1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm disgusted at The Houston Press and their readers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Some dude from Illinois wrote about chili last week and how, even though he has lived 17 of his precious 29 years here, he just has to have beans in his chili.

I posted to him stating that historically chili was originally made without beans and that variations should be named something otherwise. Like if you make fajitas with chicken you don't call them "fajitas." You call them "chicken fajitas." He pretty much agreed...

And then the **** hit the fan.

Just about every other post stated how much beans DESERVE to be in chili. In mother ****ing Houston. This is our response?

Some other idiot writer there even gave beanboy kudos for his bean defense.

I know we've got a lot of yankees making there way down here lately, but this is offensive!

Defend our Chili! There are no BEANS! EVER!

Here is the original thread:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2010/12/yankee_chili_recipe.php#comments

And here is the true slap in any Texan's face:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2010/12/comment_of_the_day_beans_and_c.php#comments

2 people like this.
  2. Fatty FatBastard

I fully expect some responses on this. I'm mortified by the apathy of Houstonians, and the like.

3. TheReason

TheReason Member

Dude, who the f**k cares?

1 person likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It is impossible for there to beans in chili.

If you have beans, you have soup, not chili... and if you have beans and insist on calling it chili, it makes you look like a moron.

Chili = meat, juice, spices. Nothing more. (Spices means a wide variety of things from cayenne to jalapeno juice.) It's also appropriate to put a little masa in to thicken it a bit.

Garnish with shredded cheese and saltine crackers.

My best: venison, beer, fresh chili powder, and assorted stuff.

And don't get me started about Cincinnati Style.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dei

Dei Member

Fatty is a bean nazi.

6. rimrocker

I can tell by this post that you are a Nazi Communist intent on subverting the true American and Texan cultures to make way for your presumed rule over our wimpified populace. Well Mr. TheReason, head back to the Soviet Union or Cuba or wherever you people come from cause there ain't no beans in chili and fine patriots like myself and FFB will never let you diminish the great dish that is chili. Your plot will fail and chili will lead us to victory!

Who cares? I, rimrocker, care!

Wolverines!

#6 rimrocker, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. Fatty FatBastard

Dude, are you from here? I'm guessing you ain't.

8. rimrocker

Yet another member of the fifth column trying to get us not to care about the things that made this country great.

On chili, FFB speaks the truth.

9. Fatty FatBastard

I love beans. Red beans and rice is one of my favorite things to eat.

But chili isnt red beans and rice now, is it.

Much like the same author just went and talked about his liking of chicken fried steak. I replied that it might be better to him if he poured beans on it.

10. Fatty FatBastard

It's beginning to seem so...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DprFYMvWXLo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DprFYMvWXLo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

While not as passionate as FFB, I do agree. It's like chocolate milk. You don't continue to call it "milk" after mixing in the syrup. Chili with beans is an entirely different monster.

Oh, and LOL at one person's comment:

12. Fatty FatBastard

To be fair, I was OK with those comments. It was this article that pissed me off.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2010/12/comment_of_the_day_beans_and_c.php

The Original guy was respectful. This mocking idiot, Cathy Matusow (appropriate name on the last end) was not. This is the one I want to embarrass, mock, and ridicule.

13. rimrocker

For you miscreants:

The word chili is short for chili con carne, which literally means peppers with meat.

Notice that we don't call the dish chili frijoles or chili con carne y frijoles.

Chili, meat. No beans.

It's not just a personal opinion, it's the law. (At least in Texas.) The Texas legislature declared chili (not bean soup) to be the official dish of the great State of Texas... and rightfully so, since it was invented in San Antonio.

(See: House Concurrent Resolution No. 18, 65th Legislature, Regular Session (1977))

LadyBird made chili for LBJ. Here's her recipe:

[​IMG]

I don't see the word beans anywhere on that historical document now housed in the LBJ Presidential Library.

Why do you people hate Texas?

14. rimrocker

Chili with beans is soup.

As my granpappy used to say:

"If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans."

15. rimrocker

It's worse than I thought.

A quick Google of celebrity chile recipes is full of horror. The following include beans in what they call chili:

Johnny Cash
    Ronald Reagan
    Barack Obama
    Al Roker

Thankfully, the following know the truth:

Kenny Rogers
    John Tower

16. Dei

Dei Member

Well, if the rest of the world came to know chili as a dish with beans in it, what can we do; and I'm not saying we should just stand here, I'm really asking, "what can we do?" It's like how the word "awful" now just a negative adjective when it originally meant, "full of awe."

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is the best post in this thread.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fatty FatBastard

And I just got done doing your mom and some random dreg that was next door.

It wasn't pretty, but it was necessary.

I now understand why you.. I got nothing. That was nasty.

Touche to whatever you do in the future.

19. Raven

Raven Member

And this is how Empires are lost, by subverting sacred traditions. With beans.

:mad:

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So I guess they did not hire your friend? :mad: