ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

View Poll Results: the REAL "IF" Question in Rockets history, Twin Towers (healthy) would win
1 ring 8 8.25%
2 rings 22 22.68%
3 + rings 67 69.07%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

[youtube]Ralph Sampson vs MJ Bulls 87
Tags:  basketball, bulls, houston rockets, movies, nba, ralph sampson, retro rockets, youtube Tags
tinman is offline Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485

Box score:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...701150CHI.html

Sponsored Link
DreamShook is offline Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
DreamShook
DreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
Whoever this guy is we should trade for him. He looks like a solid player.

BucMan55 is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
BucMan55
Contributing Member
BucMan55 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBucMan55 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2005
Member: #16159
Cool stuff. Thanks Tinman.

OMG Dream didn't take the most shots?? Is Sampson ISOing Olajuwon??

Seriously though great team defense on Jordan. 43 points?? On 43 shot attempts??

--Indiana Jones

tinman is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucMan55
Cool stuff. Thanks Tinman.

OMG Dream didn't take the most shots?? Is Sampson ISOing Olajuwon??

Seriously though great team defense on Jordan. 43 points?? On 43 shot attempts??
43 minutes!

makman is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
Sampson

DaDakota is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
He was so good, danged cocaine screwed up that team....Mitch Wiggins and Lew Lloyd, all they had to do was admit it and it would have been an out patient program and 30 day suspension, instead they denied it, got tested and 2 year ban.....

Then Lucas later too....the three best guards...gone in under a year....to drugs.

FRACK !!

DD

solid is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
solid
Contributing Member
solid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2406
People forget or never knew how good he really was. With he and Dream, oh yeah, multiple championships. Injuries have robbed the Rockets of much success. (plus stupid contracts, horrible drafts, goofy trades, and not knowing when to give up on certain players)

mvpcrossxover is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
mvpcrossxover
mvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmvpcrossxover is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33363
damn, i wish 2k had rockets classic teams so i can beath the bulls

ClutchFans' Achievement

Prince is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Prince
Prince is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPrince is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPrince is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPrince is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #41044
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid
People forget or never knew how good he really was. With he and Dream, oh yeah, multiple championships. Injuries have robbed the Rockets of much success. (plus stupid contracts, horrible drafts, goofy trades, and not knowing when to give up on certain players)
if only Yao didn't get injured as well as Tmac ( mentally).

mdrowe00 is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
mdrowe00
mdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2008
Member: #35949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman

I was a teenager when this was happening.

I remember that Ralph Sampson was my favorite player in those days. I stayed up late to watch the playoff games. The Twin Towers were the rage. And they were going to win rings for years.

I also remember how sad I was when "Stick" got traded to Golden State a couple years after this.

Ralph Sampson was a polarizing player for the Rockets fanbase back then. Nostalgia has a way of lightening the collective mood (especially with the current straits of the team), but I remember about as much disgust with Sampson from the public and the media as there was admiration.

Ralph was the type of player who could dominate a game and disappear in a game at the same time. He could handle the ball like a guard. He could run the wings like a small forward. He could control the paint like the best of big men.

He could seem so small at times. He could vanish for seemingly no good reason. He was never what anyone seemed to expect he should have been.

A lot of people back then thought Ralph was weak. A guy who shied away from physical contact. A guy with a tough name, but a soft game. It wasn't all of Sampson's skill that moved him out of the pivot when Olajuwon came....it was his weakness.

I never really got the disgust Sampson generated from most of the local media (Fran Blinebury and Eddie Sefko, in particular), but it was evident in practically anyone who had their ear to the Rockets' locker room door in those days.

You couldn't win with Sampson. He'd wilt and fold. He wasn't tough when the game was tough. He was weak-willed. He didn't try, and he didn't care.

Ralph could change the game....if he ever decided to play it.

After all this time.....I still don't know if any of those assertions was completely true.

All I really remember is that Ralph Sampson was, at one time, my favorite Rocket.

And I'm glad I can't remember why. I might be tempted to change my mind....

...and I've got enough bad memories......

rockbox is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
The teams of the 80's were just incredible. There is a reason MJ didn't win until the 90's.

solid is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
solid
Contributing Member
solid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrowe00

I remember that Ralph Sampson was my favorite player in those days. I stayed up late to watch the playoff games. The Twin Towers were the rage. And they were going to win rings for years.

I also remember how sad I was when "Stick" got traded to Golden State a couple years after this.

Ralph Sampson was a polarizing player for the Rockets fanbase back then. Nostalgia has a way of lightening the collective mood (especially with the current straits of the team), but I remember about as much disgust with Sampson from the public and the media as there was admiration.

