ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion

Ron Paul Responds to TSA: Introduces 'American Traveler Dignity Act'
Tags:  movies, ron paul, youtube Tags
Rashmon is offline Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #481
Rashmon
Contributing Member
Rashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRashmon is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1537
I heard that highcrop has a letter to the forum in this edition...

Sponsored Link
rhadamanthus is offline Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #482
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
rhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8186
Alaska joins Texas in drafting/considering restrictive legislation on permissible TSA pat-down techniques.

This after a state-representative was "felt-up" repeatedly due to mastectomy scars.

rhadamanthus is offline Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #483
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
rhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrhadamanthus is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
I really, really cannot stand everything about the TSA and DHS.

How to get anything past a TSA scanner with nothing but some sewing skills

Video at the link.

Quote:
I’m publishing this video because I want the world to know how much danger the American Transportation Security Administration is putting all us all in with their haste to deploy the expensive, invasive nude body scanner program. When the machines came out, we were told that the invasion on our privacy, doses of radiation, and trashing of our Constitution were necessary because the old metal detectors weren’t good enough. That “non-metallic explosives” were a threat, even though no one has boarded a plane in the US with any type of explosive in nearly 40 years. But while America was testing these devices, Rafi Sela, who ran security for Ben Gurion airport in Israel, which is known for being one of the most secure airports in the world, was quoted saying he could “overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to take down a Boeing 747,” and Ben Gurion therefore refused to buy scanners. The US ignored this warning, and Mr. Sela never publicly explained his statement. But it stuck with me.

As a scientist, engineer, and frequent traveler, as well as the first person to sue the TSA when they rolled out the scanners as primary in Nov. 2010, I studied and learned about both kinds of scanners currently in use by the TSA. Here are several images produced by TSA nude body scanners. You’ll see that the search victim is drawn with light colors and placed on a black background in both images. In these samples, the individuals are concealing metallic objects that you can see as a black shape on their light figure. Again that’s light figure, black background, and BLACK threat items. Yes that’s right, if you have a metallic object on your side, it will be the same color as the background and therefore completely invisible to both visual and automated inspection.

It can’t possibly be that easy to beat the TSA’s billion dollar fleet of nude body scanners, right? The TSA can’t be that stupid, can they?

Unfortunately, they can, and they are. To put it to the test, I bought a sewing kit from the dollar store, broke out my 8th grade home ec skills, and sewed a pocket directly on the side of a shirt. Then I took a random metallic object, in this case a heavy metal carrying case that would easily alarm any of the “old” metal detectors, and walked through a backscatter x-ray at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. On video, of course. While I’m not about to win any videography awards for my hidden camera footage, you can watch as I walk through the security line with the metal object in my new side pocket. My camera gets placed on the conveyer belt and goes through its own x-ray, and when it comes out, I’m through, and the object never left my pocket.

Maybe a fluke? Ok, let’s try again at Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport through one of the TSA’s newest machines: a millimeter wave scanner with automated threat detection built-in. With the metallic object in my side pocket, I enter the security line, my device goes through its own x-ray, I pass through, and exit with the object without any complaints from the TSA.

While I carried the metal case empty, by one with mal-intent, it could easily have been filled with razor blades, explosives, or one of Charlie Sheen’s infamous 7 gram rocks of cocaine. With a bigger pocket, perhaps sewn on the inside of the shirt, even a firearm could get through. It’s important to note that any metal object of any size can use this technique. …and I don’t urge you to try to bring contraband through security, as the nude body scanners often have false positives: so while the metal on your side might get through, a button on your shirt or a sweaty armpit might “look suspicious” and earn you a pat down anyway.

Now, I’m sure the TSA will accuse me of aiding the terrorists by releasing this video, but it’s beyond belief that the terrorists haven’t already figured this out and are already plotting to use this against us. It’s also beyond belief that the TSA did not already know everything I just told you, and arrogantly decided to disregard our safety: anything to force Americans to give up our liberty to the federal government and our tax dollars to companies that are in bed with that government. The nude body scanner program is nothing but a giant fraud, which should come as no surprise after the Fast & Furious scandal that sent thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels and cost a Customs and Border Patrol agent his life. THIS is a disgrace. So let’s fix this problem — now — before the terrorists take this opportunity to hurt us: the TSA must immediately end the nude body scanner program, and return to the tried-and-true metal detectors that actually work, and work without invading our privacy, as well as implement better solutions for non-metallic explosives, such as bomb-sniffing dogs and trace detection machines.

The TSA is worse than ineffective: they are an epic fail placing us all in danger. Beyond the scanners, Demand of your legislators and presidential candidates that they get rid of this $8B a year waste known as the TSA and privatize airport security. Ask for their commitment to our rights in exchange for your vote. And no matter which party is in the White House or holds on to Capital Hill, the issue of ending TSA abuse is of interest to all Americans; it’s NOT a partisan issue. We must all stand together and demand an end to the organization that molests our families while placing us in danger by directly ignoring blatant security flaws.

Thank you.
Over 1 BILLION dollars spent on this pointless theater. Anyone still think this had anything to do with your safety? Anyone else convinced this was just another obvious case of "corporations milking government out of money for some vague cause"?

This whole program is a money-grubbing fraud. The only thing these scanners achieve is making the politically-connected folks making them rich.

Note: I don't agree with every opinion of the quoted transcript above.

Last edited by rhadamanthus; 03-07-2012 at 07:22 AM.

adeelsiddiqui is offline Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #484
adeelsiddiqui
Contributing Member
adeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadamanthus View Post
I really, really cannot stand everything about the TSA and DHS.

How to get anything past a TSA scanner with nothing but some sewing skills

Video at the link.

Over 1 BILLION dollars spent on this pointless theater. Anyone still think this had anything to do with your safety? Anyone else convinced this was just another obvious case of "corporations milking government out of money for some vague cause"?

This whole program is a money-grubbing fraud. The only thing these scanners achieve is making the politically-connected folks making them rich.

Note: I don't agree with every opinion of the quoted transcript above.

LOL, awesome. The best part is them putting up a million dollar machine at tiny airports with less than 10 gates. And then they have 15 employees trying to run the damn machine.

MoonDogg is offline Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #485
MoonDogg
MoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 1999
Member: #972

rhadamanthus is offline Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #486
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
TSA now "threatening" media outlets not to cover the story above about their colossal security "blunder"

Security through not reporting the flaws of said security. Yeah, that'll work.

Oh wait....a 2010 paper in the Journal of transportation security already revealed this enormous loophole...

I really can't stand this crap.

(courtesy of slashdot)

MoonDogg is offline Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #487
MoonDogg
MoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemMoonDogg is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Quote:
TSA now "threatening" media outlets not to cover the story above about their colossal security "blunder"

Oh wait....a 2010 paper in the Journal of transportation security already revealed this enormous loophole...

(courtesy of slashdot)

Invisible Fan is offline Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #488
Invisible Fan
Contributing Member
Invisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3318
Quote:

(courtesy of slashdot)
I was thinking about posting the youtube of the offending topic, but was too lazy to find this article.

In short, all you gotta do is place metal objects on the side and it'll hide in the black background.

zomgwtflmao

Why they haven't just plastered a blue background and scan people twice (turn 90 degrees) with a firmware update is beyond me...

rhadamanthus is offline Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #489
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Fan View Post
I was thinking about posting the youtube of the offending topic, but was too lazy to find this article.

In short, all you gotta do is place metal objects on the side and it'll hide in the black background.

zomgwtflmao

Why they haven't just plastered a blue background and scan people twice (turn 90 degrees) with a firmware update is beyond me...
Here you go:

NMS is the Best is offline Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #490
NMS is the Best
NMS is the Best is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNMS is the Best is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44005
Major Airport Ousts TSA Screeners Opting for Private Ones

Quote:
The Orlando Sanford International airport, one of the busiest in the nation, has announced that it will be opting out of using the Transportation Security Administration workers to screen passengers. The announcement is significant as it could lead the charge for other airports in the nation to reduce the more unpleasant aspects of the unpopular federal agency.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...r-private-ones

A step in the right direction...

My ignore list:
DaDakota
AroundTheWorld

SunsRocketsfan is offline Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #491
SunsRocketsfan
SunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSunsRocketsfan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5387
new south park episode tonight was about the TSA

Watch the episode here
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...everse-cowgirl

jo mama is offline Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #492
jo mama
Contributing Member
jo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejo mama is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5805
"mind if i touch your balls, sir?"

Hightop is offline Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #493
Hightop
Hightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2011
Member: #49674
"A toddler in a wheelchair is stopped by the TSA at ORD (O'Hare Airport in Chicago) and forced to into a sequestered area. On his way to a family vacation in Disney, this 3 year old boy is in a body cast for a broken leg. Despite assurances from his father that "everything is ok", he is physically trembling with fear while he watches his two siblings, mother, father, grandfather and grandmother pass through along with everyone else...only to be singled out."

rhadamanthus is offline Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #494
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
TSA is scared of real scrutiny, and denies Bruce Schnier a chance to refute each of their arguments in front of congress.

Quote:
earlier today, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure held a hearing titled 'TSA Oversight Part III: Effective Security or Security Theater?' ... In a blog update, Bruce Schneier says that 'at the request of the TSA' he was removed from the witness list. Bruce also said 'it's pretty clear that the TSA is afraid of public testimony on the topic, and especially of being challenged in front of Congress. They want to control the story, and it's easier for them to do that if I'm not sitting next to them pointing out all the holes in their position. Unfortunately, the committee went along with them.'"

MoonDogg is offline Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #495
MoonDogg

NMS is the Best is offline Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #496
NMS is the Best
NMS is the Best is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNMS is the Best is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44005
Enough is enough. Time to privatize the TSA.

My ignore list:
DaDakota
AroundTheWorld

adeelsiddiqui is offline Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #497
adeelsiddiqui
Contributing Member
adeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the pointsadeelsiddiqui is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14300
I see 8-10 TSA agents sitting around doing nothing every single time I fly into IAH. Just sitting there chilling.

However, on Monday Mornings, there is always a line 100 people long trying to get through security and to their flight.

thadeus is offline Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #498
thadeus
Contributing Member
thadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13962
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS is the Best View Post
Time to privatize the TSA.
**** that. It'd get even worse. Let's just stop being a nation of fraidy-cats and scale back airport security to pre-9/11 levels.

rhadamanthus is offline Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #499
rhadamanthus
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus View Post
**** that. It'd get even worse. Let's just stop being a nation of fraidy-cats and scale back airport security to pre-9/11 levels.
Exactly. There's no need for stupid wasteful theater.

Alternatively, if you're that chicken ****, you shouldn't be flying. Your odds are higher that you'll die due to an airplane crash than a terrorist attack.

Hightop is offline Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #500
Hightop
Hightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHightop is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2011
Member: #49674
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus View Post
**** that. It'd get even worse.
Why? The airlines aren't going to hire security who piss off their customers.