1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cowher Watch (and other Coaches)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Whether you believe Kubiak is gone or not, and whether McNair would even hire Cowher, trying to keep up with the other two threads was too much. Here is the place for Cowher talk.

1 person likes this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

I would like Cowher very much...but would also be pretty satisfied with Gruden. Regardless...I think an overall organizational attitude change is required. Mediocrity should not be an accepted goal/result.

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

We want Cowher, We want Cowher, We want Cowher, ... ! :grin:

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Castor, can you make this into a "Coaching Watch" thread?

Seems like the discussion may end up pertaining more to people other than Cowher over time.

It can be a nice companion to the official offseason thread.

#4 DonnyMost, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Obviously, I would love Cowher. I would love Gruden, also.

My gut tells me that the defensive staff gets wiped clean, Kubiak stays, and McNair targets one of the two defensive head coaches that should be fired: John Fox and Marvin Lewis. I think in 2011, you'll see Kubiak still as the head coach/offensive guy, and you'll see John Fox or Marvin Lewis (I think I'd prefer Lewis) as the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator.

I think McNair pulls this little move, the fan base gets something of a small charge, and McNair laughs and smiles to himself behind the scenes, thinking that he still won.

But I actually think something like that might work just as well, if not better than Cowher. I just think Cowher would be able to land better free agents.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Castor, could you change the title to "Coaches that may have boner for the Texans" That will make the new thread feel right.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

From the other threads...

[​IMG]

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Do I make you horny? Randy? Do I make you horny, baby, yeah, do I?

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Best Case Scenario: McNair cleans house Jan 3rd, Cowher introduced at Press Conference in early February.
    Odds: 10%

Second Best Scenario: McNair mostly cleans house Jan 3rd, Parcells/Holgren-esque GM/President introduced at Press Conference in February, Kubiak's ultimate fate decided later.
    Odds: 10%

Next Best Scenario: McNair fires the defensive and special teams staff Jan 3rd, John Fox (or other top flight) introduced as D-Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach in February.
    Odds: 42%

Worst case scenario: McNair fires the defensive staff, permits Smith/Kubiak to rebuild the group on their own.
    Odds: 38%

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Most Likely Scenario: My head explodes

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you guys are setting yourself up for such disappointment.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd definitely prefer a new HC, but this idea doesn't induce vomit from me. I just don't know that a high profile DC like Fox or Marvin Lewis will want to come here with Kubiak still here -- Kub's head will be on the chopping block next season if things don't turn back around to at least 9-7. They may want to go somewhere with more of a chance to last, not to go coach under a guy who's had five years and can't get it done, and is coming off maybe his worst season.

I'm liking the Billick/Marvin Lewis approach more by the day, assuming Cowher is a longshot. Otherwise I don't like our chances to bring in a very high profile DC.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure everybody here assumes Kubiak will be back.

Bush is definitely gone.

Smith is on the bubble.

For Kubiak to go, IMO, it would take the following:

1) CBA gets worked out

2) Denver offers to take Kubiak off McNair's hands

3) A better coach negotiates a reasonable salary with McNair

Steps 2 and 3 will need to happen virtually at the same time, as McNair isn't going to send Kubes to Denver unless Gruden, Cowher, or Dungy are holding a pen in his office ready to sign paperwork.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can see John Fox as our D Coordinator, but if that means keeping Pubes, then hell no...start from scratch with a proven HC...

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If that is the case, Bob McNair is a pathetic old man

16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

No kidding... per the usual for rooting for the Texans.

Cowher's record is 140-90-1 in 15 years. 8 division titles, 10 years in the playoffs, 1 superbowl victory in 2 appearances.

Another interesting fact: Cowher's first 6 years as coach included 6 playoff appearances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher

17. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Bill Cowher or bust.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm actually ok with that IF Rick Smith is fired as well. No more Kubiak-hand picked front office personnel. He can choose his offensive staff, but that's it.

19. Major

Major Member

I would disagree. I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that Kubiak is gone, especially if Cowher is available and interested. He's a win in all ways. On the field, you have no doubt you have a great coach. McNair likes stability, and Cowher has proven he can stay a long time at one place and maintain success. And he's a financial windfall - sure, you'll pay for him. But the credibility & attention it brings you, and the presumed success on the field, and the immediate increase value it brings to your franchise all more than pays for itself. There's no good reason NOT to bring in Cowher either from a business or football standpoint.

Whether they get Cowher or not, I'm not sure. The mix of teams he's interested in is interesting - NY, Miami, Houston. Talent-wise, NY & Houston seem to be in the best position. The fact that Miami is even in the mix suggests that location is important to him, so that seems to favor NY & Miami (he's an east-coast guy).

I think it's hard for NY to fire Coughlin - he has a SB win, his team has shown flashes of absolute brilliance this season, etc. Even if they don't make the playoffs, I don't think they let go of him. He's proven he can coach and that he can handle and manage the NY spotlight. Miami, on the other hand, has a relative unknown at HC. If they get word that they can get Cowher, they should do it without hesitation; their guy may be great, but they know Cowher is, so make the move.

The real question for me is whether Cowher would pick Miami or Houston if given the option. I think that would be the biggest determining factor.

1 person likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And these are the facts that I state to the duncecaps that keep spouting off that Cowher took 14 years to get to the Super Bowl.

However, I am not expecting Cowher to come here. I think McNair fires the defensive staff, KEEPS Marciano and the special teams staff under direction of Kubiak, and allows Kubiak to rebuild this defensive staff under a watchful eye. I sincerely doubt Marvin Lewis or John Fox are coming here for the simple fact that this was a HISTORICALLY bad defense. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I just think these are the facts. I would be the happiest person on this board if none (or at least some) of this didn't happen, but this franchise has done nothing for me to keep my faith in them. It's a lonely, lonely feeling being a Texan fan, and I don't think it's going to get any better.