Ralph was the type of player who could dominate a game and disappear in a game at the same time. He could handle the ball like a guard. He could run the wings like a small forward. He could control the paint like the best of big men.

He could seem so small at times. He could vanish for seemingly no good reason. He was never what anyone seemed to expect he should have been.

A lot of people back then thought Ralph was weak. A guy who shied away from physical contact. A guy with a tough name, but a soft game. It wasn't all of Sampson's skill that moved him out of the pivot when Olajuwon came....it was his weakness.

I never really got the disgust Sampson generated from most of the local media (Fran Blinebury and Eddie Sefko, in particular), but it was evident in practically anyone who had their ear to the Rockets' locker room door in those days.

You couldn't win with Sampson. He'd wilt and fold. He wasn't tough when the game was tough. He was weak-willed. He didn't try, and he didn't care.

Ralph could change the game....if he ever decided to play it.

After all this time.....I still don't know if any of those assertions was completely true.

All I really remember is that Ralph Sampson was, at one time, my favorite Rocket.

And I'm glad I can't remember why. I might be tempted to change my mind....

...and I've got enough bad memories......
I remember some of that criticism, but I always thought he was kind of moody, he was mentally a bit shaky, but his physical skills were phenomenal.

JLOBABYDADDY is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
JLOBABYDADDY
JLOBABYDADDY is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJLOBABYDADDY is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrowe00

I also remember this. I think I was about 9 or 10, sneaking back into the living room after my parents went to bed on a school night to watch the Rockets play on HSE (((LOL))) channel 31 I believe it was on "Warner Cable". I think Bill Worell was calling the games back then too. I wanna say he called the Astros on the same channel if I remember correctly.

mdrowe00 is offline Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
mdrowe00
mdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmdrowe00 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid
I remember some of that criticism, but I always thought he was kind of moody, he was mentally a bit shaky, but his physical skills were phenomenal.

I remember how Ralph took on the challenge of defending Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the Western Conference Finals against the Lakers in 1986, solid.

Akeem (before he was Hakeem—or was he always Hakeem and everybody just spelled it wrong?) got most of the accolades for how the Rockets dominated that series in winning it in five games......

.....but I remember when The Dream got ejected in the fourth quarter of that game five for fighting with hired goon-turned-GM Mitch Kupchak.....

....that it was Ralph who finished that game for the Rockets. And finished off the Lakers.

I never doubted him after that game. If I ever really doubted him at all.

Like I said, I was Stick's biggest fan.

Whatever else he was or wasn't, Sampson deserved more fans than he got here......

heypartner is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox
The teams of the 80's were just incredible. There is a reason MJ didn't win until the 90's.
spot on. Akeem destroyed the defending champion Lakers in '86, but then had to beat arguably the best team in the history of basketball, the '86 Celtics to win it. and then cocaine.

mdrowe00 is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #16
mdrowe00
[QUOTE=JLOBABYDADDY][QUOTE=mdrowe00]I was a teenager when this was happening.

Quote:
I also remember this. I think I was about 9 or 10, sneaking back into the living room after my parents went to bed on a school night to watch the Rockets play on HSE (((LOL))) channel 31 I believe it was on "Warner Cable". I think Bill Worell was calling the games back then too. I wanna say he called the Astros on the same channel if I remember correctly.

Those were the days, JLOBABYDADDY.

...or nights.....if you want to get technical........

DaDakota is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypartner
spot on. Akeem destroyed the defending champion Lakers in '86, but then had to beat arguably the best team in the history of basketball, the '86 Celtics to win it. and then cocaine.

HP,

Do you remember what Pat Riley wrote on the black board before those games?

He only wrote one thing.

"Keep Hakeem off the offensive boards"

And they could not do it....man that team could have been special...dang.

DD

mdrowe00 is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
mdrowe00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota
HP,

He only wrote one thing.

"Keep Hakeem off the offensive boards"

And they could not do it....man that team could have been special...dang.

DD

Mitch Kupchak did it.....for the final 8 minutes or so of game five of that series, DD.

No wonder Kupchak got that Lakers GM job.....

....Might explain where Riley got the idea for the hired muscle impersonating the New York Knicks in the early 1990's.......

heypartner is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota
HP,

Don't remember that. But have vivid memories of Pat Riley being interviewed after game 4 saying, "We didn't know he was this good. We have to change something."

And I guess that ended up being the Kupchak 4th Q game plan.

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
His game suffered from heart failure throughout his career - and that was before any injuries took their toll. When he was on, he was incredible. But that was a switch nobody could figure out how to flip.

Ronnie Brewer is my favorite Rocket of all time!