moves from #7 to #1
    2000 - Vancouver moves from #4 to #2
    2001 - Clippers moves from #8 to #2
    2001 - Atlanta moves from #5 to #3
    2002 - Houston moves from #5 to #1
    2003 - Detroit moves from #6 to #2
    2005 - Milwaukee moves from #6 to #1
    2005 - Portland moves from #5 to #3
    2006 - Toronto moves from #5 to #1
    2007 - Portland moves from #7 to #1
    2007 - Seattle moves from #5 to #2
    2007 - Atlanta moves from #4 to #3
    2008 - Chicago moves from #9 to #1
    2009 - Memphis moves from #6 to #2
    2009 - Oklahoma City moves from #4 to #3
    2010 - Washington moves from #5 to #1
    2010 - Philadelphia moves from #6 to #2

In 12 years of the current lottery result there were 36 Top 3 picks.

18 times teams originally set to pick outside the Top 3 jumped into the Top 3(50%). Only 3 times was this team set to pick #8 or worse (8%). 12 times this team was set to pick #7, #6 or #5.

In other words 33% of Top 3 picks are for teams with the 5th, 6th or 7th worst record that season. What I'm trying to say is that a Top 10 lottery odds is still worth shooting for especially if you can be within a shot of the #7 worst record (41.7%).

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Card games of similar nature (the rummy family) are always played that way if you actually want to win...

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Precisely. That is what shooting the moon in Hearts or going Nil in Spades is all about.