ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Five Rockets Who Came Out of Nowhere
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston, houston rockets, nba Tags
Jeff is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Jeff
Clutch Crew
Jeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #7
The Undiscovered Country: Five Rockets Who Came Out of Nowhere

Sponsored Link
jump shooter is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
jump shooter
Contributing Member
jump shooter is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1342
Good read. Is Matt Maloney still on the rockets payroll? LOL

jump shooter is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
jump shooter
Contributing Member
jump shooter is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1342
My two favorites are the 2 Chuckys.

rockets934life is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
Good read, you could have really added Mario Elie to the list. I believe he was going from team to team when we got him and nobody thought much of the move at the time.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

Clutch is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump shooter
Good read. Is Matt Maloney still on the rockets payroll? LOL
He's not. He's been off for a few years.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Depressio is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Depressio
Contributing Member
Depressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Mar 2009
Member: #39392
Here's to hoping Ishmael Smith is another out-of-nowhere undrafted player that does well!

Von Wafer could be considered for this list, too.

alexdapooh is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
alexdapooh
Contributing Member
alexdapooh is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7856
No love for Sam Mack?! That guy could score

GRENDEL is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
GRENDEL
Contributing Member
GRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemGRENDEL is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8213
The 2 Chucks are the standouts to me as well. Funny I knew about Matt Maloney back in college because my brother used to play ball with him when they were at Penn. Needless to say I never expected him to show up and be a big part of the Rockets at any point.

http://flicksfan.blogspot.com/

KDavis is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
KDavis
Contributing Member
KDavis is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2005
Member: #16342

Did we really pass on Tim Hardaway? I don't remember that, could someone fill me in on the back-story?

John Wooden

giddyup is offline Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
giddyup
Contributing Member
giddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donegiddyup is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3438
Other favorites from the past that come to mind:

Major Jones (FA I think) and Caldwell Jones
Walter Berry (All-American at St. Johns who took years to find a niche with the Rox finally)
Billy Paultz (an ABA refugee who was a poor man's Bill Laimbeer without the nastiness.... just the shooting)
Allen Leavell (late draft pick-- started for years at PG)

DaDakota is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
SOLID, and loved every letter of it.

Others to note - either struggling or about out of the league.

Bill Willoughby
Lewis Lloyd
Vernon Maxwell
Andre Barrett
Avery Johnson
Oscar Torres
Von Wafer
David Wood

DD

eric.81 is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
eric.81
eric.81 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineeric.81 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineeric.81 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3391
Really fun article to read... great little trip down memory lane.

weslinder is online now Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
weslinder
Contributing Member
weslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18282
Great article!

Clutch,

Just a suggestion:

Let the authors of these blog posts post them, so that we can give the rep for it. I read the article when you tweeted it, came in to rep Jeff, and was denied.

Guys, this is not a reliable journalistic source. Hold off on the torches and pitchforks. Who the hell even is Jeff Balke? Never heard of him. Houstonpress.com is also just a blog, not a credible source.

tinman is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota
SOLID, and loved every letter of it.

Others to note - either struggling or about out of the league.

Bill Willoughby
Lewis Lloyd
Vernon Maxwell
Andre Barrett
Avery Johnson
Oscar Torres
Von Wafer
David Wood

DD
Come on DD, you know Maxwell played for 6 seasons after the Rockets was signed as the starting point guard for the Sixers (the logic of Max as a PG with Stackhouse as a SG made no sense though)

Avery Johnson, come on man, you know he became a Spurs favorite after leaving the Rockets.

tinman is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Thanks Clutch and Jeff,

Instead of most people here crying havok and let slip the dogs of war,
you have restored my faith in Clutchfans

macho87 is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
macho87
macho87 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmacho87 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47447
When I seen the home page, I thought Moochie died or something.

Clutch is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslinder
Clutch,

Just a suggestion:

Let the authors of these blog posts post them, so that we can give the rep for it. I read the article when you tweeted it, came in to rep Jeff, and was denied.
I like that idea. I checked with Jeff on this one and fixed the initial post... I'll check with Derek, Bima and others on future comments threads.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

RV6 is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
i thought the homepage was saying the rockets signed moochie "out of nowhere" ...scared me for a sec.

Jeff is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Jeff
Clutch Crew
Jeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets934life
Good read, you could have really added Mario Elie to the list. I believe he was going from team to team when we got him and nobody thought much of the move at the time.
Thanks. Mario didn't make the list because he was playing in the NBA prior to joining the Rockets. They actually made a trade to get him, but he did certainly improve his career standing here.

Jeff is offline Old 11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
Jeff
Clutch Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdapooh
No love for Sam Mack?! That guy could score
He was definitely on the short list, but didn't quite make the 5.

Speaking of, feel free to add your own, particularly if you know any old timer examples.